• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Reptilian Disc Golf's Fossil Plastic: Reviews, Thoughts, Criticisms, Etc.

Have You Felt Fossil Plastic?

• YES!

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • No but I plan to try it out.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • No interest in trying out a new baseline plastic...

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • What's Fossil Plastic...?

Votes: 14 18.4%

• Total voters

jcassidy1990

Reptilian Disc Golf
Hey DGCR!
As always, thank you for the support in the growth of Reptilian Disc Golf. We have some really neat things planned for this year as we try to build a core of solid molds for people to choose from. We plan on doing some sales flyers & review portions of our website in the near future and I was hoping to get some thoughts from you guys on our Fossil Plastic.

Our goal with Fossil was to recreate the pro plastic of yesteryear. It is coming out very consistent and I hope to make all of our putters and future mids available in this plastic.

Feel free to give me a short blurb, a story, bullet pro's & con's, or whatever else you feel would help me in the pursuit of a "publishable review" on Fossil Plastic!

On a side note, we are about to run Fossil Serpents and I'm very excited :D
The few proto shots of Fossil Serps we did when we first got the mold were excellent feeling and flying discs.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Fossil 3.jpg
    Fossil 3.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4446.jpg
    IMG_4446.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 84
I would say that if your goal was to make the plastic feel like 10X / early 11X KC Pro, you did a great job. I used to throw KC Pro Aviars during that timeframe, and this feels closer than anything since IMO. It's got a nice solid, grippy feel and I think it will stand up to abuse pretty well. I've only gotten to throw 3 rounds with my Fossil Scale but I really like it so far. The real test will be what it's like after a season of abuse.

I would say that if your goal was to make the plastic feel like 10X / early 11X KC Pro, you did a great job. I used to throw KC Pro Aviars during that timeframe, and this feels closer than anything since IMO. It's got a nice solid, grippy feel and I think it will stand up to abuse pretty well.

This. Fossil is absolutely fantastic plastic. I can't rave about it enough. Durability wise it seems to be holding up great. Shows cosmetic wear easily but doesn't seem to alter the flight characteristics at all. Ive smashed my scale onto pavement twice now on a shot that will road rash ANY plastic. it looks like garbage but flies the same.

Amazing plastic. Feels like the best of older KC. Velvety and tacky. Great grip in wet Oregon winter weather. I'm in love with the Fossil Scale and won't be playing without one in my bag anytime soon.

Best pro feeling plastic I've felt so far.

I never really liked the slick feeling white kc pro plastic, but this beats it by far.

I did a pretty in depth review video of the Scale and Serpent for Hucking Aces, and have been pretty vocal in my support for RDG and especially Fossil and Armor plastic on here and elsewhere. So instead of a long winded review as I have already done, Ill give a few Pros and Cons:

PROS
-Perfect grip, not chalky but enough tactile sensation that it will grip in all conditions
-Stiff without being stupid about it, the rim straight up catches chain
-Molds up FLAT which is ideal for the Scale, making it beeftastic and great to throw
-Durability is well above baseline, matches Pro and like plastics. Damage does not effect flight as much as one would think...Scale is still nice and overstable
-doesn't change feel too much in alternating weather conditions, I.e. heat doesn't make it too floppy and cold doesn't make it rock hard
-the stiffness and tactile feel make it ideal for discs with a super thin flight plate like the Scale and Serpent

CONS
-Takes cosmetic damage pretty easily. Its more "bruising" then chipping or dinging
-Impossible to keep clean. I gave away my tester Scale as part of the HA video, and even after several washes and some serious elbow grease, it was still irrevocably stained. Stamp remained intact, however
-the smell! Keep in mind, mine was an early run literally hot off the press, but my fossil Scale stunk to high heaven. I'm sure future runs will not have this issue.

All in all, as I've told RDG, they captured lightning in a bottle with Fossil plastic. I won't spill the beans on future plans, but if you're a serious player you will want the new RDG mids in your bag, and you will want them in Fossil plastic.

I did a pretty in depth review video of the Scale and Serpent for Hucking Aces, and have been pretty vocal in my support for RDG and especially Fossil and Armor plastic on here and elsewhere. So instead of a long winded review as I have already done, Ill give a few Pros and Cons:

PROS
-Perfect grip, not chalky but enough tactile sensation that it will grip in all conditions
-Stiff without being stupid about it, the rim straight up catches chain
-Molds up FLAT which is ideal for the Scale, making it beeftastic and great to throw
-Durability is well above baseline, matches Pro and like plastics. Damage does not effect flight as much as one would think...Scale is still nice and overstable
-doesn't change feel too much in alternating weather conditions, I.e. heat doesn't make it too floppy and cold doesn't make it rock hard
-the stiffness and tactile feel make it ideal for discs with a super thin flight plate like the Scale and Serpent
All of these sound great!
CONS
-Takes cosmetic damage pretty easily. Its more "bruising" then chipping or dinging Who cares, it's baseline.
-Impossible to keep clean. I gave away my tester Scale as part of the HA video, and even after several washes and some serious elbow grease, it was still irrevocably stained. Stamp remained intact, however Again, who cares. This doesn't sound like it affects performance, and pro/baseline doesn't dye well anyway.
-the smell! Keep in mind, mine was an early run literally hot off the press, but my fossil Scale stunk to high heaven. I'm sure future runs will not have this issue. Only relevant if they do stink. If they do this is a deal-breaker.

All in all, as I've told RDG, they captured lightning in a bottle with Fossil plastic. I won't spill the beans on future plans, but if you're a serious player you will want the new RDG mids in your bag, and you will want them in Fossil plastic.
I voted that I wouldn't try another baseline, but you've got me intrigued. If I stumble across them somewhere I may try one. Unfortunately I know my local retailer has no plans to get them, and I'm not intrigued enough to buy online. Maybe the Throw Shop in Ann Arbor will have some when I roll through there next spring...

So interested in this plastic... Out of the available RDG molds I feel the Serpent is totally the disc I want to try in Fossil. I love PA4s, but the plastic is garbage. To have a beefier Magic like flight in KC Pro style plastic? Yp!

I will do terrible things for Wizards in this plastic. A MUST HAVE Gateway x RDG collab waiting to happen.

So interested in this plastic... Out of the available RDG molds I feel the Serpent is totally the disc I want to try in Fossil. I love PA4s, but the plastic is garbage. To have a beefier Magic like flight in KC Pro style plastic? Yp!

I will do terrible things for Wizards in this plastic. A MUST HAVE Gateway x RDG collab waiting to happen.

I don't know if a beefier Magic is a good way to describe the Serpent. Yes, it's based on the Magic wing but it flies nothing like a Magic. Way more stable and noticeably less glide. I'd compare it to a Discmania P2 more than anything.

I don't know if a beefier Magic is a good way to describe the Serpent. Yes, it's based on the Magic wing but it flies nothing like a Magic. Way more stable and noticeably less glide. I'd compare it to a Discmania P2 more than anything.

I would agree here. It has very little turn and even fades off a decent amount out of the box. The shape has a lot of Magic likeness but it is really a line drive flyer. That said, I have beat my Eraser proto into a a killer hyzer flipper.

I agree, baring a massive head wind, your not going to see a lot of turn out of the Serpent on a flat release. The Serpent, and Scale for that matter, may share gateway parts, but they are truly their own Reptile's.

Amen brother. I would really like to try the serpent, the problem is that I made a decision to move away from beadless putters a while ago and am trying to stick with my guns for now and see if I can make it work without my aviars. I'd love to have a beaded Fossil putter that is more manageable for putting and longer drives then the Scale.

I agree with everything AndyJB said, aside from the smell part. My scale was from the proto run but I got it a few weeks after the testers did. No smell at all

Oh and as I said on facebook: If RDG can put out an even remotely passable Rancho Roc clone in Fossil plastic they win all of my money. Game freaking over.

Amen brother. I would really like to try the serpent, the problem is that I made a decision to move away from beadless putters a while ago and am trying to stick with my guns for now and see if I can make it work without my aviars. I'd love to have a beaded Fossil putter that is more manageable for putting and longer drives then the Scale.

I agree with everything AndyJB said, aside from the smell part. My scale was from the proto run but I got it a few weeks after the testers did. No smell at all

We always have the Voodoo bottom that I think could create a REALLY good flying disc. But at this point we haven't tested it yet. Likely will save that for next winter when things get way slowed down at the shop. I've also considered looking into building a new bottom that is more of an understable, yet still beaded design. I think our top is really going to prevent any mold from having a lot of turn just because it is so good at what it does.

As for a Rancho Roc replacement...I too would kill for this. I think the first move is going to be to test the current Gateway molds in Fossil to see how they react to that firm of a plastic. If the durability tests pass, we are 100% going to do some retooling of the molds to make the bead bigger & possibly rebuild the mid core to make it a standard inner rim. But that is also a bit down the line.

Oh and as I said on facebook: If RDG can put out an even remotely passable Rancho Roc clone in Fossil plastic they win all of my money. Game freaking over.

As for a Rancho Roc replacement...I too would kill for this. I think the first move is going to be to test the current Gateway molds in Fossil to see how they react to that firm of a plastic. If the durability tests pass, we are 100% going to do some retooling of the molds to make the bead bigger & possibly rebuild the mid core to make it a standard inner rim. But that is also a bit down the line.

I haven't seen any RDG discs yet around here, but the Fossil plastic sounds sweet. I always drooled at the idea of Rocs in Gateway plastic but if people here are saying it's even better than average Gateway plastic then it's probably some really nice plastic. If you will produce a Roc-like midrange at some point I'm very intrigued to try it out.
I would love to try Wizards in Fossil plastic as well.

I have a Scale in the Mail! I saw one on the course and tried it out, its a lot like my Pa3, but a lil thicker and I liked the small/shallow thumbtrack. I cant wait to try it out

Fossil is my favorite plastic. Velvety texture, great grip and feel of good SSS without being overly loose in the flight plate. I have two SSS wizards that were my favorite plastics ever. Fossil changed that. I will try any disc released in this plastic. I would kill for teebirds and leopards in this plastic. Would be perfect for cycling those two discs. Hell, if my beloved Valkyries came in this it would be the only distance driver I carried.

My comparison to a beefy Magic, which is how the PA4 flies. Has fade when new at approach distances, and is a laser beam for sure. Serpent seems way closer to PA4. Regardless I was wanting one to beat in to be flippier/ hyzer flip ready anyway.

I'd really like to try both of these discs especially in Fossil and Tar Pit but I havnent actually bought discs in a bit.

Also, any plans to do a full foil Scale?

Latest posts