• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Rocs, Tell me about them

Golden Tuna

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Historically I've been a Buzz thrower, but they're just not doing it for me anymore. On a whim, I made a lot deal trade with another guy. I got a Roc3 in the lot, and I'm loving it. Seems molded just like a Wasp, but I like the plastic a lot better. So, I'm thinking, "the Roc3 is so great, what else am I missing out on in the world of Rocs?"

On to the confusing part, there are what, like 6 different Roc molds (DX, KC Pro, San Marino, Ontario, Champion, etc) and I really don't know anything about any of them. So, Roc lovers unite and educate me on what I'm missing and tell me about the different variations of the mold.

From a Discraft perspective I have experience with
Z Buzzz SS
Z, FLX & ESP Buzzz
Z & ESP Wasps
Drones

So, if you have thrown both and can make comparisons, that would be great. I'll never stop throwing my Drone, and the Roc3 has been great for straight to over-stable mid thrown so I'm looking for something to replace my straight Buzzz and possible my turn over Buzzz SS's

Lastly, please do not turn this into a Roc vs Buzzz thread. I don't care which one anyone thinks is superior. I'm going to try both and make up my mind on my own. I'm just trying to get a little education and perspective on the different molds of the Roc so I know exactly what to look for/buy.

Long story short though: buy some DX rocs (180 G) and throw them only (and I mean only) for a few weeks. They will start to change their flight into one of the most versatile discs ever to be created.

Historically I've been a Buzz thrower, but they're just not doing it for me anymore. On a whim, I made a lot deal trade with another guy. I got a Roc3 in the lot, and I'm loving it. Seems molded just like a Wasp, but I like the plastic a lot better. So, I'm thinking, "the Roc3 is so great, what else am I missing out on in the world of Rocs?"

On to the confusing part, there are what, like 6 different Roc molds (DX, KC Pro, San Marino, Ontario, Champion, etc) and I really don't know anything about any of them. So, Roc lovers unite and educate me on what I'm missing and tell me about the different variations of the mold.

From a Discraft perspective I have experience with
Z Buzzz SS
Z, FLX & ESP Buzzz
Z & ESP Wasps
Drones

So, if you have thrown both and can make comparisons, that would be great. I'll never stop throwing my Drone, and the Roc3 has been great for straight to over-stable mid thrown so I'm looking for something to replace my straight Buzzz and possible my turn over Buzzz SS's

Lastly, please do not turn this into a Roc vs Buzzz thread. I don't care which one anyone thinks is superior. I'm going to try both and make up my mind on my own. I'm just trying to get a little education and perspective on the different molds of the Roc so I know exactly what to look for/buy.

i would get a 180 dx roc and work it in a bit! both buzzz's that you are looking at "replacing" will be a bit faster out of the hand then the roc but the roc has more glide/carry then the buzzz both distances will be about the same!

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-320.html

Read this sometime. It'll give you the rundown. I've read it dozens of times. Save it for a night when you're alone and pop a nice beer. It'll really set the mood for your new obsession.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

What good does that do anyone, really? You can search for Roc & come up with over a million threads. It is one of the most popular discs ever made after all.

Welcome to the world of Rocs.

I'm not in the "world of Rocs" until someone helps me with the info I'm looking for...

If you hadn't already been linked to a good thread I wouldn't have made that comment bud

DX and KC pro are just plastic types. The typical roc mold you find on the shelf is a rancho. As others have said, grab a couple of DX rocs, throw them. Anything in the mid 170's to 180 is great. It is an amazingly useful disc no matter beat it gets. Anddddd. Read that link. It's awesome info.

Rocs are pretty sweet man. I used them for years before I went with a Comet,Hornet combo.

If all I had was Rocs I would still have a killer midrange game,it's that versatile of a disc when worn in.

Explore the Rocs. It's a good idea to try new discs. Don't take the Buzzz out. That would be a terrible idea. I hear a lot of Roc throwers say the key is to beat it in to be a straight flyer. Well, a Z Buzzz is already there, and stays there. I'm on a trial period with my Z Wasp. I like it so far but am open to a Star Rancho Roc. They are supposed to be a little slower than a Wasp right?

THIS is what I was looking for!
Thanks Cassidy!

So, there are really only three molds: San Marino, Ontario and Rancho. If you go to the store and buy a DX Roc or a KC Pro Roc, it is a Rancho mold. From most overstable to least overstable they go Rancho-San Marino-Ontario.

When San Marino's and Ontario's were in production, there was only DX plastic. All plastic variations of the Roc such as KC Pro Rocs, Super Rocs and USDGC Roc are Ranchos. The exception are a few collectors USDGC Rocs that have been run in the Ontario and San Marino molds the last two years, but if you don't understand Rocs and you are paying collector USDGC Roc money for a disc...well, you need more help than a post on a message board can give you.

Last year the DX Ontario mold was brought back as a CFR disc. This year they have re-created the DX San Marino Roc in the CFR program and added an Ontario Roc in Star to the CFR program. So you can find some new San Marino's and Ontario's now with tournament stamps. Any Roc you find with he standard factory stamp is still a Rancho. You can still tell the difference by flipping them over and reading the tooling on the underside.

The original 21.2 cm diameter disc came back in '95 as the "Classic Roc." It has the "Roc" name, but it should be considered a completely different unrelated disc to the other Roc's. It is nothing like a Roc.

That's about it. Actually, it is not...but basically that is it.

Edit: This thread came back from the dead, and the saga of the Roc continues. In 2009 they put the recreated San Marino mold into regular production in Star plastic. In 2010 they introduced the Roc+ mold, which features a slanted inner rim. The original PR for it made the Roc+ seem like a disc they were going to sell in Champ and Star, but other than some fundraiser Star's the only plastic I've seen it in is R-Pro.

Edit of the Edit: OK, so... They now have a Star Rancho Roc in Star along with the recreated Star San Marino Roc AND they have a Roc3 mold which they are selling in Champion. So now there are 5 Rocs: Rancho, Roc3, San Marino, Roc+ and Ontario. :\ My original assertion that Rocs were not all that confusing can be freely ignored. :(

Not sure why you would hesitate if they feel good in your hand and your throwing em well. Seems an odd or loaded question. But DX rocks are great.
My first disc and I loved it. tried a bunch of stuff out later after being frustrated by it changing its flight so quickly. I thought it was bad durability or something and mr roc 3 champion replaced it. But I ended up going back to it after learning more and improving. Once you beat one in to a turnover anny disc or hyzer flipper. You go get a new one that you don't have to worry about getting away from you if you want to rip on it. Just did it and the old ones diameter is noticeably smaller after beating in. having two different flights in exactly the same mold and plastic is awesome. Although worn DX plastic does feel different. Both maintain grip. A great under stable and over stable combo and they feel identical. So sweet.

Not sure why you would hesitate if they feel good in your hand and your throwing em well. Seems an odd or loaded question.

Its not a loaded question. As everyone's golf game evolves, they go through different seasons and try different discs. I used Rocs very early in my DG career (before I knew what I was doing (not that I know what I'm doing now)), but strayed away from therm for 1 reason or another.

Then, there was a period that I didn't carry any mid-range discs at all, just drivers and Wizards in different molds/hardnesses. Shortly there after, I was given a Buzzz and liked it.

Recently, the Buzzz feels too shallow and its harder for me to get a good grip for some reason. I don't have any Rocs laying around and haven't thrown one in years. So, I want to try a few out and see if I can get a more comfortable/reliable grip than I'm getting from my Buzzz's. However, since I threw my first Roc over 10 years ago, a lot has changed and I want to have a better understanding of my options now that I have a better understanding of the game and what discs can do if thrown properly.

just do yourself a favor and get a dx rancho cucamonga roc. Or, KC pro roc.
Once you learn how to throw those, you will see how it differs from a roc3 and buzzz.

Recently, the Buzzz feels too shallow and its harder for me to get a good grip for some reason. I don't have any Rocs laying around and haven't thrown one in years. So, I want to try a few out and see if I can get a more comfortable/reliable grip than I'm getting from my Buzzz's. However, since I threw my first Roc over 10 years ago, a lot has changed and I want to have a better understanding of my options now that I have a better understanding of the game and what discs can do if thrown properly.

The buzzz being shallower than the roc is the reason why I dont throw the buzzz.

i would buy two new ones, kc pro and dx. and then pick up a few used ones in the MP. they take a decent amount of throwing/abuse to get broken in to the point that people love them for. you may not have enough time/patience to do that with a new disc.