• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quads- are they worth it?

Are quads worth the extra cost and hassle?

• Yes

Votes: 189 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 32 14.5%

• Total voters
Yep, if you are carrying 15+ discs in an Innova Competition Bag or equivalent, then backpack straps (backsavers/quads) are worth it IMO. My shoulder was giving me fits after playing, especially if playing 36holes or more. As soon as I got the backpack straps, no more shoulder pain. I recommend them.

I use the Innova BackSavers, and have been very pleased with the feel and durability, and they are about $15 less, so if you want this style of strap, and don't want to spend $40, the backsavers are a good alternative.

how long ago did you buy them?

Ive had the same pair of Quad Shocks for 3+ years and I love them. They definitely distribute the weight better. I remember playing alot of rounds before the quadshocks and feeling lopsided when it was all said and done. My only complaints would be( 1. Its hard to access your bag with the straps on. 2. It chafes my wrist if I play alot. (Its from putting the bag off and on.)) Pleased with mine so far. Good durability.

never used them myself, but i have seen many a person with a bag the size of mine using them and i gotta say i'd like to have them myself.

my left arm gets pretty tired hauling my bag around with all of the crap i have in it.

I got the phenix Quadshocks love them never thought of not using them on my Gateway tour bag. My starter bag has the extra thick strap from the tour bag. I use it when I travel I don't take as many disc out of town, Not that I need all the ones I carry just like to have spares and other choices at home.

I took mine off my ball golf bag. With a slite mod. they work great and the best part they were FREE!!!

I've had an Innova Competition Bag since Christmas, and I just got around to getting Back Saver Straps for them. I wore them for about a round and a half this weekend and went home and took them back off the bag. It was WAY too much hassle putting them on and taking them off.

I could get my drink in and out without too much effort, but getting or re-"filing" a disc was next to impossible (and I have very long arms). It pretty much forced me to put the old disc back in my bag while it was still on the ground after each throw, which seemed to make the round drag on forever, and was probably harder on my back then the old strap since I spent so much time bending over my bag on the ground.

True, I could wear the bag over one shoulder for most trips, but that was substantially more uncomfortable than the old strap. I doubt that the Quads would be any better...I will say that the Innova version seems well built and comfortable enough while I was wearing them, but the design just wasn't for me.

I've had an Innova Competition Bag since Christmas, and I just got around to getting Back Saver Straps for them. I wore them for about a round and a half this weekend and went home and took them back off the bag. It was WAY too much hassle putting them on and taking them off.

I could get my drink in and out without too much effort, but getting or re-"filing" a disc was next to impossible (and I have very long arms). It pretty much forced me to put the old disc back in my bag while it was still on the ground after each throw, which seemed to make the round drag on forever, and was probably harder on my back then the old strap since I spent so much time bending over my bag on the ground.

True, I could wear the bag over one shoulder for most trips, but that was substantially more uncomfortable than the old strap. I doubt that the Quads would be any better...I will say that the Innova version seems well built and comfortable enough while I was wearing them, but the design just wasn't for me.

What do you plan on doing with them? I might take them off your hands.

My Innova straps lasted about 4 weeks before the plastic split. Then the back part frayed later that week. I have had my Phenix's over a year now. No issues, with 3-6 rounds a week + countless tourneys. Defintitely worth the $difference.

Innova must have stepped up their quality. This is the first internet disc golf forum I have ever seen where Innova was getting props for making a quality back-saver. Everyone I know that has had them said they tore within a matter of months. I have had my Phenix Quads for almost 2 years on my competition bag and I don't have the first tear.

And given the choice I would gladly pay the extra money for the Phenix as opposed to the Innovas because of the durability of my current set.

For the moment, I am keeping them in my trunk. I figure if I am ever planning some type of iron man type of day, I may decide to put them back on temporarily. Really, I didn't have too much trouble with my bag with the old strap. Maybe it's because I played bass drum in my high school marching band (yeah, I was THAT cool), so I am used to excess weight on my shoulders. I was expecting the new straps to be a night and day difference, and it was just a hassle.

I guess if I was ever that worried about the weight, I would switch back to my standard bag.

Innova must have stepped up their quality. This is the first internet disc golf forum I have ever seen where Innova was getting props for making a quality back-saver. Everyone I know that has had them said they tore within a matter of months. I have had my Phenix Quads for almost 2 years on my competition bag and I don't have the first tear.
That would make sense.

You don't see many (any?) posts saying "I got the Innova straps last week and they sucked."

Most of the posts are of the form "I tried the Innova straps 1+ years ago and they tore so I got the Phenix Quads and haven't looked back".

I think you didn't give them enought time. Its just like breaking in a new pair of shoes, or a new pair of jeans. I say wear them for a while and let them ajust to your body, and then make a judgement.

That would make sense.

You don't see many (any?) posts saying "I got the Innova straps last week and they sucked."

Most of the posts are of the form "I tried the Innova straps 1+ years ago and they tore so I got the Phenix Quads and haven't looked back".

yeah most people are surprised when you tell them they changed the straps.

I think you didn't give them enought time. Its just like breaking in a new pair of shoes, or a new pair of jeans. I say wear them for a while and let them ajust to your body, and then make a judgement.

Perhaps you're right. However I think when I bought those, I was looking for a solution to a problem I didn't have, just because everyone else said they were a must. Unless my shoulders or back start bothering me, I don't think I need to use them.

i find that with one strap my shoulder begins to tire after about nine holes specially since i got a bigger bag. your hand getting raw puzzles me. how heavy is your bag?

I just used my Quad Shocks today, and I love em! I used them on a long course and a short course, and man what a difference from using one strap. It really took a strain off my shoulder, and its much more comfortable. Well worth the money in my opinion. I am so glad I got them.

I big enthusiastic YES. I always feel sorry for the fellas walking around with 1 strap.