• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] R419B and 420B testers

I finally felt good enough today (80-85%) to go out and get some throws on my R420B since I pulled a ton of muscles in my back and strained some tendons in my elbows almost a week ago.

For grip, it was shallow, but not so shallow that I had problems with it releasing early. I really liked the rounded part on the bottom of the rim and feel like that made it a lot easier to grip and throw.

I noticed as I began to figure out how to throw it that when mashed upon, it would hold straight before cutting hyzer almost exactly like the Stiletto that I threw last weekend would. I would be extremely surprised if anyone managed to turn the R420B over so that it never came back, even into a stiff headwind. When thrown alongside my Laces, it was clear that there was no comparison. I set it on the desk next to my Laces, and the bottom of its wing was EVEN with the top of my Lace's wing.

I had a few people that don't have the power I do throw it, and it was exactly what I expected: hyzer the millisecond it left their hand.

I believe that the R420B fills a hole in the Vibram lineup. I would put it in the massively overstable Lace slot. I got some video that I hope to have up pretty soon.

I had a few people that don't have the power I do throw it, and it was exactly what I expected: hyzer the millisecond it left their hand.

Nice! I definitely do not have the power you do, but a disc that is going to hyzer hard, regardless of wind or what my noodle-arm does is useful to have in the bag. I'm going to have to get a firm when they're ran, for the skip shots alone.

I returned home from my vacation today to find both of the testers waiting for me. I will try to find some time tomorrow at a big course to give them a fair shake down.

So let me summarize what has been noticed online so far:

419 is basically the understable Lace prototype (which I still have) but is just shaped a little differently.

420 is more overstable than even a Nuke OS.

Tomorrow I will have with me a:

US Lace Proto
Medium Production Lace
Pro Line Hurricane
Bio-Fuzion Trespass

That should be a good sample.

I returned home from my vacation today to find both of the testers waiting for me. I will try to find some time tomorrow at a big course to give them a fair shake down.

So let me summarize what has been noticed online so far:

419 is basically the understable Lace prototype (which I still have) but is just shaped a little differently.

420 is more overstable than even a Nuke OS.

Tomorrow I will have with me a:

US Lace Proto
Medium Production Lace
Pro Line Hurricane
Bio-Fuzion Trespass

That should be a good sample.

I threw my 420 today alongside:

Stable Lace Proto
Firm Lace
M 171 Lace
M 159 Lace
173 Pinnacle Rampage
174 Pinnacle Rampage

I just need to get the video from Johnny Depth and I will get it posted.

Sorry if I missed it, but are these both as wide-rimmed as a Lace?

Just a few throws in, but here is what I have noticed so far:

419 - In the right conditions this disc has a beautiful flight; slight flip, a long ride forward, and then a moderate forward fade. The best part was that I did not feel like I had put my all into it and I was still getting near my max distance.

However, subsequent throws that I tried repeating that first throw were unsuccessful. They flipped and flipped hard. The difference between this and the US Lace I have is that the 419 does not completely flip into a roller, just enough where it is heading in the wrong direction, but fights enough out of it where it continues to fly in that wrong direction, and it still continues to turn in that wrong direction.

Now, all of these shots were from moderate to deep hyzers while going for max distance with a limitless ceiling. I will try stand-and-deliver and powered down shots in a future session.

420 - This is massively overstable, but I would not go as far as some have with the Nuke OS comparisons. I would go more with the Westside Giant. The difference between the Nuke OS and the Giant is that while fading into a hyzer configuration in mid-flight, the Giant is still fighting forward for decent to above-decent distance while the Nuke OS just seems to run out of forward momentum when it drops hard.

While the 419 seemed unpredictable and unrepeatable, the opposite is true of the 420. Knowing what I can generate and knowing what the disc can/ should do, I was able to consistently repeat my results. Tonight I was going for massive flexing shots and throwing just short of purposely throwing it into the ground to turn it into a roller. With even a modest amount of height it will flex out of the anhyzer and into a healthy fade. As I stated earlier, the majority of its fade is still forward, and it is only at the very end of its flight does it seem to just drop out and down.

In general I am not a fan of overstable discs because I am always afraid of underpowering them and having them duck out early (the most overstable disc in my bag is a Predator), but it was great to see the 420 repeatedly do what I was intending it to do.

I got to throw both of these today and I was surprised that this is what Vibram decided to test out. Both molds were in the Medium compound. Would like to see what happens in the Firm.

The 420 was definitely the most consistent of the two molds, but it's now where near the usable disc I was hoping (predator type disc please). If a Nuke OS is a speed 13 then I would put the 420 at a speed 11.5 that needs every ounce of power you have to get any kind of distance on it. Maybe a better comparison would be a mix between a Giant and a XXX. Needs the speed of the Giant with the flight of the XXX with a little more glide. Not sure if this will be able to earn a spot in my bag with the mix of the Giant and the Boatman handling my stable disc needs.

The 419 seemed to remind me of my firm Lace but not as finicky. Overall a good combination between my Firm and Medium Lace (really what I was hoping the Firm Lace would be). All three grouped closely with each other. But after throwing them I got the feeling of throwing my 170 M Trak - some throws would be EPIC but they might lead to HUGE disappointment if not thrown perfectly for the shot. Thrown with a little too much hyzer and it just held the line the whole way. Thrown a little too flat and they stayed right, but didn't dig in like the Firm Lace would. I'm not sure that the 419 in the Firm compound would be usable or if it would make a great roller.

The one MASSIVE positive to all of these discs is the all of them were BRIGHT. I could even throw the green without alot of worry of needing to search for it if the grass was a little too high. The reds and blues were vibrant and the pink was awesome. Can't wait to see this rubber run in other molds.

Just my $.02

I got a chance to throw my 420 today at the course, and I could see it being very useful. I threw it hard and flat and where I turned my Laces, it held straight before hyzering hard to put me in a good second shot position every time I threw it. There was no doubt about what it would do. I knew that when thrown hard it would end hyzering regardless of wind, etc. I also found that it waits long enough on a full power throw to still put up a respectable distance. I really am growing to like the R420B as I throw it more and more and could find a very definitive spot in my bag for it. I normally am not a huge fan of overstable discs, but this disc may change that for me.

If I were to guesstimate at Innova-esque flight numbers for this disc, I would have to guess: 12/3/0/4

Here is a video that Johnny Depth filmed while I was warming up yesterday before our round. My power wasn't all that great since my back and strained elbow tendons were only at about 85%, but there are still some pretty good hucks in there. Hopefully I can get another video with the flight visible this weekend.

Here is a video that Johnny Depth filmed while I was warming up yesterday before our round. My power wasn't all that great since my back and strained elbow tendons were only at about 85%, but there are still some pretty good hucks in there. Hopefully I can get another video with the flight visible this weekend.

How far you throwing them? I would call it a 13 and not a 12, plus the glide is stoopid

I would have to guess that I was getting somewhere in the neighborhood 375 with the 420 and around 450ish with the other discs I threw. I am really looking forward to getting out and getting more video of it now that I am getting rashly close to 100% again. The rim felt a little smaller than my lace is why I said speed 12. Also, I don't think it has near the glide of the lace which is rated as a 5. I guess I could see it's glide being almost a 4.

Great vid sir! Looks like the feedback we have been hearing is confirmed. R420B looks nice and beefy and the R419B looks nice and understable. Perfect additions to the UDD and MODD spots in the Vibram distance driver lineup.

So it's been 2 weeks now since testers received the R420B and R419B. I'm hoping only a week or so more until Steve has enough feedback?

Latest posts