• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Returning to play from shoulder surgery

Halibut Skies

Bogey Member
...among other things. Over the last year+ I've sustained numerous injuries, the most pertinent being a broken right wrist, the one I throw with; tennis elbow and Tendinitis; and shoulder surgery to repair a torn Labrum. The shoulder surgery isn't exactly related to disc golf, it tore initially in highschool when I played baseball, then another time when rock climbing, and it'd been bothering me during disc (subluxation - partial dislocation).

Now, 4.5 months out of surgery, done with physical therapy, working with a Pilates trainer, I'm back to [at least] thinking about playing. More than anything, while things continue to strengthen and heal, I'd like to practice putting. Luckily by buddy has a basket that he was able to lend me, and I've got a decent stack of putters. Back to this in a moment.

Saw the surgeon last week for a final evaluation. He gave me the go ahead to play disc as long as I take it easy. So, that same day, I threw 40+ putts on the practice basket and hit up a local park to play a round. Maybe.

I brought the following:

3 Putters - 170g OG Wizard, 172g evo-proline Wizard, 174g SSS Wizard
4 Mids - 173g X Comet, 174g Z Buzzz, 175g Z Buzzz SS, 172g Glide

I played at Aquatic Park, in Berkeley, CA - lots of water on the front 9. I skipped the first hole, not willing to throw on such a risky water hole, especially due to hesitancy having not thrown in so long. (What are my abilities?)

Second hole, I throw the Comet. Not precisely where I wanted to put it - hit an early tree and my disc lands maybe 35 feet from the pad. No biggie, not flustered. Finish out the hole, 2 over. On the next hole, or maybe it was the one after, we are throwing again over water. The Z Buzzz is the most over stable disc I brought, and my only chance of sticking a landing, so I go for it. Nice flight, but not enough hyzer on release. Into the water it goes. Too far from shore to fish it out. Not a big deal.

Keep playing. Find the Comet to be my go-to. My mentality was, before playing, that I should bring discs with low power requirements and relatively low weights to maximize my ability to keep up with everyone else. Also, to learn the ropes. I'm still new to the game, as I've only been into it for a year, and have been injured throughout most of that time, unable to play either at all, or gravely handicapped.

So, it was nice to find that I could put the Comet on a nice straight line. Annhyzers were nice and pretty, too. Never once completely turned it over. I don't think I ever put it past 180ft though, at most.

The Buzzz SS felt cumbersome in my hands and I only threw it once or twice. I could not match the glide I was achieving with the Comet. The Glide I threw twice, both throws nice and straight, one a slight drift right, as intended. I don't know whether I was able to throw it past the Comet, but perhaps on a slightly lower line, which has its advantages.

The putters I threw quite a bit. Had some very accurate approaches and maybe 4 decent putts. The first few putts were garbage, missing the basket entirely sometimes, from 15ft in, but still, I kept my cool and pressed on.

I really like the Wizards. They feel great in my hands and I know what I can do with them. Drives and approaches even more than putts.

I think I stopped after the 15th hole as it was dark and I didn't want to over do anything. In total I threw 13 holes I believe. Felt fine going home. Not great, but no particular pain.

The following day and on I'm experiencing lots of pops and cracks in there, as with the rest of my body. A little freaked out, but I talked with the Pilates instructor, who thinks it's fine so long as there is no pain associated with it. I played on Wednesday, the 22nd of Feb. I don't want to play for a little while, as the shoulder doesn't feel all that stable and I'm just not that confident yet.

So, putting then. I've got a nice stack of Wizards, which I like, but many are on the heavy side. the weights are as follows: 170, 172 (2), 174, 175 (2), 176. I have two Ions as well, both 174g, which I like, but I don't want to fiddle with them at this time. So I'm looking to pick up some lighter putters, maybe even go back to trying a few Magics. I was thinking 165-170 weights for whatever I end up choosing. Sound about right?

Also, any advice on the mids? I think the X Comet is the only one I would bring if I played again soon. But, I was a bit fatigued, even with such a low weight. The Glide is 172g, but I think I prefer the Comet. Either way, the only other mid I have that I would consider throwing, when that time comes, is this DX Shark I've got. It's 145g. I'm thinking it's just too dang light. Maybe not, but I was thinking something in the mid 160's range would be ideal.

Mids that I have/have used: Roc, Comet, Buzzz. The ones I've got are all quite heavy nearing max weight, if not.

I'm open to any brands and/or suggestions for discs, weights, and rehab strategies. For putting practice I've set up markers at 10, 15, and 20 feet. Mostly throwing from 10 and 15. Only did that the one time though, before the partial round last Wednesday. Once it stops raining, I'll set things up in the yard.

Thanks for your input, it is greatly valued.

Blizzard discs. Less weight, easier to throw, just about as stable as heavier weights. Get 20 grams lighter than you normally throw.

Good to hear your able to enjoy the sport again. I agree with the Bliz plastic. Make sure you ease into it and have fun.

I think a 150 teebird would be a good one to try. Light weight, but still lots of glide.

I'm trying to avoid drivers for a little while. Is that not worthwhile? I read so much on here about throwing only putters and mids until you can reach _____.

When I was 38 I had my 1st shoulder surgery. They drilled 4 holes and repaired my torn bursa sack, scraped some arthritis and lasered a ligament to tighten up the whole thing. 16 days later i won Open in a 3 round/ 1 day event at the Grange. I waited 10 days until I threw my 1st disc. They never gave me therapy.

But, when I was 43 I had another shoulder surgery and it took me 4 years to regain my strength and confidence. My rating plummeted from the 970s to the 920s. I have never had any scheduled therapy.

Every injury is different, pace yourself.

In my rehab from torn labrum surgery I wasn't concerned about the discs, but worked up the distance. Started putting 15'....20'.....25'....after 50' increased in 25' intervals.

Don't know about you, but I showed uncharacteristic restraint, and faithfulness to the rehab exercises, because I didn't ever want to do the surgery again. Nor to risk not being able to play disc golf ever again, due to a hasty return.

I had labrum/rotator cuff repair several years back.

The most important thing is that you ease back into it. It will be very tempting to throw 100% and act like all is well, but cartilage and tendons are slow to strengthen and heal. You really need to show restraint and go very easy at 1st. SLOWLY build up...not over the course of a week or two, but over the course of a few months. You need to especially watch for any movements where your arm is lifted above your shoulder. Absolutely no over the head throws for a long time.

Disc-wise, I don't think the weight of the disc matters directly. What matters is arm speed/force. So if you know to throw with less speed and force with a lighter disc, than go lightweight, but if you throw with the same force with both, then it really won't matter.

I had labrum/rotator cuff repair several years back.

The most important thing is that you ease back into it. It will be very tempting to throw 100% and act like all is well, but cartilage and tendons are slow to strengthen and heal. You really need to show restraint and go very easy at 1st. SLOWLY build up...not over the course of a week or two, but over the course of a few months. You need to especially watch for any movements where your arm is lifted above your shoulder. Absolutely no over the head throws for a long time..

EXACTLY. I just had my Left labrum repaired (currently typing this in that ridiculous Ultra Sling) and am going to have my Right shoulder repaired in the fall. I posted a similar thread about a month ago if you want some more insight from guys that have gone through what you are right now

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51881&highlight=labrum

Seriously, just take it easy. And really really take the time to stretch and warm up your shoulders before you play. Dont rush it, baby steps. Good luck man.

I will certainly take baby steps, and I am. I think I probably over did it with that one round, even though I didn't try to rip big drives, but I don't think I did any damage... God I hope not.

Putting from short distances---> moving further and further away sounds like a great way to work into it.

Thanks for the input thus far.

if it means anything, it was a Bankart Lesion and Capsulorrhaphy

Last edited:
I had tennis elbow last spring that took about 6 months to heal. Then I had surgery in throwing shoulder for a torn labrum at the end of October. I started putting 3 months in. Gently throwing at 3.5, and now I'm throwing full power backhand. Forehand hurts though, which if you think about it makes sense because that motion torques the humerus back, which is exactly the motion that aggravates the labrum... so stay away from that.

I've just let pain be my guide. I'm still weak and hurts a bit in certain movments and is prone to get sore, but I think moving and building strength promotes healing.

I've always been a weighlifter. I recalled a few years back I had a run with kettlebell training and my shoulders never felt more bulletproof. So I picked up a set of bells and I've been using those almost exclusively. Snatches, clean and press, jerks, swings, turkish get ups. side press--I don't know what it is about them, but they build amazing shoulder stability. Plus, if you snatch 70lb bells for 15 minutes straight on a regular basis, it will make you a fit boy. So far so good.

Update:

Been putting a couple times a week. I bring a tape measure with me and mark off 10, 15, and 20 feet. The 10' I do merely as a warm up. 20 in a row, if I miss one, start over until I get all 20. It's a confidence booster. Then I work at 15ft for a while, and if I'm feeling it, step up to 20. Doing pretty good, I must say. I've been altering my putting style, throw, weight transfer, grip, all of it, but I think it's working itself out. I'd prefer to have something and stick to it, but it's just not happening. I'm adapting as I go. I can however throw putts at longer distances with a remote chance of banging chains now as a result. Before, about 35 feet max for a standard "putt" style throw, anything outside of that was more of a pull across the body/short chip shot which is really a crap shoot. I took 5 or 6 throws at the basket from 45-55ft (didn't measure these exactly) and canned the second one, rimmed another. Felt nice. Some older ladies walking their dogs asked if I was training for a competition. It was neat.

Anyway, I'm playing with my bud (Masterlurk) when he comes up here in a week or so. I'll be playing nice and easy, of course, and I've been doing lots of strength training and the like. Still going to be avoiding drivers, even though I think I could wield a Leopard with great aplomb. I made a plan and I'll stick to it. I'll be bringing 3 putters: 172 evo wiz (driver, upshots), 172 organic wiz (longer putts, upshots), 174 SSS wiz (main putter); and 4 mids: 173 X Comet, 175-6 ESP Comet, 180 SM Roc, 176 12x KC Roc.

I could probably do with just the X Comet, maybe both the X and the ESP, but I want a little more stability with the rocs. Maybe I'll keep them in the bag when I play, we'll see.

YEAH!

I had a similar surgery a few years back. R shoulder was damaged twice times playing football and then rock climbing broke it for good. I had a torn labrum and rotator cuff. Within six months I was back to 5.11 climbing and disc golf. Took a year before I felt comfortable going ape on drives.

Latest posts