• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roadrunner Vs Katana

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I love my Roadrunner, but I wonder if I could get more distance in turnover with a Katana. Any ideas?

Have you ever thrown a monarch? For me (max drives around 350', accurate distance of about 325') the pro katana I have flies like a faster monarch.

i just got a champ katana, it wont turn over, i can look at a road runner and it will turn over

Have you ever thrown a monarch? For me (max drives around 350', accurate distance of about 325') the pro katana I have flies like a faster monarch.

I second that. The only difference is im throwing a star katana that started out a little overstable and has beaten in very nicely to be a hyzer-flip disc.

I have not thrown the Katana, but most faster discs are harder to turn over for mere mortals like myself. I could be wrong about that in this case because like I said I have not thrown the Katana. I love my Roadrunner though.

Midnight, I do think you would get some more distance out of a Katana. It is, however, considerably more overstable (@ least the champ & Star versions) than a Roadrunner. I have both a 2010 Worlds Star Katana & a Pro Katana. The Pro Katana is much easier to throw (less overstable). It also does seem as if the Pro Katana's are a slightly different plastic blend than most other Innove Pro discs I've come across. They are grippy, yet feel more durable than other Pro plastic... almost like a blend between Pro & Star plastic. They do both have a considerable amount of low speed fade & a TON of skip if the disc hits the ground on a hyzer line... which can be both a good & bad thing depending on the hole your playin'.

I have a pretty flippy Star Destroyer that I can throw well & far, yet the Katana outdrives it almost every time on, what I consider, a "worse" pull w/ less snap. The Katana is FAST & a fun disc to toss :)

I'll jump in line to say that the Katana is not turning for me yet. My champ roadrunner turns long and strong, as does my star sidewinder. I say get the Katana and have fun with it, but don't expect it to be like your roadrunner until it beats in.

if you want flippy, get a lighter pro or star katana. my champ katana flies more like a boss. beating in SLOW too.:mad:

If you're shopping for a high speed driver that you can turn over, it's generally a bad idea to buy it in Champion plastic. That's kind of like buying a high performance sports car and then jacking up the suspension and putting big balloon tires on it. Well not totally the same, but in both cases it's "accessorizing" a product to do the opposite of the design purpose. I don't honestly see why Innova thinks there is a market for the Katana in Champion plastic. Go with Pro if you want it to act like a Roadrunner.

I live off a Roadrunner (I throw Roadrunners like it was my job)and The Katana I have is great, but tails off far more than my RR, I find the RR much more consistant.

is someone beating in a katana for me?

I have 165g Star Katana and I've been loving it. When released from flat it always ends up on the right side of the fairway, about 50ft further than my Wraith. Worst case I don't give it enough of a huk and it flys very similar to my Wraith.

huh

The Katana and Roadrunner are nothing alike.

The beat in katana flies like a beat in wraith (or boss) in the first 2/3 of its flight. In the second 1/3, where the wraith or boss fades, the katana continues. When it finally runs out of gas it always fades back almost straight ahead.

The Katana is too straight to really be considered a turnover disc. Unless you have tons of space and BOMB it, and for some reason didnt throw a hyzer flip.

I love my Roadrunner, but I wonder if I could get more distance in turnover with a Katana. Any ideas?

Go with the Monarch for a longer "roadrunner flight". the Katana flight is nothing like a roadrunner. Not for me anyways. You're gonna get the fade at the end of the Katana. When I toss my RR, it never fades back. 90% of the time, it looks like someone flicked it or LHBHed it off the t-box...MAGIC!!! The Katana is a hell of a lot str8er.

And yes...the Katana is way to inconsistant...I took it outa my bag. I honestly have done better with my Groove.