• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] R419B and 420B testers

Not as fast as a nuke or ape, in the 10, 11 range i would say

Gotcha! So maybe more like an Innova Max? Wow that's beefy. And awesome. Even if it is not speed 13 it is still knocking my Ape out of my bag for spike hyzers, skips, and and kind of wind distance.

Gotcha! So maybe more like an Innova Max? Wow that's beefy. And awesome. Even if it is not speed 13 it is still knocking my Ape out of my bag for spike hyzers, skips, and and kind of wind distance.

Vibram for skips? I havent really had much of that with my laces...

I wonder if any one has tested these 420's for their skipping ability "one of three reasons for carrying a Monster anyway"

I've skipped them a few times, but I've had to throw them low and thus they'l finish relatively short. Give them some air and they'll come down too much on their edge to skip much.

If it's as OS as people are saying it will skip. I've gotten my Laces to slip before. Sometimes depends on the terrain though.

I don't have a video to prove it haha. The R420 is the OS Lace!

I don't have a video to prove it haha. The R420 is the OS Lace!

The Super OS Lace… My personal feelings are that it's too OS. It's not a Stiletto, but… yeah. It's really overstable.

I'll put some video together later if possible.

The Super OS Lace… My personal feelings are that it's too OS. It's not a Stiletto, but… yeah. It's really overstable.

I'll put some video together later if possible.

A vid would be awesome! It really must be the MODD (massively OS distance driver) for Vibram. Midwest winds can be nasty so this is what I need!

I feel that vibram drivers loose a good bit of stability when you first break them in. Then they stay that way. Forever.... Maybe

Anyways perfect that the overstable vibram... Is really overstable! As long as its not no Spd 9 or 10

I got the 419 on Friday and the 420 today. With only a few throws in so far, my 171g 419 is flying EXACTLY like my 172 medium Lace on the front end and is a bit more stable on the back. My 165g 420 feels faster FB/Monsterish, as others have already mentioned. I'm psyched to get some real throws in later this afternoon!

A vid would be awesome! It really must be the MODD (massively OS distance driver) for Vibram. Midwest winds can be nasty so this is what I need!

First tests with the 419 and 420. These throws are after two throws each with the 419B and 420B. I got into a better rhythm later but didn't film them.

Two throws, both mostly downwind, with five discs each:
1st is a heavy Lace that's always been more OS than the other two I own.
2nd and 3rd are my "gamer" Laces. Pretty straight S curves typically.
4th is the 420B (neither of which of these throws were very good at all. I threw a bunch later with the 420B, I just didn't record them).
5th is the 419B.

The 420 wants to fade right away, as you can see. The 419 has substantially more turn than the Laces I typically play with (the heavy one has always resisted turn - I've begun using it into slight headwinds).

Throwing back into the wind, ~15 MPH, the 420B never tried to turn at all. It may have held flat a bit longer, but not much…

More testing to come - this video is VERY early in the process.

http://youtu.be/BHn9N5lg6vE

I got a 420 today, and I'm glad about that as I'm pretty underwhelmed on the 419.

The 1st thing I notice is how much better the mold feels in the hand. Not awkward Or bulky like the 419. This is also more my weight range, 174. My 419 was 164.

I got to throw each of these today thanks to the local Vibram tester. We also played a few holes together so I got to see them in action. My experience is pretty much on par with what the others have said.

The 420 is seriously OS, seemingly with no turn at all. On lower power throws or with any hyzer, it flies to the ground like a magnet, finishing at almost a 90 degree angle. For those of you who have been clamoring for a more OS Vibram disc, this is it in spades.

The 419 is the exact opposite, seriously US. I max out around 325', and don't have anything over speed 8 in my bag. And yet, I was able to turn this thing easier than my Underworlds: it turned for me and didn't come back on a low power throw with a slight hyzer release. Personally, I'm excited by the prospect of this thing: I feel like it could potentially be a great first distance driver for someone like myself. Once dialed in, the distance potential seems great for lower-power or finesse throwers. The tester I played with had some trouble dialing it at first, but managed to throw some awesomely straight tunnel shots once he knew how to finesse. I hope they don't alter this disc significantly in response to tester complaints: I know really US discs aren't very popular, especially with more advanced players, but for us newbies and noodle arms they can be a boon. Also worth keeping in mind that the 419s seem to be coming in lighter weights: the one I threw today was also 164.

One final thought: for wider-rimmed drives, these are quite comfortable in the hand. As unfamiliar with such drivers as I am, I felt fine holding and throwing these.

If it's as OS as people are saying it will skip. I've gotten my Laces to slip before. Sometimes depends on the terrain though.

Definitely skips like you'd expect. The tester threw it flat and low on City Park hole 11 over the OB line, and it originally looked like it wasn't going to come back b/c it was too low to the ground. But that sucker had a good skip (on a shorter, lower power throw) up and in bounds. It was pretty sweet.

The 420 should be able to handle pretty much any wind.

One more thought occurred to me, after my edit window.

For as OS as it is, the 420's fade kicks in fairly late on a full-powered flat release or when thrown anhyzer, meaning that the distance potential seems pretty good for such an OS disc.

Edit: In that respect my experience differs a bit from Erik's relayed above.

I feel that vibram drivers loose a good bit of stability when you first break them in. Then they stay that way. Forever.... Maybe

Anyways perfect that the overstable vibram... Is really overstable! As long as its not no Spd 9 or 10

They do stay that way, I have an obex I've beaten to hell and back, even knocked out the emblem and it's still at that initial break in spot. Hell two days ago I smashed it into a tree pretty much point blank full power, my old man and his buddies said both ends clapped together, but it came out no different than it had been before. Still my same broken in obex :D had the disc been plastic it probably would have hit me!

Last edited:
Hopefully my back and elbow will feel better tomorrow so I can get out and huck my r420 alongside Laces to get a bearing of its flight alongside the Lace.

I know really US discs aren't very popular, especially with more advanced players, but for us newbies and noodle arms they can be a boon.

I think this may be a very regional look at the popularity of certain discs. I find that most advanced and higher players are actually more interested in understable discs than overstable. Understable requires less power and have greater range. Assuming rhbh, an understable disc is actually able to fade longer and farther left than an overstable disc. When thrown properly, ala hyzerflip, they can hold tight, long, and very specific lines in the forest.

If anything, I think overstable discs appeal to less experienced players because they they cover and compensate form flaws better. This can bred false confidence, especially in only a few select lines. Why else are seasoned players always trying to break in TeeBirds and Rocs and so forth to get them fly straight? Do not get me wrong, overstable discs are a necessity on windy days.

The problem with certain understable discs, especially in regards to the first Lace testers, is that there is a point that discs can be so understable that they cannot be predictable. Maybe these are the ones you are referring to that Advanced players do not like.

Hopefully when I get home from my family vacation I will see a few testers in my mailbox.

Latest posts