• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc-Like Driver?

Hawkmaster

I'm having a little trouble. I have a nice variety of discs, but now that I've gotten my technique better, I throw harder, and farther. So my old beat-in favorite Champion Roadrunner is now a pure gold long anhyzer disc. Problem: I don't have a "straight" driver. I have gotten a good hyzer, straight, and anhyzer down. So, I have been using my trusty DX 180 Roc out for straight drives. It flies like an arrow, but I have trouble getting past 200-220'. So my question: Is there a good driver or mid. that is similar to a "used" level Roc? For a benchmark I have a Z Stalker for stable, Z Surge for overstable, STAR TeeRex for very overstable shots. My technique is not bad with the Roc, because it flies great, just not far enough. Any input, or help would be really appreciated.

To simply answer the question....cyclone.

Imho though, it wont get you much more then the stalker currently.
While i do like stalkers, i feel the cyclone is a much greater at tackling your current distance barrier- it will teach you to throw higher. Get more and more comfortable with nose down and throwing higher and that surge will fly like a roc.

I agree also. I use the stalker for slight winds and slightly stable shots. I don't want to go plastic crazy, but as I get even mo' betta' I feel it will become a nice straight disc. But, a Cyclone? I'll look into it. Thanks

Throw your Roc farther. It is capable of much more distance than 220'. Read some technique threads and practice.

Gazelle or Cyclone, but keep pushing that Roc out further.

if your road runner is giving you too much turn, its because your throwing it well.

just step up in stability. throw that stalker - or try a champ teebird.

nothing more than the cyclone/TL IMO. like sloppy said, push that roc out. read read read and practice practice practice.

rinse, and repeat.

Gazelle or Cyclone, but keep pushing that Roc out further.

Yeah, really. You're either throwing too low, too nose up, or a combo of the two or something if you're only getting 220' out of the Roc.

Practice makes perfect. I know the Roc can go a lot farther. I have seen technique posts, and I see they are helpful, but I feel I learn best figuring it out myself too. By making those awkward throws I see how I can change it next time. I use the power grip and plan on getting some more distance out of it too. It's a great disc, and it's my personal favorite for the straight shot on a flat rip. I measured by eyeballing how far I made it on a 300' hole. It's helpful input everyone, it will make a difference.

Last edited:
I like a max weight pro leopard for straight drives and shallow hyzers and hyzer skips, similar to a max weight kc pro roc, but longer by 20-30 feet. Step up from that for me is a max weight champ sidewinder. I get the roc to 250, leopard to 275, and sidewinder to 300. Not far enough yet, but useful. I'd say the leopard is actually the only one of those that flips up and flies dead straight and finishes straight. It took a couple of weeks beating it in befoe the little bit of fade it had disappeared. Another disc that was similar is a dx teebird. My 165 dx teebird lost its fade and was straight for a couple of months before it started flipping. I use the pro leopard now though. I hope it stays money for a good long while.

Last edited:
It sounds like we are at a similar place, in terms of time playing and figuring out how to use the most accurate disc possible at a given distance. As your form improves you should be able to get more distance out of your Roc (I'm using a Classic Roc and SM Roc within 250ft or so), from 250-300 I'm using a Champ TL, but I'm finding a gap being created between 235 and 275. The TL is straight, but it's a driver and doesn't have the soft landing of a Roc - and therefore hurts accuracy.

Try the Buzzz, it wasn't my thing but it may be yours. I've also ordered a GM Gremlin (Disc Mania) that I plan on trying to plug into that spot. I also thought a Gazelle might work.

I'm having a little trouble. I have a nice variety of discs, but now that I've gotten my technique better, I throw harder, and farther. So my old beat-in favorite Champion Roadrunner is now a pure gold long anhyzer disc. Problem: I don't have a "straight" driver. I have gotten a good hyzer, straight, and anhyzer down. So, I have been using my trusty DX 180 Roc out for straight drives. It flies like an arrow, but I have trouble getting past 200-220'. So my question: Is there a good driver or mid. that is similar to a "used" level Roc? For a benchmark I have a Z Stalker for stable, Z Surge for overstable, STAR TeeRex for very overstable shots. My technique is not bad with the Roc, because it flies great, just not far enough. Any input, or help would be really appreciated.

How about a Vulcan, Katana, Bolt, King, or Havoc?
Some others...Tracker, TL, Teebird, Valkyrie?