• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ropes.. how are they done?

jeverett

Double Eagle Member
Ok, I was curious of if anyone had any knowledge of how roped OB is actually done (i.e. what hardware is used? Can it be purchased off the shelf, or does it need to be created by hand?)? :)

Thanks!

I've done it with cheap tent stakes before. I much prefer these I've always called them double loop stakes, not sure the proper nomenclature. Much pricier, but gives a much better appearance having an elevated line to see the OB easier, but the low line to make it less of a judgement call. USDGC and I think Ledgestone use similar.

I've done it with cheap tent stakes before. I much prefer these I've always called them double loop stakes, not sure the proper nomenclature. Much pricier, but gives a much better appearance having an elevated line to see the OB easier, but the low line to make it less of a judgement call. USDGC and I think Ledgestone use similar.

Cool, those look interesting! Is the idea to drive them as far as possible into the ground, to get that first ring as close to ground level as possible? Or is the lower rope typically still a bit up off the ground?

Also, any idea about how far apart the stakes need to be? e.g. How much roped distance would a 48-pack like that cover? :)

Oh, how about the ropes themselves.. anyone have any suggestion on what 'works' for that? Is there a color preference as well? :)

Cool, those look interesting! Is the idea to drive them as far as possible into the ground, to get that first ring as close to ground level as possible? Or is the lower rope typically still a bit up off the ground?

Also, any idea about how far apart the stakes need to be? e.g. How much roped distance would a 48-pack like that cover? :)

Oh, how about the ropes themselves.. anyone have any suggestion on what 'works' for that? Is there a color preference as well? :)

Color should be some color you will never see on the course ground, the Pink is great or the lime green is not bad and is often the next best choice. Orange is not bad too if you get the Florescent orange and stay away from more dark Orange colors as leaves off trees in fall can affect that.

Local club used Plain thin rough rope as we could not find another color except we tied the pink plastic ribbon to it to mark a spot that the Dam nearby would fill a culvert thing at times and when it was higher then the ropes the water was the hazard and when lower the rope was the boundary. We learned from a few years before when they released water at a different tournament to not have sprayed paint as the marker.

If it's OB rope, then white is the best choice assuming it's running through grass. Pink and Orange are tough colors for the 5-10% of color blind players.

Right, put the first ring to the ground giving a solid line for marking. Spacing is dependent on the shape of the OB, A straight line would only need one at each end (if you pull the rope enough) compared to a bunch needed for following a curvy river.

If it's OB rope, then white is the best choice assuming it's running through grass. Pink and Orange are tough colors for the 5-10% of color blind players.
As a color blind person, thank you for thinking of us. White is best, pink is okay with me, neon green as suggested by someone else isn't going to work.

I mark my course OBs with rope. Yellow 1/4 inch polypropylene rope. In general I use 4 to 6 inch nails to stake it down (big nails on the ends/through knots, little nails alone the way to prevent the rope from getting tripped over or moved). Not as ideal for temporary situations but my rope is permanently installed. I use a trimmer maybe once a month to make sure it doesn't get overgrown and hidden. Also mark it with yellow Quik Stakes every 30-40 feet for visibility from afar.

I have to occasionally replace sections here and there, but this has worked for the better part of 15 years.

Quik stakes are now ordered for my upcoming event.. Thanks for that link JC17393! I let them know it is for disc golf so maybe they will get into marketing towards TDs one day..

Latest posts