• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Recommend to me a beefy baseline mid

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody! Sounds like Viper, Drone, and Gator have the most votes. I've used Gators as utility discs in the past (Star and Champ). I'm assuming DX Gators are a bit less OS than their Star/Champ counterparts, right? I'm not looking for utility OS in this slot, just OS enough to hold up to headwinds and still go pretty straight with some solid fade. While a Gator doesn't feel all that much like a Roc, I've at least used them before so I'm fairly used to them, so I might try one of those if they're a little less OS in DX. On the other hand, knowing me, I'll probably end up buying all 3 and just auditioning them against each other. ;)

Use (and beat up) a DX Gator and season it in, and it should be where you want it to be. You might look at an MVP Tensor, too, or another disc listed to the left of the Roc/Roc3 on the Marshall Street Flight Guide...

I'd say either Pro-D Drone or Sure Grip Warrior. If you want to resemble the flight of the Roc I'd say the Warrior is closer. It's a bit more OS but sounds like you're okay with that.

Yeah Cro is less glide but not much fade either.

I have ordered a DX Gator, DX Viper, Pro D Drone. I would love to try an M Sentinel, but they seem hard to find (Discgolfcenter and Infinite don't have them, neither does Millennium's online pro shop), and I wouldn't want to fall in love with a base plastic mold that was hard to replace given that it's only likely to last a season or two. The Gateway Warrior is an interesting idea; I have heard Gateway mids have a curved inner rim, and I haven't liked curved inner rims on several discs I've thrown (for example the Ion) although I did get used to it on the PA4. If one of these doesn't work out, I will give an S Warrior a try.

Haven't thrown one, but what about the Cro? Beefier than a Roc, right? Available in DX.

Had a chance to throw a friend's Star Cro once. IMHO it's a good bit like the Roc3. Not beefier, IMHO.

Side note: owner liked to forehand flick the Cro, so it was good for that.

Want to buy some Sentinels from the link above? Use my discount code for 5 percent off your order: BigCountryST

(unlimited uses, good for any discs, not just Sentinels!)

I say Warrior but that rim may not agree with you, I didn't mind it though. DX Cros are straight/stable but less stable than a nice dx rancho roc. They glide less and may be a little better in wind but I don't throw my dx in that environment so it is hard to say. The Champ Cros from the factory store are plenty stable but not dx either so those won't work.

There are no M Sentinels at that link, sorry. M stands for "Millennium" which is the equivalent of "pro" type plastic and AFAICT seems to be OOP for Sentinels. You may be confusing that for the "MF" which means "Medium Fade." Infinite, like most online dealers, only has Sentinels in Quantum and Sirius plastic, which are equivalent to Champion and Star plastic, and thus not baseline.

Cro won't do it, feels different, smaller diameter, and about same stability. Don't know how I feel about the viper either, its a longer disc IMO and different feel.

Last edited:
I have a couple of old DX bar gators that go in and out of the bag, fly pretty stable with more glide than champs, for sure less OS.

I would honestly say a champ JL gator though. I prefer the most durable/overstable plastics for my utility molds seeing as I'd like them to remain the same over a long period of time. Seem like any baseline is going to see a lot of change over time and eventually be replaced or cycled. I've had a JL gator bagged since it came out, stamp is faded/lots of little knicks and whatnot and still fly really overstable.

why not throw a champ roc? really don't like premium plastic that much?

Last edited:

Latest posts