• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting Styles Illustrated

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Paul Ulibarri. My putting style is very similar to his, probably because he helped me develop it. Regardless, he is one of the best putters in the sport.

http://youtu.be/mDXlv1AG7eg

I remember Feldberg saying that he used to spin putt but changed to Climo's style in order to have shorter comeback putts on misses. I was under the impression that Dave's style was very close to Kenny's. This is for shorter putts only, Dave uses a spin putt for his step through putts.

So BroD, what's the difference between "Push Putting" and "Pitch Putting"? Previous to this thread, I have heard the terms used interchangeably.

The difference doesn't honestly merit a name its just that Feldberg over complicates everything in his explanations. The primary difference is where power is generated in the kinetic chain of the weight transfer. Climo's is such that his primary generation is arm. When he needs more distance than his arm can generate he begins to include his hips and then legs. Cam Todd on the other hand generates a little bit of power each way along the kinetic link with the largest point being his "pop" or spring up from the ground using feet/ankles and knees. He doesn't use his hips much and its why he gets that little jump/hop in his putt. So Todd adds arm motion where Climo adds hip movement.

SO! That tells us this. You can use primarily arm motion and add body movement (climo/push) or you can use primarily body motion and add arm motion (todd/pitch).

Now if you want Feldberg's breakdown you get this. He is more of a push putter like climo in that he uses a primary arm movement with body motion to increase range. How he does this though is more like cam todd. Don't be fooled by Dave though he is doing Climo's style just with a different style of kinetic linking. Feldberg uses more hip and back. Using his legs more as a platform to buck his hips forward and shoot his back/shoulders up. So have fun with that, and my next post.

If its a comprehensive putting thread you want BroD then lets try.

I'm going to say there are definitively two kinds of putt. Push dominant and spin dominant. While everyone uses both spin and push to putt what distinguishes them is how much push or how much spin.

Lets use some rough percentages with pro's for examples (not matter of facts)
Nate Doss - 70% Spin 30% Push
Dave Feldberg - 30% Spin 70% Push
Ken Climo - 85% Push 15% Spin
Ron Russel - 90% Spin 10% Push

Now some may be thinking "Well what about Straddle Putting or Jump Putting!?". The answer is this. There a bunch of stances and ways to generate power for either a push or a spin and the different "kinds" of putts still fall into the push or spin categories. EX: Most straddle putters are push dominant putters but that have more elements of a spin putt in them than say someone like Climo. And in some cases like Markus Kalestrom you have straddle putters who are clearly spin putting. So that means that the "straddle putt" is really more just a stance that most often lends itself to push dominant elements but can really be used for either and doesn't merit its own style. Within these two styles there are all kinds of diff stances and ways to generate power but they still remain either a push or spin style. The only other primary categories you could establish are an anhyzer putt or a hyzer putt (or stable if you want, why not). With these though it becomes more of a line choice as opposed to style. Thus they are not outside of push/spin but supplements to.

Pro Players
Nate Doss - Anhyzer putter
Nikko Locastro - Hyzer putter
Climo - Hyzer
Kalestrom - stable/neautral

but it just becomes a matter of saying Nikko Locastro is a Push dominant putter that uses a hyzer line and a staggered straddle stance. Who generates most of his power from his arm frist followed by his back and then his legs. The "swing putt" I believe it gets called isn't really its own style as much as a set of conditions that I just named. The only thing that could really define it is that the disc is most often released much lower to the ground than other players and some have complained that it can be complicated by derbies, tall grass, and elevation changes...

its late, thats all for now...

is master Henry demonstrating a falling put at 5:10 in this video? I've been called for a putt like that.

I don't like calling straddle just a different stance rather than style though. I know what you're saying but you wouldn't consider someone shooting freethrows granny style just a different stance than the conventional. Semantics.

I don't like calling straddle just a different stance rather than style though. I know what you're saying but you wouldn't consider someone shooting freethrows granny style just a different stance than the conventional. Semantics.

:p:p
Granny style still uses the same stance as a traditional free throw. But there is a reason it isn't used much. Its not nearly as effective. The straddle stance has specific advantages and disadvantages against other stances. I guess I was trying to say that the straddle is more of an option than a distinctive style.
She-man-tics.

cfair, NBA legend Rick Barry would like to have a serious word with you. It's also not technically the same stance as a text book free throw style where you line up your right foot behind the nail and the ball stays over the nail. :p

I was wondering if there was a good video showing spin putting, maybe in slow motion. I have predominately been a loft/pitch putter, and that works fine. I still do it in most situations. However, I would love to have a solid spin putt. I cannot seem to get a clean release. There is a lot of flutter. Thanks for any advise.

Dave Dunipace's "snake style" putt (for vid, see OP) is practically a spin putt on steroids. I think most flutter problems with putting comes from not having clean "finger spring."

Feldberg is a good instructor; very thorough in his explainations. So often you have people that can do but can't teach, or vice versa. He's a rare case of a person which can do both.

Latest posts