• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quads- are they worth it?

Are quads worth the extra cost and hassle?

• Yes

Votes: 189 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters
Gotta say I just moved up in the world from one strap to some Phenix straps. It feels so amazingly different! Life is good.

I am using one strap right now but am expecting to get the quads for my birthday here in a couple of days. I am going to go out on a limb and say that they are totally worth it. Then again, the strap I have no stinks like the moldy cheese my roomate recently threw out.

i play 250 rounds a year without the quad. my home course is flat and grassy which is 200 of the 250 i play. most of my rounds are solo or 2 person rounds that i play before work in an hour or so. i carry 12 discs and feel that mounting and unmounting of a bag would interfere with my time. however if i played a mountain course or a longer round (time wise) maybe i would fell it nessesary to backpack my discs.

i'm not that good?(rating is usually around 960)...i just think you only need 5-10 discs for any course..been playing this way since i started and sometimes will play a whole tournament with 5 and get strange looks and questions(a guy playing pro with a starter bag and 5 discs?)..my bag usually consists of 2 putters, a midrange(not always in the bag) and a handful of drivers..

Ya the longer I play the less plastic I use. I have 14 in my bag and use maybe 4 or 5 on an average round. 2 drivers, 2 rocs and a putter

I got them for comfort. I agree that you don't need more than 10 discs, but I bought a larger bag anyways because I like to carry so much stuff with me on the course. With the bigger bag the shocks are extremely more comfortable than a single strap. Well worth it. If you're going to be using a bigger bag, the shocks are great. If you think you can get by with 5-10, do it. You'll understand those discs much better and be more consistent than if you have ten you rarely throw.

i'm not that good?(rating is usually around 960)...i just think you only need 5-10 discs for any course..been playing this way since i started and sometimes will play a whole tournament with 5 and get strange looks and questions(a guy playing pro with a starter bag and 5 discs?)..my bag usually consists of 2 putters, a midrange(not always in the bag) and a handful of drivers..

i was just kidding. i know some people only carry 5 discs and i know others that carry 30 and use them all in a round.

sall good solomon. i wasn't taking your post as a stab at my abilities..i just see "newbs" starting out and having waaaaay too much plastic in their bag...learn a handful and then i can see carrying 20(4 different stages of "beat" in one disc for example)..

I agree with 80played and roc1, While I carry b/w 12-15 discs I generally only use 5 or so. I am just to lazy to take the extra discs out from practice and than have to put them back after a round.

Among the valid reasons for carrying lots of discs, and thus a large bag with quads, is tournaments on courses where you may lose drivers. If you carry 10 discs and lose both your overstable drivers, finishing the round with only the wrong discs remaining is a bit challenging.

Also, in summer you can carry lots of liquid, with much less strain, with quads.

While I only carry around 10 discs myself I can see using quads if you have 20 or more discs or if you are playing more than 18 holes on a regular basis. After 27 holes even a bag with only 10 discs in it must start becoming a little annoying.

Among the valid reasons for carrying lots of discs, and thus a large bag with quads, is tournaments on courses where you may lose drivers. If you carry 10 discs and lose both your overstable drivers, finishing the round with only the wrong discs remaining is a bit challenging.

Also, in summer you can carry lots of liquid, with much less strain, with quads.

That's why I carry so many. I am not going to use both excaliburs in a normal round, but I play so many different courses on a regular basis that I just keep a normal array of discs in the bag so that I am not changing out discs every time I head out to play a different course. I carry right around 20 discs, and usually throw maybe 10 of them on average per round. Out of those 20 at least 6 discs are duplicates, in a different stage of "seasoning". Windy conditions in Texas call for an array of discs as well. We go from nothing to 20-30 gusts in a couple of minutes sometimes.

when i say i carry 5-10 that's what i meant, BUT i always have 2 dozen or so in my truck!!..this allows me to carry loads of water also, and even when i play a course where losing discs is easier than most...i wont carry more than 10..

when i say i carry 5-10 that's what i meant, BUT i always have 2 dozen or so in my truck!!..this allows me to carry loads of water also, and even when i play a course where losing discs is easier than most...i wont carry more than 10..

Last tourney I played in I only carried 10 with me. When I play rec (more often) I take about 20 or so. Most of these are backups though, so that I can take the same shot two or three times for a little practice. Having three mids and three putters makes it pretty easy to practice your short game. Same with the drivers, though I only throw multiples of those if there's nobody behind me or at least few holes back.

I am a recent convert after 14 years as a minimalist---small bag with 7-8 discs, sometimes playing casual with only 1 or 2.

Trophy Lakes was the main reason I switched. 13 of the 18 holes are on water, most having to carry water, and a summer tournament to boot. Last year I stuffed my little bag to the bursting point, to have enough discs to finish.....and nearly died of dehydration due to not carrying enough gatorade. So this year I returned with 15 or so discs, a 32 oz. drink, and straps to carry the weight around a 7500' course. (Of course, I only lost 2 discs in the water!)

It's also nice at Stoney Hill; in addition to helping carry the weight up large hills, I can fire 4 or 5 overstable drivers off #1 if I want; as a minimalist, I would have only 2 or 3 discs capable of throwing off that hill, so would only have 1 or 2 practice throws.

But I did spend many years with few discs, and agree that for most courses and most situations, 10 is plenty. And for 10, you don't need quads.

I've actually considered getting a cheap one strap bag for my practice rounds and filling it with 11 discs or so, so I can minimize wear on my good bag with the quads attached.

I've actually considered getting a cheap one strap bag for my practice rounds and filling it with 11 discs or so, so I can minimize wear on my good bag with the quads attached.

I do the opposite...I play all my casual round with my large bag to carry some practice shots, and trim it down to ten I feel comfortable with for a tourney so I'm not tempted to throw something I THINK should fly a certain way.

Latest posts