• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner Rundown

FightingTheTide

Birdie Member
I haven't seen any recent threads on these. What lines do you throw Roadrunners on? Which plastics?

I have a 171 Echo Star Roadrunner that flies true to the numbers. It bombs on hyzerflip to turnover lines.

I'm trying to find some RR's that are closer to stable (straight). Are glows or recent runs of Champ more along these lines? Are Glows too slick by any chance?

For reference, I'm throwing 400' max on a good day.

I've got a 175 glow champ RR that is way more stable than I was expecting. It's a very straight driver when thrown at about 80% power.

I have a Star Roadrunner, one of the first discs I bought. I have it in my windy weather bag for tailwind shots. It also has done a very nice job for me for roller duty as I learn how to do those. Right now, however, the Gold Line Fury is in my core bag ahead of the Roadrunner, but the Roadrunner is a good disc.

Roadrunners are great for rollers and situational shots. I use them for tunnel shots, low ceilings and stand stills. All around fun discs to throw.

How far were you throwing? And how does that plastic feel?

I throw about 390-400' max, I was hoping this would be an US complement to my PD's for shots in the 350-370' range. I mostly tried it out on 350ish L-R dogleg holes where I wanted a big turnover. It was way too stable for that. Way too stable for rollers too. In the field it was basically the same as a Krait for me.

The plastic is pretty typical for champion glow IMO, it has a slightly slick feel when new but wears into a nice grippy feel. More flexible than your typical champion at max weight.

Why would you want a straight Roadrunner when there are a ton of other options for that..

I use a Starlite Roadrunner for longer DX TeeBird type shots. Mine is probrably a little more touchy than a heavier Champion Roadrunner, but it's great for those slower control shots in the woods. I'm always looking for an excuse to throw it.

I used a 167g star as one of my first drivers when I started and got hooked. I have since replaced it with a max weight star and use for US driver slot and rollers. Probably will always keep a roadrunner in the bag.

I like soft, flat star roadrunners. They seem to have the best understable flight of any driver off the tee for me. I have occasionally thrown longer annys with a gstar tern, but they won't fly as consistent. Its also the fastest disc I can throw standing still and get controlled flights out of, great for flicks and backhands with limited power.

Why would you want a straight Roadrunner when there are a ton of other options for that..

A few reasons. Because they exist. Because I'm looking for a flight pattern that flips up from hyzer, gently turns over, and glides forward without much fade (my type of max D shot). And because I'm somewhat of a mold minimalist.

Flat, stiff Stars are usually pretty stable.

Otherwise you could try out an S-TD.

Thanks! And yeah, TD's have always been an option, though I want to find a similar flight with less fade. My old shield stamp S PD is breaking in to "TD" flight and if I ever lost it I know exactly how I would replace it.

When you guys say stiff, flat Star RR's are you referring to older PFN runs? Or do some current champystar runs come out like that too?

Also, are current champs in Jolly Launcher? I heard the JL Sidewinders are somewhat beefy. Hoping the same would be true for RR's.

I got an old stiff flat Star RR with patent numbers and flight numbers that is pretty stable. Definitely more stable than the flight numbers indicate, it's stability is similar to an s-line FD

i have a 171 JL champ RR that is very stable and has very little to no High Speed turn unless thrown on anny. Its flight reminds me of fresh DX teebird.

My max weight Star Roadrunner is the most stable of my RRs. I have a champ glow, i cant remember what it was when new, but now that its used and worked in beautifully its a hyzerflip machine.

I suggest a Sidewinder if you really want a more stable version of this disc. basically thats what it is.

I use the RR for sharp turnovers, Tomahawk shots (best disc for it) Low ceiling shots, Anhyzers that wont quit. I love the RR, still one of my most trusted discs

I have used RR's in the past for standing shots when I do not have a lot of space to get momentum. They fit this bill very nicely for dialed down 60-70% shots. I ended up cutting them after I got a Valk and Core worn in to do the same job.

Love the RR. I have two in star 167 and 171. Fly very similary. Good for strait hyper flips, flat release with turn for lot of D, or anny rlease depending on what the shot allows.

For my arm(250-300 honest golf d-maybe even 350 on the internet) the RR is really controllable and I've been using them for just about anything that is far but doesn't want to to finish left (right thrower).

I would have to force it over to throw a roller, probably about the same motion for me to roll my beat teebird or my beast. It would roll differently but it's not flip city.

Great disc- goes far.

Last edited:
I'm using 2 current run, two color stamp Star RRs. Both around 167-170g. One's been bagged a while and is my roller disc and is still good for air shots with enough hyzer (~370'). The other is newer and is my go to when I need something less stable than a seasoned PPD. I throw it BH and FH on hyzer flips.

Latest posts