• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

If you guys don't yet own an Armor Scale...you are missing out. Best Evo plastic I've ever held. Come this weekend, the Scale WILL be my upshot and driving putter. Count it.

Well, I did some field work with the Fossil Scale this morning and I dig it the most. Well, at least as much as my trusty Pigs and VP. In fact, I'll likely not carry Pigs anymore. And the VP is sortof a different rubbery sort of animal, but the flight is similar.

The Scale just feels so similar to Wizards that they just pair effortlessly. The problem is the Fossil plastic is nicer than any Wiz I've ever felt. But for anyone who likes consistency in the hand, and throws Wizards or other similar beaded putters (KC Aviars, I'm looking at you) these are the OS partner.

Great rangeable OS putter here. Top notch. There was no wind at 0700, but the flight tells me that this thing will hold up to even the stiffest howl.

Great work J. Excellent disc. Quite an accomplishment.

If you guys don't yet own an Armor Scale...you are missing out. Best Evo plastic I've ever held. Come this weekend, the Scale WILL be my upshot and driving putter. Count it.

Is it good enough to kick the Harp?

Just got my Tar pit scale and RFF Serpent in the mail, (like two minutes ago). So far I love the feel of the pastic's the RFF is the perfect mix of super flexable without being floppy. The Tar pit plastic maybe the best putter plastic i've ever put my hands on, i'm excited to get out and test these bad boys out!

Winner winner chicken dinner!

Ian lent me his 174g Fossil Scale and this thing rocks! Congrats on creating such an awesome mold JCass.

As a Wizard lover, this disc felt very familiar in hand. Profile is like a beefed up Wizard and the indention on the flight plate was perfectly comfortable without being too obstructive like Discraft's GT or Innova's Thumtrac.

Plastic feels awesome for a thrower. I like stiff putters across the board and in general like a little more texture on throwing putters, which this disc had both.

In terms of flight, it performs like the old staples (Rhyno,Pig, etc.). Enough overstability to challenge even the stiffest of winds. I liked that it wasn't extremely glidey which made it perfect for the placement style shots I was throwing with it.

Great way to break into the market guys. :thmbup::thmbup:

Is it good enough to kick the Harp?

Ill need more time to really tell. They are actually quite different. The Scale, specifically the Armor Scale which is my new jam, is more like the best Rhyno you've ever had. The Harp is more along the lines of a Zone. I suppose they could co-exist, but there would be some overlap for sure.

I did almost ace with the Scale today. I'm going to tack it on to the end of my Serpent review video. I banged the nubbins off the tee. The Scale is very, very precise.:thmbup:

I got an Orange Proto Scale and have only been able to play a couple of rounds with it, but have some good first impressions. I love how grippy the plastic is and it feels like a lot of the weight is in the outer part of the disc, giving it good control in the hand. Most of my work with it was on tee shots and I was impressed at how stable it was. The Scale didn't want to turn at all and faded really hard once it lost steam. One of the strangest things though was on a couple of drives where it skipped really hard. On a downhill drive it skipped over six feet in the air and probably 15-20 feet sideways, which seems strange because I expected it to stick better where it hits.

I actually would hope for and expect an OS putter to skip in the right circumstances. I love that my Rhyno skips like a FB/ Felon where my Wizards settle like a Roc(k) haha. I feel mastering the skip shot is very important.

I actually would hope for and expect an OS putter to skip in the right circumstances. I love that my Rhyno skips like a FB/ Felon where my Wizards settle like a Roc(k) haha. I feel mastering the skip shot is very important.

I just wasn't expecting it so I'll have to adjust my shot. It hit near the basket and skipped me out of putting range (because I'm a terrible putter).

Got a chance to get out and play 54 holes with both the scale and the serpent this weekend, and both will be in my bag for this tournament season. Inside the circle I was using the scale and performed wonderfully (one of my best putting days in a while). When I tend to miss putts it is usually to the right so the over-stability of the scale was exactly what I was looking for inside the circle. Every putt regardless of wind condition (and trust me it was windy) had the same consistent finish crashing into the chains. The only putts i missed were putts i missed low when i was getting used to the glide on the scale. Outside the circle i tended to switch to the serpent because it has quite a bit more glide and seemed to have an easier time getting to the basket. I was able to hit two putts outside of 50' with the serpent which is definitely a bonus for me (i don't consider myself a great putter).

Yup. The scale is officially has a permanent home in my bag. I dont try new molds often, so for me to fall dor a new disc means Ive really got something special on my hands.

My biggest question about my fossil scale was durability and break in; it has passed with flying colors. I absolutely smoked some pavement on a full power 250' spike hyzer the other day. That would have ruined most similar plastics, but with some very light sanding my scale is as good as new with no noticable loss of stability.

This thing is an absolute basket seeker on big hyzers. It just wants to park the hole every time I use it. Its only a matter of time before I get an awesome ace or crazy throw in with it. Feels inevitable

After some more play- the Fossil Scale will be my OS throwing putter, but I'm sticking with Wizards for main driving and putting duties. I like the feel of the Tar Pit plastic, but the Fossil plastic gives a cleaner release on full throws. The scale is too overstable for main putting duties for me, so I don't get much real benefit from the Tar Pit's grip. I might sub it in for driving on rainy days.

What I really want now, is a Wizard in tar pit plastic! Any chance of some Lizard stamp Wizards in Tar Pit?

Wow, people are going ape **** for these. That's great! Glad to see it.

We are tryjgntonger not our best to bring some worthwhile to the DG scene. There are a lot of flash in the pan companies and I'm determined to make RDG a lasting player in this crowded field.

It's all because DGCR and facebook golfers support the little guys. Without all the curious minds we would never have been given a chance. So for this, and so much more....THANK YOU :)

After some more rounds with the Scale I have decided that it's staying in my bag. I love how overstable it is and it always fades. I'm learning to work the skip with it an was parking drives that I don't normally get as close to. The one thing I didn't like about it is throwing it uphill. There is a basket at my course on a fairly steep incline and the Scale rolled down it three times before I was finally able to hit my putt, so I'm keeping it away from those duties.

im spreading the wealth with my proto scale.. passed it on to Streets who is a wizard nut to try out and thus far he too loves it!! .. stellar mold.. this guy will be a staple in many a bag :)

im spreading the wealth with my proto scale.. passed it on to Streets who is a wizard nut to try out and thus far he too loves it!! .. stellar mold.. this guy will be a staple in many a bag :)

Very cool. Thanks a bunch Ian!
Hopefully it passes his tests and makes the bag :)

First Run Scales are officially ran and stamping up this evening!

I'll have to float it back to you man, it is your tester after all lol. Gonna be hard though :p

Latest posts