• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

When might we, if ever, see truly stiff and chalky runs again? Like the very first Scales?

I have a couple early scales, one of them is like Bone, legit so rock hard its crazy. Even if it hits brick it just chisels off and shows barely any damage. Thing is a Rock....:thmbup::popcorn:

When might we, if ever, see truly stiff and chalky runs again? Like the very first Scales?

The current run of Fossil is pretty good. Plastic complexion is good but they could be a touch more firm

I am throwing an old pink Fuel Scale as my Go To. It's still a beefcake after many many rounds.

Indispensable disc for Wizard throwers, IMO. I use my beat one so so much. In fact, a freshy has gone in my bag for the winter as my beater (two solid years use) has taken over just about every stable/OS Wizard shot.

I'm in early days with mine, but it seems like it'll be a better compliment to my wizards than the rhyno.

I'm in early days with mine, but it seems like it'll be a better compliment to my wizards than the rhyno.

It is. Rhyno is to big bead Aviar as Scale is to Wizard.

Scales and Wizards are better than Rhynos and Aviars. Science.

I'm technically a pro ($31 in career winnings!) and I'm throwing the scale/wiz combo. Somehow I doubt that was what you were hoping for.

Indispensable disc for Wizard throwers, IMO. I use my beat one so so much. In fact, a freshy has gone in my bag for the winter as my beater (two solid years use) has taken over just about every stable/OS Wizard shot.

So you use Scales, Wizards, and Harps don't you? I remember you looking for a beat up Harp..
Anyway, I have Scales ready to throw, but I never thought I would bag them because I have a cycle of driving Wizards and a couple Harps.. do you find that the Scale still fits in to your bag?

So you use Scales, Wizards, and Harps don't you? I remember you looking for a beat up Harp..
Anyway, I have Scales ready to throw, but I never thought I would bag them because I have a cycle of driving Wizards and a couple Harps.. do you find that the Scale still fits in to your bag?

All three fit in my bag. And I don't prefer to carry lots of molds.

Scales are just overstable, glideless Wizards. I think of them as part of a Wizard cycle. My beat Scale is just about the stability of a fresh Wizard, but shorter and more resistant to turn in the wind. If I have an approach my first choice is a Scale, if the line allows. I probably only use them inside about 150' or so for straight, annies I want to pan out, hyzers--just everything if I can see the line for it. My most trusted approach disc (and wind putter).

Wizards for putting and throwing straighter, longer lines. Especially lines requiring touch and glide. I'll throw them for 10' out to 225' or so, especially for sweeping hyzers, dead straight shots and turnovers. I don't like to really mash on Wizards -- they have a tendency to flip up, glide out, and skip.

Harps I tend to throw more like mini-Rocs -- they are for lower line putter shots, full power drives, and hyzers. I tend to think of them as part of my Roc cycle. My beat Harp goes straight with almost no fade, and can hold anny. My fresh Harp holds hyzer in almost any condition. I throw Harps when I want to MASH on a either a Wizard or a Roc but don't want it to glide out or flip up. I'll throw these between 150' and 250' or so. I probably could just use a Champ Roc for most of these shots, but I like the flat profile and the BT Hard is just such great baseline.

I really prefer all my putters and mids in stiff baseline. Champ Rocs being the only exception.

Last edited:
I unearthed a stack of old school, original fossil scales - this is the real good fossil for those that remember the original runs done to kick things off for RDG!

They all have the sweet Dom Clark Lotus Mandala stamp.

I have 9 at 175g and 3 at 174g

$15 each or 2 for $28 shipped with tracking.

Grab a few before they disappear again.

Attachments

• 27661736_10155440265809117_551814493_n.jpg
    27661736_10155440265809117_551814493_n.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 25
I'm just interested in trying one, is there a consensus that they are they not as good as fossil?

Latest posts