• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roads treated as OB water hazards.

If the disc hits and bounces off the far curb verticle but stays OB, do you mark your lie 1 meter from the far curb or the near curb?

Here Ill help ya

Course rules are posted that if your disc lands in the road and is not supported by the curb, it is OB. If any part of your disc is supported by the curb, it is not fully OB and the 1 meter rule can be applied.

^^^this. course rules. any part of the disc supported. means curb is IB. once your disc crosses OB and hits anything IB. (tree,rock,curb,person) you take the drop from last place IB

Now where in his question does it ever say his disc was supported by the curb. The verticle line is inbetween the OB and the "supporting curb"

It doesnt. but in the rules the curb is IB. therefore it is the same as any other object IB and if your disc hits it then that is the last place it was IB and you would take the drop from there. Same thing as if it hit a limb on a tree that was IB and dropped backward into the road.

Read the rulebook or go back and read Brads post

His course rules supersede the rule book. how confusing is that?? the road is ob. so the end of the road before the curb is out. the curb is in.

Go "support" your disc on that verticle wall

Its not about the support. its the fact that the entire curb is IB on his course. most courses I play the curb is out. so then u would be right. but this course is not the case.

The curb itself is in bounds I give you that. But you have to cross the verticle line of the start of the curb for it to be in bounds(because the line itself is OB). It has nothing to do with local rules or not. Doesnt get much easier then that

Course rules never say the curb itself is in. They say that a disc supported by the curb is in. That means a disc that is merely touching the curb is still out. A disc impacting the curb is never actually supported by the curb unless it comes to rest there. Thus, bounce is OB, leaner at rest is IB.

Here's a picture we can argue over. Say this is on Jrawk's course and a disc hits that far curb and bounces back.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OB line set at the red line (bottom of the curb)
OB line (no thickness) set at the blue line (top of the curb)
OB line (thickness of the curb) set at the green "line" (the whole curb)

I say

Red - take drop from far side since the disc hit something that was past the line and broke the plane.
Blue - take drop from the near side since the disc did NOT hit anything across the line and did not break the plane.
Green - take drop from the near side since the disc did hit the line itself (which itself is OB), but did not cross it, and hence did not break the plane.

The curb itself is in bounds I give you that. But you have to cross the verticle line of the start of the curb for it to be in bounds(because the line itself is OB). It has nothing to do with local rules or not. Doesnt get much easier then that

I guess i would need to see the curb. if it is a straight line up. not sloped at all then I am wrong in this example. but if the curb is curved then if the disc impacts above the surface of the road it would have touched ib.

If that curb is slanted then I agree 100% scarp. If that curb is at 90 degrees then all three situations would be OB.

Here's a picture we can argue over. Say this is on Jrawk's course and a disc hits that far curb and bounces back.

I say

Red - take drop from far side since the disc hit something that was past the line and broke the plane.
Blue - take drop from the near side since the disc did NOT hit anything across the line and did not break the plane.
Green - take drop from the near side since the disc did hit the line itself (which itself is OB), but did not cross it, and hence did not break the plane.

I think is this example the top of the curb is ib. the red line up would be the ob.if it passes the red at all it would be in.

I say

the verticle face of the curb is in bounds. If the disc is supported by the verticle (or near verticle) face of the curb when at rest, it is in bounds. i.e. "leaners" count.

My home course, Hot Shots, is built throughout an abandoned housing culdesac area. every hole's fairway is lined by a road on one side and tree line on the other, with the occasional hole playing accross the road.

Course rules are posted that if your disc lands in the road and is not supported by the curb, it is OB. If any part of your disc is supported by the curb, it is not fully OB and the 1 meter rule can be applied.

When throwing across the road, there is no course rule on how to mark your lie when your disc bounces backwards off the verticle wall of the curb and stops in the road without being supported by a curb.

Throw direction ==>

--tee pad--------near curb--|____________OB road__________|--far curb-------------- basket

..........................................Disc stops here ^

If the disc hits and bounces off the far curb verticle but stays OB, do you mark your lie 1 meter from the far curb or the near curb?

How is the curb different from the street? Is there a line between the asphalt and the concrete? Is the curb asphalt? Is the street concrete? Going by the details given, I would call any contact with the curb as IB.

This seems to be a case where the locals need to be more concise. Most courses with curbs lining the fairways typically call the curb/grass line as the OB. Much more clear that way, eliminating the "it hit the curb argument". If you have a line between the asphalt and concrete curb, that works also, but you will run into more arguments about whether or not a disc is IB.

How is the curb different from the street? Is there a line between the asphalt and the concrete? Is the curb asphalt? Is the street concrete? Going by the details given, I would call any contact with the curb as IB.

This seems to be a case where the locals need to be more concise. Most courses with curbs lining the fairways typically call the curb/grass line as the OB. Much more clear that way, eliminating the "it hit the curb argument". If you have a line between the asphalt and concrete curb, that works also, but you will run into more arguments about whether or not a disc is IB.

I agree. The curbs are in rough shape, with grass growing up from cracks in the roads and curbs itself... many places the curb has crumbled. So we've always played if the disc is supported by the road it is OB. If the curb is supporting it, but then the curb was to give way underneath it, the disc would fall so part of it is beyond the road's edge.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hotshots ob.png
    hotshots ob.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 50
Here's the original question diagrammed.... do you play from that curb the disc bounced off of or the curb not pictured.

attachment.php

Attachments

• hotshots ob 2.png
    hotshots ob 2.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 79

Latest posts