• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Removing paint from a disc (and neat PIAS find!)

troyk

Went to PIAS to see if they had any jolly launcher teebirds but found an 11x champ teebird instead! For an affordable price!

Just one issue. It's caked in orange spray paint on front and back. I can scrape it off with my fingernail but to do that for the whole disc is a tedious process and requires lots of care around the stamp.

Anyone got tips? I've got it soaking in some hot water (from the tap) at the moment.

Also, anyone know the differences between CAL and non-CAL molding for these?

Attachments

• Photo Jul 03, 7 27 51 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 03, 7 27 51 PM.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Photo Jul 03, 7 26 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 03, 7 26 28 PM.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Photo Jul 03, 7 26 36 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 03, 7 26 36 PM.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 100
I tried acetone on the back but it couldn't eat through the paint. It's probably got an extra gram of weight from the paint. A magic eraser works better than my fingernails but still requires a lot of scrubbing action.

I don't think you'd be ble to get paint off the stamp to save it. I'd probably do the above also, just wipe it all with acetone.

here's the way to do it, spit and a tennis ball. just rub it out using the tennis ball and elbow grease. it'll take a while but it works.

Good idea, my dog's even got a few spare ones lying around, but while I was waiting for ideas I went ahead and scraped it off with my fingernail. I've got a majority of it off and the remaining areas have a thin enough layer of paint that acetone will take it off. I'll show you guys once I finish up.

I'm glad it didn't come to that since I'm done now!:popcorn: I prefer throwing discs to donuts anyways.

I went easy around the stamp and decided to leave most of it intact since the paint in those areas wasn't very thick.

Turned out to be a nice iDye with a yellow sun with rays in the center on a red sky. :thmbup:

edit: whoops forgot the pics

Attachments

• Photo Jul 03, 10 25 07 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 03, 10 25 07 PM.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Photo Jul 03, 10 25 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 03, 10 25 20 PM.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Photo Jul 03, 10 27 20 PM.jpg
    Photo Jul 03, 10 27 20 PM.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 92
Why would anyone spray paint a disc????

Glad it turned out well, I'd have given it a rub down or a small bath with some Xylene.

Green/yellow scotch pad with hot water and dish soap. It will take time, and pressure with the pad, but it should all come off

if the paint is really bad use a brillo pad. I used a brillo pad on my Ontario roc. I got about 90% of it. This was after acetone treatment. I to purchased it form PIAS. Regarding rules I doubt they would call you for having paint on your disc unless they spooned with them the night before.

most likely found the disc called them and said i am keeping your disc then painted it so they could cover up the ink.

Latest posts