• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rounds with disc golf legends?

I started playing disc golf in July of 2014. A couple months later, I went to play the doubles round on the Friday before the Safari tournament at SFDGC. It was an A/B pool and I got partnered up with this very talkative (but fun) guy. I had no idea about professional golfers at this point, didn't know any of the big names or anything.

The guy didn't seem all that good, but he did tell me he was recovering from an injury. Over the course of the round, I heard all about his times of winning Safari, and all these other big wins he had. I kind of thought he was just bull****ting me, but nonetheless had a great time playing with him.

After that, I went home and looked him up and found out the Gregg Barsby really was one of the top disc golfers in the world!!!

bda

I thought you were telling MY story about a "Gregg"! One day I was traveling through Orlando and decided to play Turkey Lake. A friendly guy walks up and starts chatting me up, telling me how he was a world champion, etc. He offers to play a few holes and I can see that this could perhaps be true - the guy, being much older than me could really throw far and accurate. I kinda thought he might be pulling my leg, but when I later looked up his name, I realized that Gregg Hosfield was not just a legend in his own mind!

No one on here has mentioned Mark Ellis ... surely he's worthy of legendary status.

Mark took me aside in 1996, told me to get rid of my Barracudas and get some X-Clones, and taught me how to get my forehands out to about 300'. That was a big turning point for me.

J-Bird taught me how to grip a backhand right about then too...

I have played with many of the legends. But the most amazing group I ever played with in a tourney was...

Me, John Kirkland, Snap Conger and Peter Shive during the WFDf world championships. Truly an amazing experience.