• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quest Discs

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
So I got a Quest T-Bone in a trade a little while back (thanks WillACarpenter) and it's slowly becoming one of my go-to drivers. It doesn't bomb as far a max-d driver, but goes further than my other fairway drivers like the Eagle or Sabre...around the same distance as my old Teebird. When I first got the disc, it was the strangest looking disc I'd ever seen. It has a dome larger than any disc I've ever seen, a dimpled rim, and a smooth rim edge (where you curl your fingers under). This is one of the things I like most about this disc. Most Innova discs are pretty sharp where the rim ends under the flight plate and is what causes calluses/blisters, but on the T-Bone it is rounded off and leaves my hand much smoother than any other disc.

If I had to compare it to any disc, it would be the Teebird. The flight pattern on this thing is just perfect and is actually more consistent than my Teebird (R.I.P.). They are both long, straight flying fairway drivers, except the T-Bone has a bit more fade at the end and it will come back a bit more if released on a slight anhyzer. I love it cause I can really get a good rip on it without having to worry about it turning over. It walks the fine line between stable and overstable, but because it's not a high speed driver I can get it up to its cruising speed every time and it seems to stay on a straight line for quite a while before going into its predictable fade.

So...anyone else used Quest discs before and if so how did you like them and how did they fly?

I love my Classic Inferno and my Rock-it. I also have a wildfire (its just a novelty IMO) and a T-bone (up for trade) and a Double D.

How do the Inferno and Rock-it fly? Is there anything distinctly different about them from standard Innova/Discraft style discs? And what don't you like about the T-bone?

t-bone just didnt seem to do anything the others did.

Rock-it is kind of classic roc like. I dont carry it right now but I hit a 100+' deuce with it like the second time I carried it. It has the dimples too.

Classic Inferno is a pretty damn understable disc, no dimples...maybe like a really fast valk?

I carry mostly Quest stuff. I love the T-Bone. There are always at least two in my bag. It's a great control driver, but I can't really compare it to much else, because I haven't really thrown a lot of other stuff. Mine has a flight path a lot like my ESP Surge, but only goes 80 to 90% as far.
The rock-it is another of my favorite discs, a very straight mid, and will hold a line well, a bit understable if you put some effort into your throw. I will say that I'm not a fan of some of Quest's plastics, but I really like the 80/20. It holds up very well for me, playing on mostly heavily wooded holes, and being strangely good at hitting trees. The nike & srp plastics are not very durable, but the premium & 80/20 work well for me. I have found the premium to be a little slipperier when wet than 80/20 or ESP or Star plastic, but no more so than Champion or Elite Z.

<slight bump>

i just got a t-bone back from a buddy the other day and took it out to the field this afternoon. i was suprised by both it's relative high speed stability and by what seemed a pretty healthy fade (windy day here, though, so...i reserve the right to revise these observations).

seems sightly longer than a sabre, maybe, but much shorter than a teebird. more fade than either. i need to throw it more, and in calmer conditions, to see if it's a fit for me.

Not tryin to be funny but why would anyone buy quest? I only thrown a few but don't feel they have a niche that craft or innove doesn't cover. I can see supporting companies like gateway, dga, or even vibriam for their contributions to the sport but quest seems like their trying to trick people with those warning stickers. And they look cheap. Does quest sponsor any events, courses, or players?

Double D and Nike

Looking for more info on the Double D and the nike plastic... is it gummy? because they say you can bend it to tune it. On marshall street, some of them are clear.

Thoughts on using it as a headwind driver?

Not tryin to be funny but why would anyone buy quest? I only thrown a few but don't feel they have a niche that craft or innove doesn't cover. I can see supporting companies like gateway, dga, or even vibriam for their contributions to the sport but quest seems like their trying to trick people with those warning stickers. And they look cheap. Does quest sponsor any events, courses, or players?

some think that innova is trying to trick people with their speed ratings...

I think disc golfers buy discs because they want to throw them. simple as that. I don't know anyone who says "I bought this wizard because i support gateway and everything they do for the sport" That guy probably heard from someone that its a sweet putter. I think at this point in Disc Golf, more manufacturers will only help the sport. If Innova and Discraft had everything covered, they would stop making new molds...

Quest just makes some terrible discs in the worst plastic available

And Innova and discraft make nothing but pure awesome in super durable, long lasting plastic....

Oh wait....nevermind.

Every company has plenty of turds.

Throw a rock-it, t-bone, classic inferno, or one of the other well liked quest discs and leave your bias at the table and maybe you could end up happy with one.

This coming from a guy who doesn't carry any but this "disc prejudice" crap is just flat ass silly.

And Innova and discraft make nothing but pure awesome in super durable, long lasting plastic....

Oh wait....nevermind.

Every company has plenty of turds.

Throw a rock-it, t-bone, classic inferno, or one of the other well liked quest discs and leave your bias at the table and maybe you could end up happy with one.

This coming from a guy who doesn't carry any but this "disc prejudice" crap is just flat ass silly.
Are you saying I'm "disc prejudice?"
Last time i checked i own discs from most companies except Lightning and Quest and have tried others that I dont own.
I have tried the Rock-It, T-Bone, and Inferno as well as many other of their discs and still strongly hold the opinion that Quest blows. Their Nike plastic sucks and their designs aren't up to par with other companies.

i've thrown the Rock-it, tbone, and inferno... but they never really made the cut in my bag, just because I have discs I can cover their lines with.

thoughts on the Double D?

I got mad love for my 80/20 T-Bone...Most durable disc in my bag...looks better than the star beast I've had for 1/2 the time. Disc does some serious hovering when it gets close to the ground. I've had more birdies with it than any other and have not seen another person carry one.

So go ahead and hate just let me know what stores near you sell the 167 in 80/20. Preferable orange

some think that innova is trying to trick people with their speed ratings...

I think disc golfers buy discs because they want to throw them. simple as that. I don't know anyone who says "I bought this wizard because i support gateway and everything they do for the sport" That guy probably heard from someone that its a sweet putter. I think at this point in Disc Golf, more manufacturers will only help the sport. If Innova and Discraft had everything covered, they would stop making new molds...

IMO:

Innova and Discraft will keep tweaking slight changes and never stop making new molds, or retiring old molds and coming up with a re-issue "with a new name" of an old mold, because "NEW" sells lots more than old in the short term. Also plastic will keep evolving and that is a whole new set of old molds made new again also.

With that said...QUEST...is a truly innovative company.

They certainly don't have the best plastics, or the coolest names, or the highest quality of stuff, but what they do have crazy designs and outrageous ideas. Whether you love them or not, they are putting themselves out there and trying stuff no one else will. They have done one thing that I think is the future of our sport.

2 PIECE DISCS.

The idea of taking 2 different kinds of plastics and putting it into one disc is pure genius. They did this with golf balls and it changed golf a ton. Think of the possibilities Lighter less durable plastic in the center while loving the the best hard heavy plastic on the edge. You could eventually get super fast discs in durable light weight, even floating, plastics. The different things you could up with is pretty amazing. Maybe even go the 3 different kinds of plastics one day. BUT none of this will really ever come to light if no one company breaks out a disc everyone loves or until one of the big boys take it up. Still, QUEST did it first.

Now will the "Wheel" or "10M Brick" be in everyones bag, no. They are corny, almost too weird, and not legal. Like that or not, Innova and PDGA control that spectrum. But I am not about to get into that discussion here because it has been talked about in numerous threads already. SO they deserve some respect for trying new things is all I am really saying.

Looking for more info on the Double D and the nike plastic... is it gummy? because they say you can bend it to tune it. On marshall street, some of them are clear.

Thoughts on using it as a headwind driver?

I've got one, and it is the most overstable meat hook of a pig I've ever had the pleasure of throwing. Might actually go straight in a 25 mph headwind for 100 feet for me. I've got a flick and an X=caliber, and neither are nearly as ovetstable, even though both are a little heavier. The nike plastic reminds me a little of the stuff used for the epic. Nike feels less rubbery than the epic, but a little more course to the touch. It also is not as durable as some of the higher end plastics, but no worse that dx or pro.

My wife throws 90% of her shots with a Quest Backbone or Quest Ultralight Raging Inferno DT. The Ultralights come in Nike plastic and would say it's kind of a cross between DX and Pro. It can be a bit bendy if you want.

I had a Double-D for a while, short while, but agree with the meat hook description. It's initial attraction was a heavy driver that floated. But alasit just didn't fly well enough for me to be worth it.