• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Rare PIAS Finds

Don't really think any of these are super rare discs, but got some rare value at my PIAS today. The had a tournament stamped Lucid Justice for $8(new) and a mildly used Fusion Sheriff ($6) and a 158 McBeth Destroyer ($12) that I got for free with my full disc card. This PIAS has a buy two get one half off so I grabbed a TP Boatman with come cool swells that ended up being $3 after the discount. So all said four discs, some I may not throw but are still cool, for $19 after tax.

Which PIAS?

Which PIAS?

Kennesaw one, think someone just unloaded a bunch of older discs a Tournament stamps there. There is good stuff if you like oldies and don't mind digging a bit. Not everything is as underpriced as I found though.

Kennesaw one, think someone just unloaded a bunch of older discs a Tournament stamps there. There is good stuff if you like oldies and don't mind digging a bit. Not everything is as underpriced as I found though.

One of my favorite parts of this disc golf hobby is digging through discs at PIAS. Found some great used stuff, usually tournament stamped because those don't stand out as much as production stamps. But really, the hunt is better than the find.

One of my favorite parts of this disc golf hobby is digging through discs at PIAS. Found some great used stuff, usually tournament stamped because those don't stand out as much as production stamps. But really, the hunt is better than the find.

I've got to agree about this. I relate it to stumbling into a cool old record shop, and sifting through the bargain bins in the back. When you find a rare one for only a couple bucks it's definitely a good feeling to snatch it up.

I've got to agree about this. I relate it to stumbling into a cool old record shop, and sifting through the bargain bins in the back. When you find a rare one for only a couple bucks it's definitely a good feeling to snatch it up.

That is my one other collector hobby. Plastic circles have had a big influence in my life.

Biggest finds were Meet the Beatles, Dark Side of the moon and Moving pictures for $3 each in a shop that didn't sort their stuff. They bought anything for $.50 and sold everything for $3(buy 10 get one free.) They went out of business, but I probably bought 100+records there.

Yeah at a Ice bowl in Aberdeen South Dakota in the 2000's I think 2005 after Discraft had stopped making the Elite X Wasp for anything other then tournaments I got an Elite X Wasp, however the disc is too light for me to use at 166 grams and between a 173-176 grams those two weight groups was what I wanted in a midrange disc. I never liked the way the higher winds could push around the lightweight Wasp. The disc was over looked because it was not a from that Ice bowl or years prior tournaments as the disc was from another tournament in Aberdeen. The Ice Bowl had to use other discs from another tournament as they ran out of discs Due to number of people but I did not care as most of the other people wanted the Ice Bowl Discs from the Tournament and most did not want a non max weight Wasp even if it was a rare plastic at the time.

Last edited:
Picked up a yellow 180g DX Wolf today at the new PIAS in Portsmouth. Looks brand new and I'm pretty stoked to throw it since there are a few other threads on DGCR with a lot of chatter on the Wolf. Haven't read them, but must be good news with that many threads and posts!! :hfive:

Picked up a yellow 180g DX Wolf today at the new PIAS in Portsmouth. Looks brand new and I'm pretty stoked to throw it since there are a few other threads on DGCR with a lot of chatter on the Wolf. Haven't read them, but must be good news with that many threads and posts!! :hfive:

Not all good news, the Wolf is a disc the people either like or do not like at all even a little.

My buddy found one of my old ace wizards at a PIAS the other day so that was kind of exciting.

I found bran new or nearly back in 2004 a G9i Wizard Approach version, one with the old way of doing the labeling on back of disc as my dads Hard Wizard had what is now current version of labeling on back.

I gave the G9i Away to a friend who is a Wizard user in hopes he uses the disc for some approach as well as his driving putter.

Well, had you read the Wolf threads you probably would have left the disc at PIAS. Someone unloaded that thing on PIAS for a very good reason.

I found an almost new Prodigy X1 at a PIAS in Green Bay. That was a solid find. Also found a Proto D1, but no one seems too interested in those. Have a PFN Teerex, PFN TL, and a PFN XCal that all came from the Used bin at Rollin' Ridge.

Also pulled a PFN Champ Beast recently. Found an inked to crap PFN 12x Star Wraith at my local shop. I was excited because I throw wraiths. It's blue with black ink doodles on top, though, so I'm afraid of losing it. I really just need to get some bright green or pink dye and make some of my ugly good throwers easier to find. I've got a couple PFN Teebirds that are also mostly dark blue... the perfect color to get lost.

Its rather funny when people don't recognize sarcasm...

Yup. Well, most of that post was true.

Basic Wolf Review (because I'm pretty sure we need another Wolf review)

Took it over to the little park after work and compared some 150-200' RHBHs with an XT Colt, Dart and Rhyno. At that distance it was pretty stable, def not -4. Not too different from the Dart or Colt, but significantly less overstable than the Rhyno. I'm guessing at 250' the difference would be more significant. Seemed to have decent glide.

One huge con is the rim profile. It seems to have bumps everywhere my hand doesn't want them. No matter how I held it (BH), it felt weird. Plus the sharp bead on the bottom ripped out each time I threw it.

Score = 3 out of 10

Yup. Well, most of that post was true.

Basic Wolf Review (because I'm pretty sure we need another Wolf review)

Took it over to the little park after work and compared some 150-200' RHBHs with an XT Colt, Dart and Rhyno. At that distance it was pretty stable, def not -4. Not too different from the Dart or Colt, but significantly less overstable than the Rhyno. I'm guessing at 250' the difference would be more significant. Seemed to have decent glide.

One huge con is the rim profile. It seems to have bumps everywhere my hand doesn't want them. No matter how I held it (BH), it felt weird. Plus the sharp bead on the bottom ripped out each time I threw it.

Score = 3 out of 10

You poor soul. Not only did you spend money on a wolf, you spent time and effort throwing the stupid thing

I found an almost new Prodigy X1 at a PIAS in Green Bay. That was a solid find. Also found a Proto D1, but no one seems too interested in those. Have a PFN Teerex, PFN TL, and a PFN XCal that all came from the Used bin at Rollin' Ridge.

Also pulled a PFN Champ Beast recently. Found an inked to crap PFN 12x Star Wraith at my local shop. I was excited because I throw wraiths. It's blue with black ink doodles on top, though, so I'm afraid of losing it. I really just need to get some bright green or pink dye and make some of my ugly good throwers easier to find. I've got a couple PFN Teebirds that are also mostly dark blue... the perfect color to get lost.

I assume that first part is in past tense. I'd be interested in a proto D1 lol

Saw some quality discs at my Pias today.
Bought a white 7/10 Pd2 topped bottom stamp Destroyer for $3, thanks to Jeff Wilson for the tiny ink.
Left a stock stamp champ Tern with an Air Force mini stamp, and an inked up Maroon 3 line AJ Destroyer.

Saw some quality discs at my Pias today.
Bought a white 7/10 Pd2 topped bottom stamp Destroyer for $3, thanks to Jeff Wilson for the tiny ink.
Left a stock stamp champ Tern with an Air Force mini stamp, and an inked up Maroon 3 line AJ Destroyer.

Even inked up you could get at least 20 for that AJ, depending on how bad the ink is.

Even inked up you could get at least 20 for that AJ, depending on how bad the ink is.

Black out plate ink 😑 Plus it's seen some desert use, had a gouge or 2. Not something I want to try and sell over the web.

Latest posts