• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

East Coast Wooded Monsters

I've played most of the courses being discussed here and like the classification of "wooded monsters".

I think to get to be a wooded monster there has to be multiple par 5's. Nocky has 2, Iron Hill has 4. Good par 5's are tough to find in disc golf as they just eat up space. Take basket #17 at the Hill, I'm guessing it takes up more square yards than other courses front nines. Nocky #10 (or 5 for that matter) could be 3 baskets easy. Good par 5's are even more rare as usually they're just labelled 5's but if you get a four you're not too happy. Walking away from any of the 5's at IH or Nocky you may not be happy with par, but it's still ahead of the guy that just sixed it that's common on all of the baskets mentioned. (OK -- maybe I'm being nice to basket #8 at IH, but Jimi can chime in if the grown-ups averaged closer to 4 than 5 on it at the DDG. Also with the perfect conditions they had I bet 10 took a beating too .. . ??)

Jimi hates out of bounds near trees -- I think it has its place. The baskets along the creeks at Nockamixon are well-done and I'll use that as exhibit A. Yes -- you can kick into the creek off a rock or tree, but you can also lay up short of the water on most of the throws and not hit trees. I know, trees happen and someones going to miss the line completely and still end up with a putt when the next guy just catches the inside of a tree and kicks into the water for an extra stroke -- it's a game not a science. Whine, recover, move on. What's the other choice -- no penalty for the creek? That's sillier and less intuitive. You can almost get away with at IH since those crappy little wash areas rarely have much if any water, but I still contend both 3 and 4 would be better with OB ("oob" Opti . . ? stop that). Especially 3's green. If you're in the bottom of that ravine you should have an extra penalty -- there's a fairway and you missed it, sorry. Now that my casual groups have adopted Jimi rules (Jimi's house -- his rules) I play the basket differently and I think it's less fun. And don't get me started on playing from the parking lot on #13 in the short pin . . . ?? No no no. OB can add to the challenge -- just because you flashback to Rutgers with even the mention of it -- it's a good tool for our game.

I'm a huge fan of Castle Hayne and always look forward to the challenge when we're in the Wilmington area but baskets like #1, #2, and #9 alone knock it out of the running to be a "monster". Also -- the course record is a 49 -- not really the same neighborhood as these other layouts, but again -- a great course and a great place to play. (Needs a few hills too . . . :) )

Last edited:
I thought Seneca was quite monotonous although solid and challenging but not quite as spectacular as iron hill or nocky or nevin
I hear this reaction frequently so I take it as valid, but it always surprises me. Seneca offers a continuing challenge because so many fairways demand subtle adjustments to hit the lines correctly. Moreso when the baskets are in the B and C positions, of course. I like courses that make you shape lines rather than just hitting a gap.

To address Jimi's comment, this need to learn the subtleties of the course does give local players an advantage over touring pros.

Even though I am not a big arm, I love playing wooded monsters. Few things in disc golf are more satisfying than making two or three really good shots to birdie (or sometimes par) a hole.

I play Seneca and Patapsco frequently, but Iron Hill, Tyler, and Nocky are all on my wish list.

I've played most of the courses being discussed here and like the classification of "wooded monsters".

I've only played a couple....but the term "Wooded Monsters" is a great one. This would be an excellent thread for that alone.

I agree with jimi on no oob on 3 or 4. I think being at the bottom of a ravine with trees between u and the basket is punishment enough on both holes without adding the kick u when you're down ob I remember a particular rollaway at renny that went through a hazillion sapplings to a dry small wash at the base of a hill and I was shocked that there was a gold oob rope all the way down there. I thought that was silly I was overpunished on that hole.

I like wooded monsters. I'd like to find a wooded monster with a little more elevation change, and more water holes than I see at nock/IH/tyler. But they are all good courses.

I do agree that I think the constant change at tyler possibly detracts from the course, that and you can't just go out any day and play the longest configuration. I want a difficult course that I can play every time, and then compare my scores to see if I'm progressing.

I also enjoy getting punched in the face by hole 17 at Iron Hill. I think it's even tougher than Hole 3 at french creek, which is also extremely difficult to par.

Last edited:
I like wooded monsters. I'd like to find a wooded monster with a little more elevation change, and more water holes than I see at nock/IH/tyler. But they are all good courses.

I do agree that I think the constant change at tyler possibly detracts from the course, that and you can't just go out any day and play the longest configuration. I want a difficult course that I can play every time, and then compare my scores to see if I'm progressing.

I also enjoy getting punched in the face by hole 17 at Iron Hill. I think it's even tougher than Hole 3 at french creek, which is also extremely difficult to par.

Orange Crush fits that description perfectly.

The one of those I have played is Patapsco. I only played there once, but I remember a lot of open holes. Definitely would not call it a wooded monster at all.

I love woods golf and I really hope to play some of those courses someday!

Leave drivers at home for Nevin. only needed on 12 long. see your score lower.

Leave drivers at home for Nevin. only needed on 12 long. see your score lower.

This was definitely the lesson I learned this summer while touring through the western PA wooded monsters. Coming from Louisiana, my instinct was to reach for a driver off the tee more often then not when dealing with distances 275+. Big mistake that cost me early at places like Two Mile Extension and Orange Crush.

The more experience I get playing wooded monsters, the more I feel that it's about picking and choosing where to take your shots. When in doubt, I err on the side of caution, whereas in New Orleans I usually err on the side of going for it, since the potential for punishment is so much lower. This will be obvious for some, but is a lesson that I had (and continue) to learn, owing to the fact that I regularly play in more open environs.

I like how Wooded Monsters force you to consider shot selection even when the line itself is straightforward, owing to the continual balance of risk and reward.

In the "East Coast Wooded Monster" category I would also add Magnolia in Live Oak, FL (I-75 & I-10 intersection). Despite the wimpy flowering tree name, it is a superbly designed wooded course, 7,200' and (real) Par-62.

It displaced my previous favorite flat course that was mentioned up thread - Castle Hayne (6,767', Par-64). Magnolia is an amazing course that deserves MUCH more notoriety here. Add to that, that Magnolia is on a site with a totally cool Woodstockesque music festival venue and it really is over the top.
While I have played Nevin,Patapsco, Renny and Hornets Nest; I have not yet played Iron Hill, Nockamixon, Quaker's Challenge, Tyler, French Creek, Orange Crush, Woodshed and Whipping Post. I love these types of courses too - my favorite. I need to spend some time in that mid-Atlantic region.

Potentially the IDGC courses might be candidates to this compare and contrast list. I think Buckhorn falls short of being considered a Monster course as it is only 5,748' and Par-55.

Last edited:
Nockamixon, Tyler State Park and Nevin. You will be GLAD to exit the woods at the end of those days, my friends.

I agree with jimi on no ob on 3 or 4. I think being at the bottom of a ravine with trees between u and the basket is punishment enough on both holes without adding the kick u when you're down ob I remember a particular rollaway at renny that went through a hazillion sapplings to a dry small wash at the base of a hill and I was shocked that there was a gold OB rope all the way down there. I thought that was silly I was overpunished on that hole.

Please . .. "oob" .. . make it stop. :|

There is a handful who are conspicuous by their absence.
My guess is the same trend will continue.
Nocky Tyler Iron series maybe with additional $ for winning the series
call it the nockatyleriron cup lol

^^^^^
This could almost happen nex year. The Hoodoo at Nocky i thinkmis s going to be an A tier and might be moved to the end of the summer. The Yetter is in early September and the DE Disc golf was the nex weekend. That would be 3 a ties at 3 of the wooded monsters in 3 or 4 weeks

I agree with jimi on no oob on 3 or 4. I think being at the bottom of a ravine with trees between u and the basket is punishment enough on both holes without adding the kick u when you're down ob I remember a particular rollaway at renny that went through a hazillion sapplings to a dry small wash at the base of a hill and I was shocked that there was a gold oob rope all the way down there. I thought that was silly I was overpunished on that hole.

The reason that these ravines make a better basket being out of bounds is it puts more pressure on the drive. 1000 rated guys should be staring down the gut of those hallways to the basket -- you hit the ravine you've made a bad approach. I've found over time without the penalty it really helps a wimpy dude like me since (especially 3 -- I throw my backhand into that green even though it fades down the slope) I can be more aggressive from 270ish feet out. No risk. If the 1000 rated guy makes the correct drive his approach doesn't really bring the OB into play.

I don't know the Renny basket you're referencing, but neither basket at Iron Hill is too difficult an up and down from if you find yourself there.

Last edited:
The reason that these ravines make a better basket being out of bounds is it puts more pressure on the drive. 1000 rated guys should be staring down the gut of those hallways to the basket -- you hit the ravine you've made a bad approach. I've found over time without the penalty it really helps a wimpy dude like me since (especially 3 -- I throw my backhand into that green even though it fades down the slope) I can be more aggressive from 270ish feet out. No risk. If the 1000 rated guy makes the correct drive his approach doesn't really bring the OB into play.

I don't know the Renny basket you're referencing, but neither basket at Iron Hill is too difficult an up and down from if you find yourself there.

a rollaway off a root is not really a bad drive or approach imo...then being behind a wall of trees with an elevation change to the basket...to me is just too much at Renny

How can you leave "The Monster at Fighting Creek" off of the list of monsters? Yes it has been unplayable because of tall grass but now that it has been cut it is looking great. There are some wooded holes that are tough but the rough is not bad. The hardest part of the course are the open holes. These holes have 60-70ft wide fairways that are as long as 1080ft(#5). There is much elevation. What makes this course so difficult is the thick rough that lines the fairways. A pitch out is the best option in most cases. I recently shot a 76 and 77 at Iron Hill and stunk the Monster up in a tournament yesterday with a 79. It was the low score on my card that had other scores in the 80's and 90s. The course record 68 was beaten with a 67 in yesterday's tournament. If anyone is in the Powhatan, Va area they should take the opportunity to give this course a try. It's 10,000ft in length and the toughest course I know of in Va.

The monster at fighting creek from the purple tees is indeed a beast that is probably the greatest test of distance driver line accuracy out there. And I've played the beasts on this list.

That course demands driver shots off the tee but punishes any excessive fade or turn

It's funny that the front 12 are called open

How have those ending wooded holes turned out my goodness they were tough n tight back in the beginning when I played it lol

One of the main questions I have is, will the touring Pros hit 3 or 4 of these courses in a row? Three of them did 2 back to back. Will more, less or none do 3+ back to back to back.

A better question i whether having 3 A Tiers in that region in such a short period of time will price the locals (on whom much of the touring players $ is dependent) out of one or 2 of them. The MADC has tried this repeatedly in September over the years with thus far poor results. IMO you guys would be much better off spreading these things out- who cares if the touring guys come and take the money out of town with them?