• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

qualifications for hosting a tournament

pickupman92

Bogey Member
Hey Everyone,
A local state board has asked me to come up with a questionnaire about hosting an event. Essentially I'm creating an online form for clubs/courses to fill out to answer so they can be in the running for an event, the best answers get qualified and then a second round of in person/over phone questions will be asked, but this is kind of just qualifying questions.

I've got a few questions so far, but would love to hear feedback if anyone would be so kind. Can anyone think of other questions I should be asking on this form?

How will online registration be handled?
What course or courses will be played?
What date or dates will the event be held on?
How many players can you accomodate?
Who is the tournament for?
Who will be the staff? Please list your experience.
Host hotel? How much per night?

Please prepare a proposed schedule showing time and location of Check in, Player Meeting, Rounds and Awards.
Lunch provided or sufficient nearby restaurants?
Ideas for Am player packs?
DiscGolfCenter.com is a sponsor for 2017. Other sponsors?
Fundraisers?
Trophies?
Proposed entry fee?
Budget, especially costs for things like facility rental, application fees, porta johns, trophies, etc.

Thanks,
Quentin

What's the purpose?

Is the state board going to be governing all disc golf tournaments run in the state? Or is it for some special event, on behalf of a state agency?

Because in general, this is already covered by the PDGA and PDGA's state coordinator.

I believe they are creating a championship "series" for the state. Thanks for the additional information though, I'm completely new to this tournament stuff, I wish they would have had more information they wanted on this form.

Cgkdisc, thanks for the links, I will definitely check them out.

wanted to edit my post... couldn't.

I believe they want an easy way for people to fill out the questionnaire for the bid. example: 15 courses/clubs fill out this questionnaire, the answers go to the board via email, then they can sort through and see which courses/clubs are the "best" and then make a decision where to host the tournament based on that.

I think it's just a quick way to weed out any courses/clubs that are way out in the boonies or have no accommodations for a larger style tournament, that make sense?

Cgkdisc, thanks for the links, I will definitely check them out.

OK, sorry, I imagined something else. I'm curious about the details. Some of the questions might depend on what the board is trying to accomplish. Or prevent

A few thoughts. If the goal is to create some sort of statewide tour, usually these incorporate existing events, the general details of which are known to board members. Also, the details about daily schedule may not be known, or confirmed, at the time of the application

I know you have experience on there, but it may be worth having a separate area for events the entire club has specifically run. If you're dealing with a somewhat green tournament staff but the club has a history of hosting events, those who are applying to run could draw on the experiences of those older folks in the club who were around to run tournaments. You could probably also ask what events have historically been held on those courses

That's a great point.

Among the important criteria are (1) the quality of the course, (2) the tournaments previously run on that course, and (3) the tournaments the particular TD has run. And the latter can be bolstered by assistance from an experienced club---I've seen great events run by first-time TDs, with lots of backing.

Perhaps (4) would be sponsorship/cash added, if that's important to the tourmakers.

The quality of the course might lead to questions about the challenge level of the course, if this is a championship series. A high-quality, popular, but easy course might be less desirable.

Seems like a lot of the other details don't matter a great deal, unless the tour organizers have specific requirements. Such as offering all divisions. On the other hand, food, on site or nearby, is a nice amenity, but hardly necessary; people can pack lunches for a great event.

Y'all are FANTASTIC! I'll post back when i have a finished copy on the website so y'all can check it out or even if someone needed to use it as a template it would already be made.

Thanks again for the info and tips for the form!!!!

Latest posts