• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RHBH Anhyzer skip shot?!?

clmiller2

I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't personally thrown it, but this weekend while playing in a tournament I threw a powered down DD Truth on an anhyzer line it held the anhyzer line for the duration of the flight and instead of cut rolling (what i had fully expected to happen) when it landed, I got about an 8-12 foot fan skip. Now my very basic understanding of physics tells me this should have been impossible, but it happened all the same. Can anyone tell me how in the world I happened to pull this off? And before you say something about terrain it was a relatively flat terrain with no roots sticking out of the ground.

Hahahahahahahahahaha, I saw this thread title and HAD to click in here! The legend of the Anhyzer Skip lives on.

So did i just find big foot or something? LOL

Haha, no, totally different thing with the same name. You apparently skipped a RHBH anhyzer shot.

My version of "anhyzer skip" is when I throw a RHBH hyzer but the skip goes anhyzer instead of the normal hyzer skip or flare skip.

I think yours is far more rare than mine.

I've had many putters and mids slide or skip right when finishing a long turning flight. Its just a matter of ground, landing angle/slope and speed. IMO if your anhyzer shots are cut rolling at the finish they are not being executed well.

I've had many putters and mids slide or skip right when finishing a long turning flight. Its just a matter of ground, landing angle/slope and speed. IMO if your anhyzer shots are cut rolling at the finish they are not being executed well.

Yes, ideally the disc should flatten out some before landing to eliminate the cut role, however, being a lowly rec player, I have, on occasion, tried to force too much turn and not given the disc enough air to flatten out thus causing it to land on it's edge and cut roll. Which is what "should" have happened with this shot, however it amazingly fan skipped instead which seems to be counter normal physics.

Yes, ideally the disc should flatten out some before landing to eliminate the cut role, however, being a lowly rec player, I have, on occasion, tried to force too much turn and not given the disc enough air to flatten out thus causing it to land on it's edge and cut roll. Which is what "should" have happened with this shot, however it amazingly fan skipped instead which seems to be counter normal physics.

Since i mentioned i'm a rec player, I will also state, that the release was clean with a refreshing lack of OAT.

I've seen a 100 foot skip to the right after a rhbh throw.

Power player, 500ft of power, threw a max speed gateway flippy driver. At 150 ft, it hit the ground flipping so hard, it jumped up in the air to the right. It nearly killed 3 people who were expecting a cut roller, not the craziest skip they'd ever seen.

Ive had something similar happen, but it wasnt a 'skip'. It was a jump. Like, the edge hit and instead of a roll, it caught something that wouldnt allow it to roll and instead made it pop up, but still moving L-R (RHBH anny)this is far more likely than the almost physics defying thing youre describing.

Ive had something similar happen, but it wasnt a 'skip'. It was a jump. Like, the edge hit and instead of a roll, it caught something that wouldnt allow it to roll and instead made it pop up, but still moving L-R (RHBH anny)this is far more likely than the almost physics defying thing youre describing.

This was my assumption as well, until i got up to the initial landing spot and found nothing but flat grass. It was also odd because I could clearly see the flight plate during skip/pop up. Maybe it landed on a giant insect of some sort? I have no answers and probably wouldn't have believed it had i not thrown it.

6304de93443108594f34ded3faafd035d0073e1e92a5a67b85c7e61d2b92103f.jpg

I saw a super nose up anhyzer skip once. It's really weird though because typically if a disc is nose up and anhyzer it is going to stall out so it's got to be flying at a super weird angle.

Story time:

Before playing a round with him, I'd virually met Kyle (aka DGCR CrshNburnd) on here and we decided to meet up for a casual round. Now clearly when you're first meeting somebody from the board, you're probably hoping to throw a quality round.

We have egos to stroke, etc.

We had a fairly average round - nobody embarrassing themselves, until we get to this slightly downhill shot. He rips out a low backhand that turns over and heads to the ground after about 150', at which point it cut rollers so hard in low cut grass that it does a full 180, rights itself and commences cruising backwards, rolling OB and I'm pretty sure ended up with a lie that was further away from the basket than the teebox.

Talk about an ice breaker, I think I lost control of my ability to breath I was laughing so hard.

That's the way I remember it.

Normally a cut roll happens because the forward speed of the disc and the backwards speed of the right side cancel out enough that you get a static friction reaction with the ground. If you throw with extra snap or less snap relative to your arm speed (I think less snap would increase the skip odds but I'm just spitballing here) then the speed of the contact edge relative to the ground can be enough to maintain a kinetic(sliding) interaction, resulting in the skip. I've had a few but never late in the flight like you were describing, only on intentional skips that either didn't flex over in time or hit slanted ground near the base of a tree or something.
Was there dew on the ground? What kind of plastic?

No dew on the ground, it was surprisingly dry. It was a moonshine truth. I will say i didn't not snap the disc very hard on this throw.

Latest posts