• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] RDG Fossil Lizards

TheBMeistor

Eagle Member
Just got mine in the mail today and they are sweet! Thought I would make a new thread to keep the Scale thread more on topic.

picture.php

Really love this plastic. Molds up with a tight nose and really flat. These are even noticeably flatter than my other wizards that I hand pick to be that way.

Can't wait to throw em this weekend.

Any plans for Lizards in Tar Pit? Will probably need something a little softer for winter.

In all honesty I should have missed out too, jcassidy1990 said he wasn't listing them till monday but I just happened to be on when they went live.

Ill say with confidence that we will run more. It is actually paramount to new molds for me honestly. Wizards are the perfect putter & Fossil is the perfect plastic to throw them in :)

Got mine yesterday afternoon too.

7F98DDC1-9639-4205-BFCD-2186D294F2F3.jpg

D98C747B-2A6D-4DDF-B7E4-221C1CFBD53F.jpg

First impressions:

1. These putters are firm. Really firm.

2. These make me appreciate how thin the Scale's flight plate is. It's funny because when the Wizard was released, one of the selling points was the "progressive" flight plate thickness and how it was thinner than an Aviar. The Scale is way thinner than either one. I'm guessing the Wizard will be less prone to the tacoing I experienced with my Fossil Scales.

3. Like someone mentioned in the other thread, they molded up with a much smoother surface texture than the Scale. Like the old KC plastic, I think the feel will greatly improve with some scuffs and a few thousand putts.

4. The plastic reminds me much more of early 10X than 11X.

If the rain holds off, I'll get out and throw these a little bit at lunchtime. I'm really clicking with my main putting wizards right now, so it will take a lot to knock one of those out of the bag. But I have a good feeling that one of these will be a thrower for me.

Love the write up's so far on these.
I will say one thing about the surface complexion as well...These were just a tiny proto batch so I will definitely make sure to inform Dave that folks want them a little grittier like the Fossil in our molds. I'd even like to see if come out with chalk bits like the Serps do.

I love how rigid these Fossil Wizards are though. They're nicely OS and provide that perfect filler between Scales and Serps.

Got mine yesterday- I think I got one of the first ones after changing plastic, it's a bit orange. Threw a couple practice shots with them at Bradford yesterday, and took one with me on my round at RL Smith this morning. I found myself reaching for my pure quite a bit less for upshots. Good glide, but not enough to make it useless in a breeze, not too much fade, and it is smooth- but with a little morning dew on the disc or some sweat on your hands and it gets grippy. Very nice. Had my personal best round at Smith using it for most upshots and a few drives, 3 under overall. Heading to Nevin now for some abuse.

Got mine yesterday- I think I got one of the first ones after changing plastic, it's a bit orange. Threw a couple practice shots with them at Bradford yesterday, and took one with me on my round at RL Smith this morning. I found myself reaching for my pure quite a bit less for upshots. Good glide, but not enough to make it useless in a breeze, not too much fade, and it is smooth- but with a little morning dew on the disc or some sweat on your hands and it gets grippy. Very nice. Had my personal best round at Smith using it for most upshots and a few drives, 3 under overall. Heading to Nevin now for some abuse.

Keep us posted on its ability to rebound from hits.
I'm pretty proud of Fossil's balance of rigidity and durability. Hopefully this translates as well in the Fossil Wizards.

I got mine from dehaas for his 3-Man Throwdown, and I'm damn impressed. Jamie, you've got a winning blend on your hands. Super chalky and grippy while still being quite firm. I would like a little less give to the flightplate so it would season into where it is now, but I imagine I'm in the minority with that desire. My G9i that's been in the bag since they were released has now softened to a similar firmness, but it doesn't have anywhere the same amount of grip to it.

Anyone looking for a (decently) firm Wizard that doesn't suffer from the slickness of most plastics that are this stiff needs to step over their mother to get some of these!

I got mine from dehaas for his 3-Man Throwdown, and I'm damn impressed. Jamie, you've got a winning blend on your hands. Super chalky and grippy while still being quite firm. I would like a little less give to the flightplate so it would season into where it is now, but I imagine I'm in the minority with that desire. My G9i that's been in the bag since they were released has now softened to a similar firmness, but it doesn't have anywhere the same amount of grip to it.

Anyone looking for a (decently) firm Wizard that doesn't suffer from the slickness of most plastics that are this stiff needs to step over their mother to get some of these!

Thannnnnk you sir :)

The thing that I am most pleased with about these Wizards is that we will be able to provide a "consistent" offering to folks that want the BEST driving Wizards possible. It can be a crap shoot buying Wizards online but I can assure you that only Wizards that are run in Fossil will be deemed Fossil ;)

I would definitely be interested if more were made, they look great.

Well it ate some trees at Nevin, and is holding up well. 80% off the tee pad into a tree 30-40 feet out a couple times, and there's some slight indentations, but nothing major. I'm looking forward to getting this nice and seasoned.

Got out at lunch and threw for about 45 minutes today, with a small bag of wizards. I threw all kinds of shots from putts to 220' drives.

The Fossil is definitely not going to be a putting disc for me, at least while it's still fresh. The plastic is too smooth/slick for my liking. I prefer a much grippier feel on my putting putters. It definitely gets grippier with some moisture, which is nice.

For throwing, it's great. Flies just like my other fresh wizards, maybe a very slightly harder fade at low speeds. I really like the stiff feel for full-power drives. Really reminds me of the original G9i wizard in feel/profile. Nice low shoulder with a very flat top.

I almost aced with my very first throw, and I had a couple 100' approaches that hit chains. The feel is still a little slicker than I would like, and I had a couple early slip-outs. But my Fossil scale is made from the same stuff and it's got MUCH more grip after a couple months of wear. I'm going to keep this in my practice rotation until I can beat it in a little more and get some extra grip on it. Wish I could take this back to Phoenix for a week, it would be perfect.

Got out at lunch and threw for about 45 minutes today, with a small bag of wizards. I threw all kinds of shots from putts to 220' drives.

The Fossil is definitely not going to be a putting disc for me, at least while it's still fresh. The plastic is too smooth/slick for my liking. I prefer a much grippier feel on my putting putters. It definitely gets grippier with some moisture, which is nice.

For throwing, it's great. Flies just like my other fresh wizards, maybe a very slightly harder fade at low speeds. I really like the stiff feel for full-power drives. Really reminds me of the original G9i wizard in feel/profile. Nice low shoulder with a very flat top.

I almost aced with my very first throw, and I had a couple 100' approaches that hit chains. The feel is still a little slicker than I would like, and I had a couple early slip-outs. But my Fossil scale is made from the same stuff and it's got MUCH more grip after a couple months of wear. I'm going to keep this in my practice rotation until I can beat it in a little more and get some extra grip on it. Wish I could take this back to Phoenix for a week, it would be perfect.

Excellent break down.
The Talc-Filled propylene that is one of the main ingredients of this recipe guarantees that the blend will get grippier and grittier as they season.

Took all my other wizards out of the bag for a round today to make sure I gave my fossils a good opportunity. I also did some putting with them last night and throwing them a bit in the yard. First impressions:

These things BOMB. I actually had a hard time ranging my upshots with them. I would try and throw 60% ish power from a standstill and they would just carry 200 feet plus like it was nothing. I think it's the grip, I think I'm getting a cleaner and more powerful release then my other throwing wizards. This makes sense to me as I used KCP Aviar exclusively for about 9 years, which is a big reason j love fossil plastic so much. Off the tee I was getting 250-300 foot Lazer beams no problem. They pretty much drive just like any other wizard; holds the line you put it on perfectly. Liked the extra carry off the tee more then on upshots.

I putted really well with them during my round, which suprised me. Last night in the yard I was getting a lot of front rim bangers or violent chain outs. The disc catchers did a much better job then my yard basket. Only missed one put inside the circle and hit the chastity belt twice from 60'. I'm still not convinced these will kick out my current putting wizards, but they are definitely getting the opportunity to.

Absolutely murdered a tree from 50 feet out and it didn't taco or clover. I don't mind FUBAR wizards at all, but it's really nice to know that I don't have to worry about mangling a go to wizard in the middle of a round, which is always a concern with Sure Grip plastic.

I thought the grip was great, but I'm biased from throwing KCP for so long. I do hope future runs have more grittiness out of the box, the way all my fossil scales do.

Not a whole lot that others have said that I can add. Fossil is my favorite plastic that I have ever used. If I could have all my mids and putters in this I would be the happiest person ever.

If/ when more or ran please run A LOT. I could see these becoming something that could finance lots of fun new things, depending on your margins. I will seriously buy as many as I can afford.

It's a great time to throw beaded putters with what RDG is pumping out.

Latest posts