• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Replacing dx Thunderbird

Fgfg

I recently lost my dx thunderbird which has been my favorite fairway/control driver. It started as overstable as my fd3 but slowly beat to a really straight disc with great glide and just a little fade. It was also the best feeling disc in the hand I have had. It was flat and grippy and really comfortable to throw both backhand and forehand. On average I think I threw it about 330 feet.

Should I get another dx thunderbird and wait for it to wear out or is there something similar out of the box to what I described?

An Undertaker might be a decent replacement for a beat DX Thunderbird.
There are various plastics to choose from and PLH is always a factor in determining final stability.

But I agree with tylerc... a DX ThB is probably a better replacement. Buy two and use them both. Maybe use one of them less so that it stays overstable-ish for those OS needs. That way if you lose one then you have a head start on the replacement.

I don't think the current run DX Thunderbirds are like the first run. The plastic blend is softer and less tacky. They fly less OS as well

I don't think the current run DX Thunderbirds are like the first run. The plastic blend is softer and less tacky. They fly less OS as well

I have a small stack of the first run if anyone is interested.

I'm a big fan of the Getaway in the Thunderbird slot. If you grab a mid-160's Biofuzion Getaway, that will season in quickly and hold at a very useful stability.
My year-old Biofuzion Getaway flies 9/5/-2/2 for me.
A fresh Biofuzion flies 9/5/-0.5/3.
A fresh Fuzion flies 9/5/0/3.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the discs you guys suggested. If I found something similar enough to my dx thunderbird that doesn't need much breaking in it would be faster to replace if lost again. But I might just have to go with another dx thunderbird because the plastic felt so good.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the discs you guys suggested. If I found something similar enough to my dx thunderbird that doesn't need much breaking in it would be faster to replace if lost again. But I might just have to go with another dx thunderbird because the plastic felt so good.

cycle dx.

If your DX Thunderbird was from the first run with the really flat profile and the stiff, grippy blend of very unusual DX then you wont be able to find them in the store anymore. That plastic was a one-off kind of thing. I havent seen that blend in any other Innova products

If your DX Thunderbird was from the first run with the really flat profile and the stiff, grippy blend of very unusual DX then you wont be able to find them in the store anymore. That plastic was a one-off kind of thing. I havent seen that blend in any other Innova products

Yea I think it is that. I haven't seen similar plastic anywhere. The last time I checked the store I bought it from still had them in that same plastic. If that's the case I might have to buy all the remaining ones :D

Yea I think it is that. I haven't seen similar plastic anywhere. The last time I checked the store I bought it from still had them in that same plastic. If that's the case I might have to buy all the remaining ones :D

That was the best blend of DX I have ever felt/thrown. But don't let the fact that it is unavailable deter you from buying more DX Thunderbirds. The current blend is still very good, and although not as flat or stiff, they are still stable to start and hold up well. I have two of the newer engraved ones that have just a slight dome, are still firm & grippy enough, and they fly great.

As many have said, when the first run of DX Thunder birds came out, the DX plastic was the best I'd ever felt. I have a DX Thundy, but I'm afraid to lose it. :eek: If your DX Thundy was one of those, you will likely not be able to replace it as far as the plastic goes.

So I recommend what someone said earlier: get a Pro Thunderbird. I have one of those, and I really like it (when my home course's baskets are in certain positions amenable to it). The Pro Thundy will beat in at a reasonable pace, and is an excellent flyer as it seasons in. I think you'll like it if you're good with Pro plastic.

Alternatively, you can get a Pro or Star Valkyrie for a 'fresh out of the box' replacement. It'll fly straight with good glide, and the Star version may be more overstable than you might expect, especially when fresh. But the Pro Thunderbird is still my $0.02 suggestion...

I have one of those guys and it's great, almost convinced me to bag it, but my thrashed Firebirds are in that sweet spot eternally.

As many have said, when the first run of DX Thunder birds came out, the DX plastic was the best I'd ever felt. I have a DX Thundy, but I'm afraid to lose it. :eek: If your DX Thundy was one of those, you will likely not be able to replace it as far as the plastic goes.

So I recommend what someone said earlier: get a Pro Thunderbird. I have one of those, and I really like it (when my home course's baskets are in certain positions amenable to it). The Pro Thundy will beat in at a reasonable pace, and is an excellent flyer as it seasons in. I think you'll like it if you're good with Pro plastic.

Alternatively, you can get a Pro or Star Valkyrie for a 'fresh out of the box' replacement. It'll fly straight with good glide, and the Star version may be more overstable than you might expect, especially when fresh. But the Pro Thunderbird is still my $0.02 suggestion...

Yep a flatter to flat top Star Valkyrie with Flatter to Flat Top being the key or a regular dome champion Viking is what I would recommend. Then you have a straighter disc right out of the box that flies dead straight. I know I use my almost flat top Star Valkyrie for the windy shots as opposed to my Champion and both are about the same weight maybe 1 gram off.

I just spent a couple rounds deciding between bagging a Thunderbird and a VIP Westside Stag. After good solid testing the Stag was a little straighter and a little longer (glide). Definitely more stable than a Valkyrie which I also bag.

Latest posts