• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

question of legal putt

That rule is funny though, because from what I understand you must only demonstrate balance. In fact in the disc golf fundamentals dvd I have with Dave Feldberg and Ken Climo. Feldberg advises that immediately after releasing the putt begin walking towards the cage. I guess that would be a way to mask any forward momentum or loss of balance and stay within the rules.

good point i like the idea. but i guess it would only work if you sink every putt.

Perhaps they decided to use a system that actually makes sense, and uses the same base as our number system rather than bases like 12 and 5280...

(That was a long and sarcastic way of saying I have no idea)

often the truth masks itself as sarcasm. seriously, measurement systems based on 10 are much easier to use. but whenever i ask people if i'm outside of 10 meters they look at me like i'm retarded (or french).

well thats just freaking gay. i have to find a new way to putt now:mad:

lol. only if you play PDGAs, people will rarely call you in doubles etc. except maybe in a passive-aggresive way, like i do- "you know, IF you were to play a PDGA that putt wouldn't be legal..."

learn a weight transfer putt where your back (left if you are righty) leg goes up in the air behind you to balance your weight transfer. Sort of achieves the same thing as a step. If you've seen pics of pros with their leg way up in the air basically on a horizontal line with their arm this is what they are doing.

And I can't believe you are an ace member and didn't know about falling putts!:eek:

often the truth masks itself as sarcasm. seriously, measurement systems based on 10 are much easier to use. but whenever i ask people if i'm outside of 10 meters they look at me like i'm retarded (or french).

you should then just quickly convert meters to feet and say it that way. us Americans arent sop quick to want to learn a new numeric system:(

yeah, i usually just say "outside 30?" like most people. i like to throw in the 10m thing sometimes though to see how people react. try it sometime.

That rule is funny though, because from what I understand you must only demonstrate balance. In fact in the disc golf fundamentals dvd I have with Dave Feldberg and Ken Climo. Feldberg advises that immediately after releasing the putt begin walking towards the cage. I guess that would be a way to mask any forward momentum or loss of balance and stay within the rules.

funny you should mention feldberg...he seems to break the rule alot..even when outside of 10m you cannot cross your lie until the disc is released...watch him putt and he is a step over his lie or more before releasing...

What the hell are you guys talking about? It's a walking putt, which is a slight variation of the jump putt. The disc comes out of his hand before his left foot is down, which is legal outside of 10 meters. Feldberg doesn't do this when he is within 10 meters.

Think I'm wrong? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8m7RBWgMQ

you should then just quickly convert meters to feet and say it that way. us Americans arent sop quick to want to learn a new numeric system:(

Yup, and that's why we're one of the very few countries that still uses an outdated and silly set of measuring systems. :rolleyes:

Why metric ?
Because the world uses the metric system. Disc golf is a world game.

David Feldberg falling putts?
Don't you think he would get called on it? Being as how the rules get more and more strict the higher the card you are on, especially lead card.

NEXT.

sorry to burst jesus' bubble but i have seen/played with feldberg and he(as well as many other top pros) break this rule constantly..people are hesitant to call him on it because it is hard to prove..and noone wants to be "that guy"..i have seen it called in tourneys where cash is on the line(if everyone else in the group agrees it was an illegal putt)..rules are made to be followed and breaking them results in a penalty.there is a video somewhere(shot of the year last year on dgtv?) of cale leviska(sp?) nailing a long putt to tie climo in a tourney...everyone is so excited he made it, noone cares that he crossed his lie before releasing..before jesus gets his panties in a bunch, watch said video or other disc golf videos and watch the feet/lie and the point where the disc actually leaves the players' hand..

If I am on the lead card at the USDGC and he breaks a rule you better believe it's getting called.

Thats why people don't know the rules. People have gotten too leniant.

Do you think when they do a falling putt it is intentional?

Thats how they got to where they are now huh? By cheating?

Falling putts, slow release jumpers, pencil whipping, & 5' gimme pick me ups huh.

Last edited:
I agree with Dillon I was called for a Falling Putt last year at the Super Tournament in Huntsville, AL by a player on my card which ended up in my favor because it was a birdie putt in which I missed but since the foul was called I was forced to take the Putt again and I made it. But its not hard to see and whats the problem of being "that guy" as long as your are right. If you knew someone was writing wrong scores down on a score card would you still have a problem with being "that guy" Rules are rules and they all should be followed.

bingo.

besides, isn't there usually a pdga official in the vicinity of the lead card during a or b tiers?

let those folks do their job and be 'that guy'.

yeah, i usually just say "outside 30?" like most people.
I wish most people would realize that 30 feet does NOT equal 10 meters. 32'10" is actually more accurate. I've even seen TD's paint their "10 meter" circles at 30 feet.

As for people not calling foot faults and falling putts, the primary reason for not wanting to be "that guy" is because the would be rules nazis make food faults and falling putts themselves, so any attempt to win by nitpicking your opponent's putting stance would likely invite retaliation. These players also don't want the vibe of their round ruined by over officiating, particularly in a sport where you have to officiate yourselves. Think how much fun a basketball game would be if traveling and three second violations were called as much as the rule book says that they should be.

I wish most people would realize that 30 feet does NOT equal 10 meters. 32'10" is actually more accurate. I've even seen TD's paint their "10 meter" circles at 30 feet.

As for people not calling foot faults and falling putts, the primary reason for not wanting to be "that guy" is because the would be rules nazis make food faults and falling putts themselves, so any attempt to win by nitpicking your opponent's putting stance would likely invite retaliation. These players also don't want the vibe of their round ruined by over officiating, particularly in a sport where you have to officiate yourselves. Think how much fun a basketball game would be if traveling and three second violations were called as much as the rule book says that they should be.

BINGO

lol. only if you play PDGAs, people will rarely call you in doubles etc. except maybe in a passive-aggresive way, like i do- "you know, IF you were to play a PDGA that putt wouldn't be legal..."

learn a weight transfer putt where your back (left if you are righty) leg goes up in the air behind you to balance your weight transfer. Sort of achieves the same thing as a step. If you've seen pics of pros with their leg way up in the air basically on a horizontal line with their arm this is what they are doing.

And I can't believe you are an ace member and didn't know about falling putts!:eek:

I putt the way your describing but I will say that sometimes my foot will swing back and then its forward momentum will bring it in front of my lie and Ive always wondered if this is illegal. Or is it only illegal if my foot passes the lie before the disc goes in the cage?

I putt the way your describing but I will say that sometimes my foot will swing back and then its forward momentum will bring it in front of my lie and Ive always wondered if this is illegal. Or is it only illegal if my foot passes the lie before the disc goes in the cage?

Illegal if you're within 10m, and you haven't demonstrated balance before your foot comes down in front of your lie. If you just swing your foot forward without it hitting the ground in front of your lie, you're fine.

I'm also with you on this one, but I think people would look at me even funnier if I asked "Am I outside 32 feet 10 inches?"

I think we should all start saying "10 meters", at least in PDGAs.