• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Revolutionary Spec Enhancement for Discs

"embedded/inserted"

So, in theory you mold a disc that is thicker in the middle, put a compartment in there and then the owner can put in one of several inserts such as lights, a beeper, a sensor package (just look at what smartphones contain), a camera, ...

Cool.

Whatever modifications the disc has will be made by the manufacturer.

Inserting anything post production would be against this rule:

Rule 801.02
Discs used in play must meet all of the conditions set forth in the PDGA Technical Standards.

The Tech Standards state that a disc must:

(1) have a circular, saucer-like configuration, with a flight plate unbroken by perforations

(2) be made of solid, non-magnetic plastic material, without any inflatable components

(15) be essentially as produced, without any post-production modifications that affect the weight or
flight characteristics.

The last way one could add an RFID or LED light could be through the use of ultrasonic welding. Much like hot-stamping the art on the disc, it would be a secondary process. I've only had experience with welding acrylic and ABS, but it may still be feasible on polypropylene and polyurethane. Basically, you would place the item that you want in the disc in the center (on the underside) and place a shell/cover over the item. Place it under the welder with a horn designed specifically for the geometry of the part, and after the weld you have a hermetic, water tight seal. Obviously, this would make changing the battery impossible, unless you wanted to cut into the plastic.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Wouldn't it be possible attach the shell/cover with chemical bond, like how MVP attaches their overmold?

^^ I'm still trying to get past the idea of a disc with basically a thin mini stuck to the bottom of it. And a light inside. I just don't see it looking that great, but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe something could be incorprated into the rim, where there is thicker plastic to work with, so encapsulation would be done in the initial injection process, instead of having to post weld/bond a shell.

^^ I'm still trying to get past the idea of a disc with basically a thin mini stuck to the bottom of it. And a light inside. I just don't see it looking that great, but maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe something could be incorprated into the rim, where there is thicker plastic to work with, so encapsulation would be done in the initial injection process, instead of having to post weld/bond a shell.

I was thinking it would only need to be about the size of a Gatorade bottle cap, and not as deep.

Maybe you're right, it might be smaller. And it couldn't be as deep because the rim cannot exceed 1.0cm in total thickness at any point.

The "shell" would have to be:

(i) is circular in outline;
(ii) is between 5 and 10 cm in diameter that is centered on
the center point of the disc;

I don't have a Gatorade cap on me, but it's probably around 5cm wide.

Either way, if that cap stuck to the bottom of a disc, it would look really weird, IMO.

I think I'm being too hasty in my judgement of how it will look. Maybe it'll be knock-your-socks-off spectacular.

Or maybe LED's won't happen at all.

(2) be made of solid, non-magnetic plastic material, without any inflatable components.*Electronic components may be embedded/inserted with none of its metal components externally exposed.*

So i read it as the plastic of the disc must me solid and non-magnetic. Can the electronic part have a neodinuim magnet? I would love to have a putter that would literally stick to the chains.

*Neodymium

If only...

That would make the Discraft Magnet a pretty cool disc to have.

Yea a disc that will talk back to you. " Hey buddy did your mom just throw me?" or "You mom threw you further than that when you were 3 years old"
I could see mabey music coming out of the thing like ring tones or sounds from classic video games like pacman.

If you were looking to provide for adding a chip/light on a disc, wouldn't it be by far the easiest route if you just molded a well (channel, cave, whatever you want to call it) on the underside of the disc flight plate?

I'm reading speculation in this thread of intra-mold chip placement or LED-studded rims, etc. Just mold a little envelope thingee on the bottom. W/a hole for the LED bulb if the mfr considers it. Then, when the disc is done you slide the chip in. Plus...you don't have to piss away the chip price on defective mold shots.

Yea a disc that will talk back to you. " Hey buddy did your mom just throw me?" or "You mom threw you further than that when you were 3 years old"
I could see mabey music coming out of the thing like ring tones or sounds from classic video games like pacman.

It needs to be in the voice of Samuel L. Jackson a la Pulp Fiction.

So what you're telling me… is that disc chargers might be FO REALZ?

Yup, but be sure to check what disc you put on what kind of disc charger; wouldn't want to put your Polecat on a Binford 7000 Power Bench (TM)...

What about weights in the rim? Maybe to off balance a disc for a tommy rather than an offsetting the rim? Or to help with a roller.

So 3 years old and not much in this kind of new age tech stuff. Are these specs even valid today? I was searching something else and came across this for a nice old bumpity!

I saw a Tobu disc demoed at the bsf earlier this year. Kind of cool, looked easy to find your disc. However, didn't seem worth switching to one of their disc models or the potential for breaking and having to replace the expensive electronics. Just seemed a little impractical for what you get out of it and the loss of durability. Mainly, I just don't think anybody wants to pay for this sort of tech in an object they regularly throw into trees or mud puddles.