• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rule on Post Tee-off stance

Technically your non plant leg/foot or arms or pretty mcuh anything can be outside the tee area, so long as they arent touching the non tee surface.

Yes, as I said, every supporting point must be within the tee area. If you're only using one leg to support yourself, then that's all that matters. If you're standing on both legs, then both feet must be in the teeing area.

This differs from a fairway shot where only one supporting point has to be on the lie.

So what if you say are in FH stance with your heels off the pad... and the balls of your feet and toes are on the pad at the time of disc release? Is that a rules violation? I have used this to my advantage in tournaments several times.

So what if you say are in FH stance with your heels off the pad... and the balls of your feet and toes are on the pad at the time of disc release? Is that a rules violation? I have used this to my advantage in tournaments several times.

As long as you keep your weight on your toes as you release, it's legal.

A tee area question for you guys. My home course has mostly natural tees, some grass, some gravel, with a few concrete. The natural tees have a sunken board marking the front, but no clear line marking the back / sides. There is one hole in particular that it is best to throw from a few feet further back as it makes the line easier to hit (for me at least). Now if this was a concrete pad it is easy to tell if you are within the tee box when releasing. Given this one isn't clearly marked - how would you play it? I'd approximate that I'm within (but at the very back of) what would be the concrete tee box if one were there, but I figured I'd ask the group here.

Thanks.

A tee area question for you guys. My home course has mostly natural tees, some grass, some gravel, with a few concrete. The natural tees have a sunken board marking the front, but no clear line marking the back / sides. There is one hole in particular that it is best to throw from a few feet further back as it makes the line easier to hit (for me at least). Now if this was a concrete pad it is easy to tell if you are within the tee box when releasing. Given this one isn't clearly marked - how would you play it? I'd approximate that I'm within (but at the very back of) what would be the concrete tee box if one were there, but I figured I'd ask the group here.

Thanks.

Rule book covers this.

800.02 Definitions
Teeing Area (or Tee)
The area bounded by the edges of a tee pad, if provided. Otherwise, the area extending three meters perpendicularly behind the designated tee line. The teeing area is also a lie.

So if the tee is defined by a board at the front, then the teeing area is a rectangle 3 meters long with a width determined by the distance from one end of the board to the other.

Last edited:
Technically, it's not a supporting point unless it's in contact with the playing surface. So what Brad said is technically correct.

I see what you did there, you said 'technically' a lot as a way of sarcastically replying to my post. Bravo sir.

Yes Brad, sorry. The way i initially read it as, meant, that the you must keep your body within the tee area. Like there was a vertical plane to stay inside of with your whole body.

Funny after I make a post 5 1/2 years after this thread was pretty much dead, there's already 2 more pages of posts! USE the search function guys!!

Does the disc have to be released before the end of the tee pad? Or if your feet are still in the tee pad area and say your arm and disc go over the end of the pad is that ok? My friends always give me **** on my follow through but I do release the disc inside the tee pad.

Does the disc have to be released before the end of the tee pad? Or if your feet are still in the tee pad area and say your arm and disc go over the end of the pad is that ok? My friends always give me **** on my follow through but I do release the disc inside the tee pad.

As long as whatever body parts are in contact with the ground are within the tee area at the time of release, you're fine. Where the disc is in relation to the tee (before the end of the pad, past the end of the pad, etc) is 100% irrelevant.

Hmm, I never knew that, For my overhand monster throws I really get my body into it and when I release at the end of the tee usually only one plant foot is on the ground (on the tee still) and my other foot is in the air.

So to recap, if statement above is true then if one foot is still on tee and half my body as well as the disc are over the end of the tee its completely legal? and when disc is out of my hand my body motion continues over the tee and both my feet end up in front of the tee.. legal?

Hmm, I never knew that, For my overhand monster throws I really get my body into it and when I release at the end of the tee usually only one plant foot is on the ground (on the tee still) and my other foot is in the air.

So to recap, if statement above is true then if one foot is still on tee and half my body as well as the disc are over the end of the tee its completely legal? and when disc is out of my hand my body motion continues over the tee and both my feet end up in front of the tee.. legal?

Sounds like you are 100% legal to me.

Run up is fine, a lot of people just don't do it. For me, if I run up on uneven fairway ground, I often have a non-optimal stance when I release and that screws with my accuracy. So it really depends on the shot. On the off chance I have a wide open fairway on flat ground, and all that really matters is getting good distance, I will do a run up. But most of the time, I'll do a stand still or one step where I'm comfortable my stance will be stable and the shot will be more accurate.

attachment.php

I love reviving 6 year old arguments.

I almost line my 2nd / 3rd shots up like a field goal kicker. I stand at the spot/point that I want to release and I back up 2 steps and move to the right by 1 step. So I approach by stepping right left then planting the right behind the marker....like a mini x step that is more accurate. It's just to get the body moving in a fluid motion. I don't always do this....but when I do...I birdie