• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Anything specific you all want to see in my review video? Will be throwing against a Wizard, Breaker and Rhyno. Let me know what you want to see and I'll make sure it gets in there!

Sounds to me like those molds are exactly what I want the Scale going head to head against. I could not look forward to your video any more!

I'll have a sale thread very soon for those of you that are dying to give the Scale a go :D

When these get approved I have a feeling I'm going to be picking up a stack. Can't wait. Bagged a Wizard for a while, bagged a Rhyno for a while, been needing to pick up some new putters.

I want to try one but not at the prices dollar disc golf auctions are pulling!

Threw my protos a bunch yesterday. Wizard throwers are going to be ditching their OS counterparts for the Scale. These things are pretty damn cool.

I just shipped out a stack to a bunch of guys. Several members on here as well. I cannot wait to get some reviews back on what you guys think :D

Just got my Scale in. This thing feels awesome!!! Do you think you'll run any in an RFF blend?

Just got my Scale in. This thing feels awesome!!! Do you think you'll run any in an RFF blend?
we plan to have a variety of flexes similar to the wizard but also one or two exclusive plastics that are only available to RDG.

The KC Pro like blend is going to be called Fossil plastic. It's an ancient plastic that feels a whole lot like a certain run of KC that folks like a lot.

I was able to throw a couple rounds at a short, very putter-only, course today. I kind of impressed myself with some of the shots I made with my proto Fossil Scale. It can handle all the OAT in the world, of which I have plenty! I was throwing straight shots with fade, straight-ish flex shots for more distance, annys and (of course) hyzers. I was most surprised by how well it did with anny shots. You can put it on a nice, hard anny and it'll keep it for most of the flight, then slowly work its way back to flat on the landing.

All this keeping in mind my 240'ish putter distance. Results may very, but it's turning out to be a much more versatile putter than I'd originally thought.

Edit - Also, the Fossil plastic is holding up really well. I've hit plenty of trees, rocks, landscaping. There are some minor dings, but no warping of the flight plate or rim.

Last edited:
I've only thrown my Proto-Scale for a day but here are a few quick thoughts I have.

I threw this disc along side a SSS Wizard and an RFF Wizard. Just holding the disc you can tell it is in the same family but is a completely distant cousin.

The thumb contour, is not very intrusive for my grip. I normally hold my thumb where the contour sits so I find it very comfortable in hand. It may be uncomfortable for someone who hold the disc closer to the rim.

The Scale held up with for forehand drives for me. Even for my bad ones that had a little oat, the stability of the disc shrugged it off.

Putting felt fluid but I did find myself aiming a little higher and to the right than I normally do as I moved further out of the circle (push putt).

The flight is very predictable and (still need more time) but I think I don't have any overlap with my MVP/Axiom putters in the bag.

I actually got to take a bunch of Scales out today for a practice round on a local course. I actually threw them with Gennataos :)

While the course doesn't feature any 300 ft. putter shots, I was able to get a well rounded opinion of what our mold can do.

Off the tee I find that the Scale is a different animal than the majority of putters on the market. While the shape is fairly conventional (thumb contour excluded), it features a hearty amount of fade. Given any height at all, the Scale wants to finish its line with a reliable, hard fade. I was able to really work some neat lines by using the Scale's fade to my advantage.
-Hyzers stay hyzer with no flip up. If you throw the Scale on a hyzer it is going to bite at your target.
-Straight rips stay straight for about 80% of its flight and the slowing phase is accompanied by a hard fade. Very much like good Rhynos or Breakers, there is a hard, glideless fade that still allows the disc to find its mark. Straight to fade lines that most stable putters (wizards, avairs, etc.) fail to hit, are made easy with the Scale.
-Turned over it will always want to fight back. I threw the Scale on some pretty hard forced anny's and it still always wanted to finish flat or left. This allowed me to throw some monster flex shots that I would never attempt with another putter mold. That said, I was able to really throw the Scale on some slight forced anny's and the stability let the disc penetrate and ride without pulling off the targeted line until line in it's finishing portion.

Another unique aspect about the Scale is that it really putts about as straight forward as you could as an overstable putter to. It will fly straight at the chains for nearly all its flight and by the very end it finishes with a hook right into the chains.

I can really see golfers that want a putter that fades hard off the tee, fights winds & feels comfortable in their hand, bagging this mold. It doesn't possess a lot of speed. Nor does it feature a zone like fade or skip. Instead, I think we at RDG have created a mold that takes what we know golfers want and put it all together into a tidy package. Now that I have some seasoning on a few of my Scales, I can very easily see people cycling these like they would most other PnA molds. That said, by bagging Scales, you don't need a different mold as your bookend beef cake. I look forward to seeing what this mold can do in premium plastic.

A few other quick hitting facts:
-The Scale flight plate is exceptionally thin. DaveMac said that is as think as the first run wizards. With that in mind, you can imagine the gyroscopic properties with nearly all the mass in the wing.
-The Fossil plastic is beating in just like old KC. Minor bruising and small abrasions are present but shape retention is very sound.
-The softer blends of Scales are coming out just a tick straighter out of the box. Instead of stopping 80% in their flight and starting to fade, the softs stretch out to about 85% before that reliable Reptile fade kicks in.

In summation: I CAN NOT WAIT for golfers to get their hands on this mold. It has been a disc that I have wanted in my bag for a long while and it has finally arrived. Thank you for reading and I hope to hear your take on how the Scale flies for you :)

And just to show that the Scale isn't flawless:
-Don't ever confuse it for a glide machine. The Scale does not possess the glide of a Wizard or Ion. It gets to the target through a slow lumbering flight and finishes hard. You won't be winning any D contests with the Scale.
-Low power players may find it hard to get moving. If you don't give the Scale enough to get it moving, it will punish you. While it is supremely reliable for short range shots; you can underthrow it and find yourself left of your mark (RHBH)
-it is a pretty compact feeling disc. While the nose is large, the flight plate quickly drops to flat and some people may not like the relatively shallow feel.
-It is beaded. Again I'm a bead guy, but some folks may not enjoy a big bead on their putter.

Overall I love the Scale and I urge you to give one a whirl ;)

How can people get one? I like messing with putters drives. good choice over the mid for a first disc!

We plan to get our website loaded up in the near future. We just want to make sure that the proto blends don't break or beat up in a manner that we didn't intend. All signs point to the mold being sound for a production run.

These guys sponsored an event I'm running and are sending a few of the scales for people to try out. Great idea, much props.

That fossil plastic sounds so money dude. Sign me up for a beefier wizard in vintage KC pro all day everyday!

Latest posts