• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc-Like Driver?

I can get my Goldline River to fly straight and the rim feels similar to a Roc. If the GL is too flippy you could try an Opto River, they're supposed to be more overstable. You'll love the glide. JLS is a nice straight disc, so is the Polaris LS if you don't torque too hard. The Leopard folks are also offering sound advice. A light Champ Valkyrie or Sidewinder might work too.

Last edited:
How about a Vulcan, Katana, Bolt, King, or Havoc?
Some others...Tracker, TL, Teebird, Valkyrie?

if he (or anyone else) can only throw a roc 220' why in the world should he (or anyone else) handle most of those? you SHOULD NOT use anything faster then a teebird/valk [or any other disc, damn i hate that innova is the "standard" for comparisons] if you cant throw a mid closer to 300 then 200.

I'm not a Roc fan, but I can get mine out to 250-ish and have seen people throw them well over 300'. If your Roadrunner is too flippy, and you want something straighter with the same feel in the hand, a Valk or Viking might make you very happy. Have you practiced hyzer flipping your Roadrunner? It's a very versatile disc and with the right throw it can go extremely straight.

If you want to get more distance with a mid, Definitely check out the DGA Squall...pretty amazing disc with way more distance that you'd think (it honestly rivals most fairway drivers). Leopard is another great choice, and could easily replace your Roadrunner on most lines.

I love my Roadrunner. I can hyzer-flip it, just I'm more consistent throwing the Roc then. My fastest disc has to be a Nuke SS. I can get that pretty darn straight. I've thrown a STAR Valkyrie and I can get it straight with a little fade up to around 300' to be safe. I'm definitely going to keep the practice, because I know Rocs can boom once you get really good. And, I'm thinking about getting a new Roadrunner, because I know it works for me. I'm slowly taking this all in. This all makes sense. Thanks.

The lat64 River would be a good disc for you i think. GL rivers are a little flippy, but you can get em straight too. once you get more arm, id try a flow. really straight with little fade at the end.

if he (or anyone else) can only throw a roc 220' why in the world should he (or anyone else) handle most of those? you SHOULD NOT use anything faster then a teebird/valk [or any other disc, damn i hate that innova is the "standard" for comparisons] if you cant throw a mid closer to 300 then 200.
Why not? If he's throwing a Surge or Teerex. Any of those discs are a heck of a lot easier to throw than these two. He asked for a Roc like driver and those are pretty close.

Cyclone for sure. ESP ones are nice. :)

lat 64 striker is super straight till the last bit...nice dependable fade late in the drive...super straight and will just hold the line

Funny thing that happened today. I was out in a big field practicing with my Roc over and over, and what do you know? I got a ton more distance off it! I'm going to be looking into a Beast, or Cyclone. Thanks everyone!

I heard Rivers are excellent too. I'll check it out. Finally, The Surge and TeeRex work well for me too. They are definitely not straight drivers for me on calm days. I use them for longer and power hyzers. Use what you have for what you can get it to do, right?

Glad to hear it :)

What do you think you did different/better?

While i like (almost) all cyclones, the best for you off the shelf will be a chalky pro d.
The beast or a new esp clone may just end up being another hyzer disc. The beast when not fully up to speed can likey be like a surge not up to speed.

I help quite a few new players. They appreciate that i have hundreds of discs and give them multiple options and set ups. I currently have more cyclones on loan then any other mold.

I divide workhorse fairway drivers into three catagories: strong (ish) fade, turn and fade, & straight to anny.
The beast, orc, avenger, tbird, tracker, olf and others would be strong fade.
The river, xl, leopard, xpress, jls, and others would be straight to turning.
The last catagory would be cyclone, gazelle, and i belive cheetah. These are a great middle of the road fairway, arguably said to fly like a true golf disc. They are great to teach throwing high, what a full flight looks like, and are amazing at giving you feedback when figuring out ypur throw.

Good luck.

Ps...do you throw hawks?

No,, I haven't got to throw a Hawk. It would seem logical I would, but not yet at least. Also, I just focused on giving it a good amount of power, and it took off even more. My friend has a slightly beat Pro Beast that I actually love to throw. Though, I'm not sure how a new one would fly. Thanks for the help, and I'll be trying a Cyclone in coming weeks.

I divide workhorse fairway drivers into three catagories: strong (ish) fade, turn and fade, & straight to anny.
The beast, orc, avenger, tbird, tracker, olf and others would be strong fade.
The river, xl, leopard, xpress, jls, and others would be straight to turning.
The last catagory would be cyclone, gazelle, and i belive cheetah. These are a great middle of the road fairway, arguably said to fly like a true golf disc. They are great to teach throwing high, what a full flight looks like, and are amazing at giving you feedback when figuring out ypur throw.

I would definitely not consider Beasts, Orcs, Olfs, and possibly Avengers fairway drivers. Old mold Beasts had fade but current Beasts are decidedly turnover drivers.

My white pro roc and white pro leopard are so similar in appearance and feel, I have to double check to make sure which one I am using.

a beast might start off stable for you, you'll bropabably have to beat it in a lil, for straight shots i use a crystal stalker or champ leopard

I also throw the Stalker much straighter now. I've been practicing for a while, and recently, it's made itself have a home in straight drives, but I am still going to try out that Cyclone. After that, I think I'm going to be set, at least until I either lose a disc (none lost yet!) or beat one up to the point that defeats the purpose of why I even carry it.

Latest posts