• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Quitting Team Trilogy

horsesmonkey

Let me give you a little back story. I've never been much of an athlete, but I'd been disc golfing before with my friends (they call it frolfing) and used their discs. A couple years ago I decided to get a few discs of my own. I asked my friends what to get and they said swedish plastic was best. So I went out and got a Pure, Core, River and Halo. It wasn't too long after that my friends and I discovered Westside and I also got a Sword and a King.

Now, I'm generally the type of person who likes to think carefully before I buy something. I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't like to spend money just for the sake of spending money. But there was something about how this plastic looked and felt that lured me in.

Fast forward to the present. Now Dynamic Discs is on the scene. I'm in the Lat 64 facebook group, I've joined team trilogy. My collection has grown embarrasingly large. I've got a disc for just about any situation but I never know which one to throw or even how to throw any of them. New discs come out so quickly that often the ones I just bought are obsolete.

A week or two ago I went out to play a round and winds were 20 mph and gusting even higher. Courses around here are pretty wide open. None of my discs held up, nothing. And I carry a Stilletto for such situations, but I really don't have the arm for it. And I got to thinking, is that really the answer, a speed 14 is the only thing that will hold up in the wind? After I got home that night I got pretty depressed. I mean, I've bought all these discs and it hasn't done anything for me.

Over the next week, I gave the whole business some serious thought. And I got really pissed at myself for being such a fool. I mean of course they are going to tell me everything they make is the next best thing, because I will give them money for it. And the facebook group and the team only takes the misinformation one step further, looking at it now, its disgusting.

So I decided I've had enough. I love disc golf, but I do not love how commercial it has become. I'm selling off most of my collection. I'm done being a walking advertisement.

tumblr_lnax7pC3s41qekg3ho1_500.png

There's "The Truth"

*frowns, shakes head*

and, "The Truth!"

*smiles, nods head*

Trilogy makes some fine discs. Really it's more the archer then the arrow. Wind can be tricky if you're inexperienced. Just my opinion. What about the Scythe, Enforcer, XXX. Not stable enough into a headwind? Should be.

My Verdict and Suspect are great discs. I throw mostly Innova but I just throw what I like, a widely mixed bag.

As far as the discs not working for you, you have to put in the time man. You have to practice, practice, practice. While there are some discs there that you may not need in the end, there are some really solid ones that you just need to learn what they do and work on your form/technique to get to the point that they "do" that. In my eyes it's hard to say that a "disc" failed you unless there is something physically wrong with it. Put some more time in and just wait, you'll see the difference............

Let me give you a little back story. I've never been much of an athlete, but I'd been disc golfing before with my friends (they call it frolfing) and used their discs. A couple years ago I decided to get a few discs of my own. I asked my friends what to get and they said swedish plastic was best. So I went out and got a Pure, Core, River and Halo. It wasn't too long after that my friends and I discovered Westside and I also got a Sword and a King.

Now, I'm generally the type of person who likes to think carefully before I buy something. I'm not a cheapskate, but I don't like to spend money just for the sake of spending money. But there was something about how this plastic looked and felt that lured me in.

Fast forward to the present. Now Dynamic Discs is on the scene. I'm in the Lat 64 facebook group, I've joined team trilogy. My collection has grown embarrasingly large. I've got a disc for just about any situation but I never know which one to throw or even how to throw any of them. New discs come out so quickly that often the ones I just bought are obsolete.

A week or two ago I went out to play a round and winds were 20 mph and gusting even higher. Courses around here are pretty wide open. None of my discs held up, nothing. And I carry a Stilletto for such situations, but I really don't have the arm for it. And I got to thinking, is that really the answer, a speed 14 is the only thing that will hold up in the wind? After I got home that night I got pretty depressed. I mean, I've bought all these discs and it hasn't done anything for me.

Over the next week, I gave the whole business some serious thought. And I got really pissed at myself for being such a fool. I mean of course they are going to tell me everything they make is the next best thing, because I will give them money for it. And the facebook group and the team only takes the misinformation one step further, looking at it now, its disgusting.

So I decided I've had enough. I love disc golf, but I do not love how commercial it has become. I'm selling off most of my collection. I'm done being a walking advertisement.

-Its not the discs fault you are having trouble with the wind.
-Elaborate on "commercial"

And throw what works for you bro, regardless of manufacturer...........

Team Trilogy is just a bunch of misunderstood disc golfers. They're OK, it's everyone else that's confused.

I've heard from a lot of "trilogy" (I hate that name) throwers that they don't have a very good line-up of discs for the wind. I don't know for myself, as I haven't really tried them. But, this isn't the first time I have heard that complaint.

I've heard from a lot of "trilogy" (I hate that name) throwers that they don't have a very good line-up of discs for the wind. I don't know for myself, as I haven't really tried them. But, this isn't the first time I have heard that complaint.

I'm pretty sure it's not the fault of the discs in the OP's case...

Watch the European tourneys. Lots of bad turnovers by the Trilogy pros. Well, I saw at least 2. Having said that, I have no concerns playing with an all Lat 64 bag + a Suspect in any conditions.

Also, you should re-read your contract before you quit the team.

So, is this like the opposite of a "sponsor me" video?

People make those?

OP, if you're going out I say go out with a bang. Just mess with the first 3 rules.

1. Throw a 95% Trilogy Bag during PDGA tournaments,
2. Be a non current PDGA member, and
3. Don't be a positive role model on the course and in Social Media. <- halfway there

I hate to break it to you, but discs don't really become obsolete.

This is absolutely accurate. I've been playing with virtually the same discs as I was 5 years ago. I'm sure that a lot of the Innova team uses molds that are over 10 years old.

I've got a disc for just about any situation but I never know which one to throw or even how to throw any of them. New discs come out so quickly that often the ones I just bought are obsolete.

These two statements say so much about you that the rest of your post is nearly meaningless. It's not the discs, or the manufacturer, its you. As long as you are buying discs that you don't need (and don't apparently even know why you don't need them) just because you think you need to carry all of a certain manufacturer's discs, you might as well just pick the discs with the coolest names.

Learn the game. Have a specific reason for buying a specific disc. If you have all the discs that you think you need, and backups in case you throw one in the water during a tournament, then stop buying more discs and play more.

Nobody's perfect here. We've probably all bought discs and realized that we didn't need them. But carrying around discs when you don't even know why you are carrying should make you stop and think a little and not just about any particular manufacturer.

As to DD/Lat 64/Westside not having wind discs, and Opto Flow saved me on a moderately windy tourney day several months ago and if neither a Stilletto nor XXX is beefy enough for your wind conditions, you might want think about playing in less wind.

So you couldn't find a single disc out of the whole Trilogy line up to handle wind? That's silly.

Try the XXX if the Stiletto was too much for you, it's basically a Firebird.

I've heard the Trident is an even slower beefcake as well.

Latest posts