• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommendations for Japan?

Tim_the_Enchanter

Birdie Member
I'm finally getting to check off one of the items on my bucket list this year by traveling to Japan, and I'm wondering if anyone has insights on must play courses out there? So far, I've only found a little bit of info in my searches as far as courses go, udisc shows several but most don't have reviews and there's more than a few that are all in kanji.

So far, I just have Showa Kinen park on the list as it seems to be the only decent course in the Tokyo metro area--but it looks like a pretty average course as things considered. I'm wondering if there are any real destination courses out there? I would potentially be open to renting a car to get to one if it was something stellar. I'll mainly be staying in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka.

Please let me know what you find out, I am hoping to go there one day.

As you mentioned, Showa Kinen Park in Tokyo is a popular disc golf course. Other golf courses in Tokyo are Kasai Rinkai Park and Hikarigaoka Park. In Kyoto, you can try searching Maple Valley and Shiga.

I had a couple of trips to Tokyo area—unfortunately did not get to play DG. There is one member who was stationed there (military), but don't recall his name. He did some reviews, so you can find him from that—he doesn't post much.

Anyway, the one thing I recall is the top spot near Tokyo was in a park that costs a few $, and access is time limited, meaning the park wasn't open all day.

You will need to really plan ahead to play DG in Japan.

As you mentioned, Showa Kinen Park in Tokyo is a popular disc golf course. Other golf courses in Tokyo are Kasai Rinkai Park and Hikarigaoka Park. In Kyoto, you can try searching Maple Valley and Shiga.
Thank you for the suggestions, but I had little to no luck finding info about any of those. I found Tatsumi Seaside Park when looking up Kasai Rinkai, if that's the one you're thinking of. Though more convenient, it looks pretty underwhelming. I'm guessing Showa Kinen is still the best bet.

Disc golf resources and information can sometimes be limited, especially for less well-known courses. This guide might help you choose Japan Disc Golf - Your Guide to Disc Golf in Japan | UDisc

If Showa Kinen Park remains your best option and you're looking for a more satisfying disc golf experience in the Tokyo area, then it sounds like a reasonable choice. Enjoy your time

Yeah, I've browsed through that link before, but didn't find much. It seems like just about every course that has any reviews is like "good short beginner course, you only need a putter." 😕 I was hoping someone here might have knowledge of a more epic DG course in Japan, but it's looking like I might have been overly optimistic about how much of a thing it is over there.

Every pro event I've seen on YT is a temp course on a golf course. From what I've heard a lot of seniors play there, so maybe shorter courses are more in demand?

Well, I just got back from my trip, and Japan as a country is awesome, but sadly, the disc golf is lacking. I did end up going to Showa Kinen, but it was a lot of time on the train and a lot of walking for a very basic course. I brought a mid and a putter, but that was too many discs as it turned out. There were a few holes that were pretty to look at (especially in cherry blossom season I'm sure) but by and large it was short and simple Steady Ed type course. And although it seemed to get a good amount of use, it was pretty overgrown with shin high grass.

For anyone reading this thread in the future, this course is worth going to if you're looking to add a new country to your courses played list, but otherwise, there are probably better things to prioritize if you're on limited time. Normally, bagging a course in a new area is a highlight of a trip for me, but this time it felt like half a day's activity with not much payoff.