• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Right disc for shot?

how do you know what shot to pull out of your bag for the shot?:confused:
You start with a very limited number of discs and learn to make them work for all shots. After that you get discs that are a bit more specialized, but you'll know exactly why you're carrying each of those discs so which disc to throw will be obvious.

Look at the hole (trees, elevation changes, distance, turn), consider the conditions (wind, temp, etc), decide on the type of shot required, and select the disc best fitting that shot.

how do you know what shot to pull out of your bag for the shot?:confused:

Good decision making on the course is one of the toughest things I've had to learn actually. What I've learned:

1. Play Conservatively, Don't be Greedy
2. Know your Discs and what lines you can hit with each (practice, practice)
3. Don't try things that you haven't practiced a lot like OH's and Rollers (mostly I mean risky shots during events....DO try them during practice)
4. Get rid of the squirrely discs in your bag: I love Valkyries and Sidewinders (good distance) but they're a little too difficult to always predict, especially in windy conditions. I use TeeBirds and a Viking now and save the SW for turnover shots only.
5. When in doubt disc down to a mid. My DX Roc is becoming my best friend out on the course.

Go out and test fly your discs, and then make a chart that you carry in your bag, like this one. I tried to PM you this, but it said you mail box is full. You need to delete some messages:

Shotsinthebag.jpg

You use that many different discs? I Use a Nuke for all of those shots.

hows your roller game? thats what all the super ultra uber grandest masters around me throw.;)

IMO rollers suck in several ways. Mine and just the shot in general. I'm out there to throw pretty lines. As long as my game makes me happy, I'll keep playing it my way. The score doesn't matter as much as my minds record of a well executed shot. I love to watch discs sail and there's no better viewpoint that from the throwers spot. (Damn that was sappy.)

IMO rollers suck in several ways. Mine and just the shot in general. I'm out there to throw pretty lines. As long as my game makes me happy, I'll keep playing it my way. The score doesn't matter as much as my minds record of a well executed shot. I love to watch discs sail and there's no better viewpoint that from the throwers spot. (Damn that was sappy.)

I like rollers. When you hit them perfectly they are a thing of beauty.

I just started throwing an old, beat up champ valk as a roller late last year and holy moly! When I hit it right I was getting out over 400 and at times over 500.....ridiculous to watch.....so much fun when they work out....not easy to throw either

Agreed. I pinned old #9B (425 feet, fairway riddled with trees) at Seneca a few times with a forehand roller, those were some of the prettiest shots I've ever thrown. Sometimes they're even your least risk option.

That's my attitude toward the game too. My buddy will get pretty mad when his score is low, but I could be doing even worse and in good spirits because I've had some great shots.

sorry you guys hate rollers so much. I like watching the different lines they take just like an air shot. And the satisfaction of watching a well-executed roller end up exactly where you want it to is as rewarding, or maybe more so, because rollers are usually a slightly lower percentage shot.

Agreed. I pinned old #9B (425 feet, fairway riddled with trees) at Seneca a few times with a forehand roller, those were some of the prettiest shots I've ever thrown. Sometimes they're even your least risk option.

I've thrown some great rollers at seneca. It's a necessary shot there.

Our local power thrower was talking smack to me yesterday and challenged me to a throw across the field to a porta-potty. My 1st shot was about 100ft behind his and another 400+ to the target. I put a roller perfectly along the road and the wind turned it at the precise moment and put it inches from the porta-let. He threatened to break my hip. Then he weaked a teebird short and then missed his putt. Silly kids half my age don't know who they are messing with.

Experience. I like to think I paly each shot the correct way, but there are many times that when the disc leaves my hand I know that that wasn't the right shot and then I learn from that.

Hey I see we're talking rollers! I love a beautiful air shot as much as the next guy, but that still pales to learning a variety of different shots that will help you get to the basket in the fewest shots. When you can cozy right up to the basket with a roller when there's no other good shot, you will quickly come to love rollers! Having said that, I'm clueless about overhead shots, so it's back to the ole practice field for meh...

Latest posts