• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ratings and penalty strokes

There's a lot of potential content that could be discussed in depth. For starters, rather than regurgitate it here, please read or re-read my story on Granularity. That's the current go-to in-depth discussion on some parts of this ratings and penalties topic.

Extensive T&D can be handled by the ratings system. It's just proven to alter the game stats enough that it's not the same game. Ball golf discovered this long ago and many in disc golf have not realized that. If T&D boundaries lined both sides of every fairway and every OB area that players had to carry in the main fairway, it would be fully rateable T&D disc golf. Players would have separate T&D ratings and T&D propagators would produce new scores. I don't think players would find it fun but it would be a legit game with legit stats.

Hey Chuck,

Where is the article on Granularity? Hate to be lazy, but, well, okay, I'm lazy.

There is a case to be made here for penalties called by your card. One group of players may not call marginal fairway foot faults, another group might. Other threads have shown there are many players on this forum who, for one reason or another, rarely or never call a stance violation if they don't think the player was trying to get an unfair advantage. OTOH, there are folks who think every rules violation should be called, regardless of how minor. Hence, a player may or may not be called depending on the make up of their card.

Same with courtesy violations. Very card dependent.

That's the way it used to be (auto DNF). Now the TD has the discretion to assign par+4 for missed holes in the middle or at the end of a round per 803.03G(6): "Omitted Hole. The round has been completed, and the player has neglected to play a hole. The hole is scored the same as a hole missed due to late arrival."

It's up to the TD whether to let the player continue to play due to extenuating circumstances (i.e. a good excuse for skipping/missing the holes) or to DQ for deliberately misplaying for advantage (e.g. skipping a hole to take a par+4 rather than a potentially higher score).

Gotcha. Thanks for correcting me.

With regard to the OP. if there were an easy way to do it, I would prefer to not use scores thrown by propagators that include penalty padding like missing holes. I agree that mental error penalties like mis-adding a scorecard or forgetting to turn it in, making practice throws or multiple foot faults could reasonably be called skill based errors that are legit parts of scores where they can be used to propagate ratings.

However, the late start par+4s are a little dicey. Not sure I like this penalty which seems like a waffle compromise by the RC for our sport. Missing a hole in ball golf is a DQ which many feel is too harsh for DG, the friendly, more relaxed version of golf. And I get that. However, the +4 penalty is harsh enough that it usually takes a player out of contention missing just one hole let alone a few. Maybe the Competition Committee should consider DQ in the future for A-tier and higher events where players must be PDGA members?

As a few pointed out above, we exclude propagators from generating ratings if they shoot more than 60 pts below their rating. Missing more than one hole is usually enough penalties to exclude them from propagating that round. It also may be enough to drop your round rating to where your round is excluded from your next rating update. BTW, we use the actual rating in our database of propagators who temporarily have a lower rating displayed due to 888 status. We do not use their 888 rating.

There is a case to be made here for penalties called by your card. One group of players may not call marginal fairway foot faults, another group might. Other threads have shown there are many players on this forum who, for one reason or another, rarely or never call a stance violation if they don't think the player was trying to get an unfair advantage. OTOH, there are folks who think every rules violation should be called, regardless of how minor. Hence, a player may or may not be called depending on the make up of their card.

Same with courtesy violations. Very card dependent.

I honestly think this requires a rules change. It takes a very focused player to see every throw and movement by the players on his or her card. If you don't see it you can't call it. I would say I see about 10% of the fairway drive foot placements on the cards I'm on. That means I'm now in a moral quandary, is it fair to make a call to that player who missteps just because I happened to see his?