• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quads- are they worth it?

Are quads worth the extra cost and hassle?

• Yes

Votes: 189 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters
Hubby bought me a set of Quads this weekend so I can finally carry my Tourney bag......after using them this weekend at Hudson Mills and Deerfield Park, I gotta say they're worth every penny of $40 AND MORE!!! No way could I have carried my almost fully loaded Tourney without them.

They adjusted short enough to rest comfortably on my super-short torso, the padding in the straps is cush, the quality is top-notch, and I never had any issues carrying it on either 1 shoulder or both (oh, and the coloring didn't bleed at all during the downpour we found ourselves in on Sunday).

I WILL be buying him a set next week, too!!!

I'm not sure if the $40 for quad-shocks is worth it but some type of quad strap is worth it. I got the Innova straps for $25 and they have been well worth it. I can now carry a larger bag and be able to handle all my accessories comfortably and easily (10-12 discs, birdie bag, water bottle, score cards, markers, towel, couple of beers, etc).

just bought a set from the Phenix Disc Sports pro shop in Arvada CO the other day, and after my first round with them (Westminster City Park, 18 holes, 6964 ft) I noticed quite a difference in how much better my throwing shoulder felt. Usually after I finish this course, or any other where you have to go huge off the tee, I need to ice my shoulder and can't even think about playing another 'big' course the next day. I have had some pretty extensive surgery on my throwing shoulder, and don't want to over-do-it. With the new straps, i honestly felt like I could have thrown another 18 right then and there with no problem. I never really realized how much extra strain I was putting on my throwing shoulder by carrying that bag until I got the straps.

I'm not sure if the $40 for quad-shocks is worth it but some type of quad strap is worth it. I got the Innova straps for $25 and they have been well worth it. I can now carry a larger bag and be able to handle all my accessories comfortably and easily (10-12 discs, birdie bag, water bottle, score cards, markers, towel, couple of beers, etc).

For bigger heavier bags or for longer days, I notice a pretty big difference in comfort between the innova straps and the phenix straps. The innova ones are definitely a step up from a single strap, and are great if you aren't going to play all day, but I really like the extra padding for tournament days or days where I'm playing 90+ holes.

I paid $54 with tax at a local store for mine, and they are worth every penny!

I used the single strap for 2 years, and I wish I had switched a long time ago. They are like night and day as far as comfort goes. I invested in the Phoenix straps, because they have "shock absorbers" built into the straps and it really feels comfortable . I carry a large bag with 19 discs, and 3 drinks.

I would suggest if you have never tried them, ask someone who has them to try theirs on. They will not feel exact because you have to adjust them to your body, but you will get an idea.

When you first get them, they feel a little strange, but after you wear them for one round, you will break them in and they will adjust to your body, just like a new pair of shoes, and you will love them.

I got my first real use out of my Quads this saturday at Beaver Ranch (Conifer) and I tell you climbing up and down those muderous hills was made a TON easier with those shocks (Especially cause I took more discs than I should have) At first I was kinda skeptical about them and searched for a cheaper alternative but after getting them Im all about em. If you get them from Phenix that dude does good work.

I got the Innova straps when i bought the Innova deluxe bag this year. I now have the fade gear tourny bag and love having the straps. i never minded the single strap on the small bag when i had the started bags tho

I use Phenix quads, w/ a PDGA tour bag. Bought them both in late 05/early 06 (at the time Innova just pulled the tour bag off the market). I absolutely love them... I bought the big bag to carry stuff more than discs, as I played a lot that winter.... if you have a heavy bag, quads are the way to go IMHO... yes, you lose the ability to re-shuffle discs while walking, but there's no way in hell I could carry all the crap in my bag w/o quads....

for the record though, I do "1 strap" them alot for shorter shots (ie all the 40 ft putts I missed at valpo yesterday)

I bought Innova Backsavers with my fade tourney bag, and damn, I love them. I can't imagine carrying my bag without them. It took me a few minutes to play with the straps and get the bag to hang right where I want it, but once I found it, the bag and straps sit great. I love it.

I couldn't imagine playing without them. They instantly added an extra 18 holes to my day. Regardless of not being able to shuffle discs, I can reach my water bottle (and replace it) and putter on the run. Anything else I can deal with when I stop.

I couldn't imagine playing without them. They instantly added an extra 18 holes to my day. Regardless of not being able to shuffle discs, I can reach my water bottle (and replace it) and putter on the run. Anything else I can deal with when I stop.

I agree with everything you said. I can play longer, and my should dosen't hurt after playing. Its like night and day.

Ok, I am new to DG. I have been playing for just over a week. But have been out about 8 times. I have the Innova starter bag with 8 discs in it and carry 4 liter bottles of water. I have been playing Buffalo Ridge in Phoenix, AZ. It's a mountain course that has you climbing up and down the side of it. After 18 holes of carrying the bag around my arm and back are killing me. For some reason I always sling it over my throwing arm before I realize it and switch. I was wondering if anyone here has used the Phenix Quads for a starter bag? I know people have posted seeing it used and being dorky, but has anyone actually done it and be willing to admit it :) I will eventually get either the Phenix Core or Revolution Carolina. So should I get some Quads and use my Innova bag or just go with a bigger bag w/ Quads?

4 liters of water?! good god man.

Jukeshoe has quads on a smaller bag (Gorilla Boy Squirrel Monkey) and it looks fine to me.

I have a set on a Fade Crunch Box...it really does make it more comfortable, even for a smaller bag. 12-14 discs and a liter of water (and a beer...maybe) still is a bit of a load.

4 liters, though, is over 8 lbs. That gets to be alot digging into your shoulder muscles.

4 liters of water?! good god man.

Jukeshoe has quads on a smaller bag (Gorilla Boy Squirrel Monkey) and it looks fine to me.
Yeah, like I said I play in AZ. I play in the afternoon when the sun is beating down on you and it's 110 degrees :thmbdown: Plus Buffalo Ridge is a good hike.

Cool, I guess worst case I buy them and then upgrade my bag. It sucks having only one water bottle pouch.

Yeah, like I said I play in AZ. I play in the afternoon when the sun is beating down on you and it's 110 degrees :thmbdown: Plus Buffalo Ridge is a good hike.

Cool, I guess worst case I buy them and then upgrade my bag. It sucks having only one water bottle pouch.

The guys that live farther north don't understand... I tote an additional little Walmart cooler around with me on really hot days... It isn't great carrying two bags, but I don't carry the cooler over my shoulder... I just carry it in hand.

If I were you... I'd get the harness. It's disc golf, not a fashion show. Get whatever you need, so that you can concentrate on playing better.

The guys that live farther north don't understand... I tote an additional little Walmart cooler around with me on really hot days... It isn't great carrying two bags, but I don't carry the cooler over my shoulder... I just carry it in hand.

If I were you... I'd get the harness. It's disc golf, not a fashion show. Get whatever you need, so that you can concentrate on playing better.

LOL, at least in Phoenix it's not humid too. I thought about bringing a small cooler but the less crap the better. I have my G/F's son wear a Camelbak but he usually tires of it and takes it off.

Yeah, I will probably order them. Like I read on the forum, forgot the OP's name "If I was worried about looking cool, I wouldn't play DG."

Latest posts