• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Rocs to MVP mids... worth it?

There's lots of different playing styles out there, no need to imply I don't know how to play disc golf just because I don't like some discs that you do.

I really like what MVP does and they make a very quality product. If you notice in my first post in this thread, in no way did I try and steer the OP away from MVP, quite the opposite, rather.

Hey i wasn't saying any of that, why are you getting defensive?

Just said MVP flies different and takes some getting used to compared to other discs.. its something you have to commit to in order to get the reward

If you have a "different throwing style" or "don't know how to play disc golf" that's your own problem, not the disc ;)

Why is it that when someone says something negative about MVP (or doesn't care for them) on here the normal response is that we are "haters", or that we don't know how to throw properly in order to fully realize the power of gyro. I dont get it. But whatever, to each their own.

There is no such thing as "knowing how to throw properly in order to fully realize the power of gyro", lol its just that some people dont expect the results they get when they first throw a MVP disc, it holds lines a little longer and slows down the transitions a from HSS to LSS, just takes time to get acquainted to.

Some people choose to hate on mvp because they are different and its something they are not used to.. its silly, fine if you dont prefer the discs, but that doesnt mean other people won't

I'm just tired of people who have never even given their discs a chance who come on here and tell people not to try them once, even though they haven't thrown them enough to be giving anyone advice.

I used to throw mostly Innova and had 4 Rocs in my bag at a time at different stages of wear and plastics.. they worked great!

Then MVP released their midranges..

I switched to MVP to try something new and they worked just as well but i liked the fact that if i smoke a tree i didn't have to buy a new one and they seem to never break in, they fly the same all season and its helps my consistency by leaps and bounds.

I'm willing to give you a Neutron Vector for free, if you don't like it send it back.. if you like Rocs its easy to love the Vector.

PM me your address and its yours.

There is no such thing as "knowing how to throw properly in order to fully realize the power of gyro", lol its just that some people dont expect the results they get when they first throw a MVP disc, it holds lines a little longer and slows down the transitions a from HSS to LSS, just takes time to get acquainted to.

Some people choose to hate on mvp because they are different and its something they are not used to.. its silly, fine if you dont prefer the discs, but that doesnt mean other people won't

I'm just tired of people who have never even given their discs a chance who come on here and tell people not to try them once, even though they haven't thrown them enough to be giving anyone advice.

I used to throw mostly Innova and had 4 Rocs in my bag at a time at different stages of wear and plastics.. they worked great!

Then MVP released their midranges..

I switched to MVP to try something new and they worked just as well but i liked the fact that if i smoke a tree i didn't have to buy a new one and they seem to never break in, they fly the same all season and its helps my consistency by leaps and bounds.

I'm willing to give you a Neutron Vector for free, if you don't like it send it back.. if you like Rocs its easy to love the Vector.

PM me your address and its yours.

Take him up in this!!!! :clap:
The neutron vector is my favorite disc in the bag. It really is like a better Ching roc. Fast, comfortably overstable, great glide and a late, but hard, finish.

Take him up in this!!!! :clap:
The neutron vector is my favorite disc in the bag. It really is like a better Ching roc. Fast, comfortably overstable, great glide and a late, but hard, finish.

Here it is, the dye got messed up.. i think it looks kinda cool though!

img20130414190010.jpg

Hey i wasn't saying any of that, why are you getting defensive?

Just said MVP flies different and takes some getting used to compared to other discs.. its something you have to commit to in order to get the reward

If you have a "different throwing style" or "don't know how to play disc golf" that's your own problem, not the disc ;)

I'm getting defensively because you straight up told me I had no idea how MVP discs work. Despite the fact that my go-to putter is an Ion, and I regularly use Volts, Shocks and the Tangent...as is shown in my sig.

I read it like you thought I was talking him out of MVP and that was just not the case. O viously, I love MVP! I was just letting him know my experience. The OP is tho king about transferring from Rocs to MVPs lineup. I did the exact same thing, so my experience is useful in this case. I didn't like the Vector or Axis all that much, and I kept them in my bag for the better part of 8 months on the strength of the Anode and Vector. The Volt came out and I was amazed...not exageratting I was seriously in awe when I threw it. The Shock (initial production issues notwithstanding) was equally awesome...hence why I have 3. 2 initial rums and one newer run that is definetly a wind-fighter.

Naturally, when the Tangent came out I had to try one. Luckily, I'm fortunate enough to be on the reviewer list for InfiniteDiscs so I get all the new releases for super cheap. I threw it once and knew it was in the bag. Very easy to make it go straight, and it handles traditional understable lines with ease. It also falls really easily into that 200-300 foot, "true" mid-range distances. The Vector and Axis, in my opinion, fall I to the greater mid-range category like a Gremlin in that it seems like their true distance is over 250 feet, making them difficult to range for short, touch shots that I have always used a Roc for.

TL;DR: you acted like I knew nothing of MVP, when I love them. I wasn't trying.g to talk the OP out of MVP mids, just relaying my experience. Vectors and Axisi are way longer than traditional mids.

I throw both. From lowest stability to highest is:

X Buzzz > DX Roc (beat) > Tangent > Flattop Roc > Domey Axis

I would agree 100% in that the MVP axis and vector are LONG MIDS. I throw them in place of fairways pretty frequently. Yet another reason that MVPs first set of drivers are the perfect speed. Pick up a vector, you won't be disappointed.

I agree the MVP disc do take a lot of getting used to. But after my learning curve these discs really helped my game. I personally like the Axis and Tangent the best! These are my go to mids.....

Edit: I still use a pain for OS shorter mid duty

I already own many MVP discs. I just didn't see any improvement over my already bagged discs.

for those like me that drive with midranges instead of upshooting with them, i can vouch for MVPs effectiveness. i just bought their lineup to try out and i'm pretty sure they will be keeping my rocs out of the bag. like others, i had 5 rocs that i cycled, but every time i'd hit a post or concrete or whatever with my super old, super attached to, super perfect roc, i'd nearly cry. now, i can just buy another tangent. plus, they all feel very similar in the hand, and i think get better releases with greater distance. it's almost a no-brainer.

I have 4 Rocs in the bag, OS Roc3, stable KC Glo, Neutral DX, us KC Pro.

I'm thinking of switching to MVP mids, if so I'm thinking a light tangent, heavy tangent, axis, beat vector, fresh/ FR vector.

My problem is that I add one disc total to the mix. I don't know, show me the way DGCRers.

I'm a casual golfer but I have thrown Rocs for a few years and am doing the same thing. I'll still have my Rocs here, so it's not really a commitment, except for the few bucks. My reasoning is actually many-fold: Firstly, I've sampled some MVP molds and find myself going back to them instead of the discs whose place in my game bag they currently occupy. In fact, the Tangent created a new spot all for itself. Secondly I really like the quality of the discs. For example, I couldn't relate to people complaining about flashing on discs before as I just barely noticed it at all. Well, I notice it now on some of my existing discs because the Anode and Tangent I have don't appear to have any, and on the Amp I have, it's set into the wing (and very tiny) instead of the heel of the rim where your finger rips across the disc. Thirdly, I like how they have set out by methodically producing discs which all compliment one another as a game set, starting with the types of discs most of us use most often. Last but no least, I'm a fan of their clean, restrained stamps; especially the Neutron line. In fact, I feel MVP are like an 'Apple' of disc golf in a way. They're not just throwing a bunch of stuff at a wall and seeing what sticks, they have a plan and I like it.

With those thoughts in mind, I thought I'd go ahead and try their entire line and see how they fared against the rest of my bag - why not is the question, I think.

Last edited:
i played the roc game for most of last summer. losing my beat in ones, getting one good round out of every fresh one, forever wishing that i was using each disc at a different time.. now i just bomb vectors at everything and im rarely disappointed. i have 5 now, proton and neutron, and i can seriously grab any one of them at any time and toss it into the bag. consistent as they were when i bought them.

as with all mvp discs though, good form is HEAVILY rewarded and bad form is punished the second it leaves your hand..

MVP FTW.

2nd most what others have said and no need for seasoned anything with the new tangents they fly like a seasoned buzz, roc, fuse, (insert your favorite neutral beat mid)

Axis also are not understable at all IMO they compare well to some of the less OS rocs which are much more workable than a fresh vector would be.

I'm not changing from Rocs, but I'm not extremely pleased with the Swedish mids right now so I just bought the Neutron Vector, Axis, Tangent combo and an M1 because I know the Vector, from previous experience, isn't overstable enough for the OS mid slot.

Latest posts