• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions on hyzer-flip and flext shots

I'm a newbe so please forgive my ignorance, but what is OAT?

I've thrown my Viking with a really cool hyzer flip, but I didn't know it was called that. It was about 30 to 45 degree down angle, and a good strong throw. It went out, leveled off, went nice and straight, then faded left. I paced it off at about 300', so it was one of my better throws. Unfortunately it hit a tree, tacoed and it changed it's flight characteristics... :(

Thanks,
Donald
PS: I have thrown discs only to watch them wobble about 1/3 of their flight. I've figured it was killing my "D" since it was expending energy trying to stablize. IF I can get rid of my OAT (what ever that is), I might get more "D".

I found the answer to my question. OAT = Off Axis Torque. It is easy to spot if your disc is fluttering for 50' or so after your throw, then you're putting some wrist twist into it. OAT will shorten your throws.

Donald

Here is a good explanation

Okay, I'm trying to understand how to throw these shots, but have a few questions about the varied results I get. Hopefully you guys & gals will be able to help me out with these problems.

Hyzer-flip:
As I understand it, a hyzer-flip consists of throwing an understable disc with a hyzer angle to make the hyzer flight characteristics of the release fight the understable tendency the disc imparts.

Q: When throwing hyzer-flip, do you impart some OAT to make this happen? For example, do you hold & release the disc with a hyzer angle, but not use a hyzer angle pull back & follow through? (ie: hold the disc with some hyzer angle, reach straight back, pull straight through, and finish straight across.) Or do you hold, release and follow through with a hyzer angle with an understable disc?

Flex shots:
Again, as I understand it, a flex shot is using an overstable disc that is released with an anhyzer angle, which makes the overstable disc overpower the anhyzer flight path to come back and finish to the left (RHBH thrower).

Q: Essentially the same question as the hyzer-flip. Do you use OAT to perform this shot correctly? Or do you use a pure throw to make the disc anhyzer and just put enough power behind it so the flight is long enough to give the overstable disc enough time to overpower the anhyzer flight path?

I have read everything I can find about these topics, but I just need some clarification on which is the correct way to throw them. If someone could point me to a video which demonstrates these throws in detail, I would appreciate it. I have seen the distance competition video where the guy in yellow is obviously throwing a hyzer-flip, but you can't really see how he throws it. I have also seen the Discraft video where they are throwing flex shots towards the uphill hole as well. That video does help, but it doesn't show enough slow motion to be much help.

So, if someone could describe in detail how they throw their hyzer-flip shots and flex shots, I would be most grateful.

Thanks again guys & gals and I look forward to reading your replies!

This is an article that I wrote a while ago that explains how to throw both shots in a easy to understand way.

click here

Let me rephrase the original questions because no one really seemed to answer it.

1. When throwing a flex shot do you follow through low?

2. When throwing a hyzer flip do follow through high?

I say yes and yes.

Let me rephrase the original questions because no one really seemed to answer it.

I say yes and yes.

hyzer flip: I follow through higher. It really depends on how strong your flip is. My putter I follow through extremely high. My leopard, not as much, because it won't flip as much so I don't hyzer as much.

Flex shot: I finish lower in the sense of what the question was asking. However, when I throw these I'm usually throwing them pretty high so my final arm position isn't too far below a normal release.

I say yes and yes.

Ideally, probably continue on the same axis that you throw it, in a continued motion.

I threw the most beautiful hyzer flip today, I was stunned.

It was an amazing thing to watch, probably since I've never done it properly before.

I've been trying to push my drives out farther. I have been playing for more than 20 years , and, due to a shoulder dislocation when I was kid, I really dont throw very far, I max out on a good day at 300' on flat ground.

So during this winter " off season " I have been going out to the local wide open course and trying to extend my range.

The backhand flex shot came easy to me, I throw overstable flex forehand drives all the time, its how I learned, so backhand with the right overstable disc was easy, its just a matter of correct nose up angle.
Too high and it comes back, too low and it turns into an anny roller, but still not too bad to master.
So I think I have the Flex shot down.

The hyzer flip is a little more tricky. Without alot of arm speed, its hard to get enough rotation on the disc to get it to perform properly, plus it requires the right disc.

I threw my beat Dx Beast. I started with the disc hyzered, and followed through with a low hyzer snap release, the disc was never close to flat until long after it left my hand.
I usually turn this disc over because I grip lock it and pull it back behind my shoulder, but today, with the correct hyzer release and follow through, I watched it flip to flat, then go past flat to the anny side, then gracefully work its way back.

Friggin' awesome.
And long.

Why the hell do we buy all these spendy, trendy, special formula drivers when the dirty little truth is a 6 dollar disc flies the farthest. :doh:

I threw the most beautiful hyzer flip today, I was stunned.

It was an amazing thing to watch, probably since I've never done it properly before.

I've been trying to push my drives out farther. I have been playing for more than 20 years , and, due to a shoulder dislocation when I was kid, I really dont throw very far, I max out on a good day at 300' on flat ground.

So during this winter " off season " I have been going out to the local wide open course and trying to extend my range.

The backhand flex shot came easy to me, I throw overstable flex forehand drives all the time, its how I learned, so backhand with the right overstable disc was easy, its just a matter of correct nose up angle.
Too high and it comes back, too low and it turns into an anny roller, but still not too bad to master.
So I think I have the Flex shot down.

The hyzer flip is a little more tricky. Without alot of arm speed, its hard to get enough rotation on the disc to get it to perform properly, plus it requires the right disc.

I threw my beat Dx Beast. I started with the disc hyzered, and followed through with a low hyzer snap release, the disc was never close to flat until long after it left my hand.
I usually turn this disc over because I grip lock it and pull it back behind my shoulder, but today, with the correct hyzer release and follow through, I watched it flip to flat, then go past flat to the anny side, then gracefully work its way back.

Friggin' awesome.
And long.

Why the hell do we buy all these spendy, trendy, special formula drivers when the dirty little truth is a 6 dollar disc flies the farthest. :doh:

Isn't that the sickest feeling when that hyzer flip kicks up flat and holds! Keep doing that and your game might be light a few strokes :clap: