• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Saint Pro

Since the Recycled Spark and Longbowman, I've been throwing my Saint Pros less and less. I still have a GL Saint for rollers and a green GL saint pro for straight shots, but the saint pro is getting less and less use. Really like the longbowman for touch sidearms and 300 foot straight hyzer shots.

I don't use my saint pros that much.
Only when I need to get around a corner at the end of the flight.
For me they have a big sweeping, gliding fade.
Saito are my go to driver.
If I want to go straight, I use a saint, be cause the fade beats out of them pretty quickly.
But for wind, or big flex shots I now use the Longbowman because of its dumping fade

So on a whim I decided to really give the saint/pro a serious try. It's been a long time since I've thrown a different fairway but the saint and saint pro are both really good discs. The saint pro is plenty stable - no, it's not overstable like it says, but who cares if it flies so well? I have a 173 GL and a 169 Opto. I've really been surprised at how far I've been able to throw them with little to no lateral movement on a slight hyzer flip. The saint will track to the right for a while before a slight flex at the end, which is a nice compliment to the pros. Felon/saint/pro/river is a really good fairway/control driver setup. Probably could play any course with those.

Overall, after a couple of rounds with them, the saint pro is a very good disc. More teebird like than PD like especially in the premium plastics. Don't expect it to be overstable and you'll probably be very pleased.

More teebird like than PD like especially in the premium plastics. Don't expect it to be overstable and you'll probably be very pleased.

Going to change my tune just a bit...the Saint Pro flies more like an Eagle-X and the Saint more like an Eagle-L, both just a tick or two faster. The pro loves to hyzer flip to flat but still have a decent fade at the end.

I'm still very pleased with how well these things fly. I've been throwing them in the 340-380' range with no want for more stability. If I needed more, I'd throw a biofuzion felon.

John E McCray signature Opto less stable than expected?

Full disclosure when discs do things I don't expect I normally attribute that to me as my ability to throw the exact same throw twice in a row is pretty suspect. That being said I picked up a new Opto JEMC sig Saint Pro and it is flippier than my seasoned Recycled Saint but just a more fade.
My Saint has been my goto distance driver for a bit, but recently just a slight amount of headwind or less than decent release and rather than flip up and go straight it gets out about 250' and then starts turning right and right and right.
So a few rounds ago a buddy i'm throwing with drops a piece of advice after a throw like I mentioned ~"you need something more stable. If that was a Saint Pro instead of a Saint you park that drive"
In the local shop I see one, I buy it. Next round I drive with my saint. Slight Hyzer release, it flips up turns right a little goes straight and finishes straight about 40' right of where I wanted. I throw the Saint Pro, brand new off the shelf, with as close to the same release and I miss by at least 100' right. It did fade at the end but by that point in the flight didn't help much.
My first thought was that was a bad release, but several more throws and its been the same. Its practically new and has way more turn and a bit more fade than a conditioned Saint. I can use this disc, certainly just not for what I expected.

Is this just a random thing, were my expectations off? Is this particular J.E. McCray sig run less stable?
All the comparisons to a PD... not even close in my experience.

I have a 168 GL Saint Pro and I don't know why I don't throw it more. It is a laser beam for me out to 350 with a very predictable forward fade at the end when thrown flat and it just glides on and on. I can lay into it and not fear of it turning over, although I can get a slight turn on it. It is just one of those discs that comes out of my hand the same every time. And it is an absolutely gorgeous disc in the blue gray with a slight swirling effect to it.

Also, it is a great forehand disc as well.

Now, the GL saint that I bag I just can't get comfortable with. It is all me though. I just don't release it consistently. When I do it is money with a healthy turn, glide for days and a lazy fade at the end all produced with a less than full throw.

Full disclosure when discs do things I don't expect I normally attribute that to me as my ability to throw the exact same throw twice in a row is pretty suspect. That being said I picked up a new Opto JEMC sig Saint Pro and it is flippier than my seasoned Recycled Saint but just a more fade.
My Saint has been my goto distance driver for a bit, but recently just a slight amount of headwind or less than decent release and rather than flip up and go straight it gets out about 250' and then starts turning right and right and right.
So a few rounds ago a buddy i'm throwing with drops a piece of advice after a throw like I mentioned ~"you need something more stable. If that was a Saint Pro instead of a Saint you park that drive"
In the local shop I see one, I buy it. Next round I drive with my saint. Slight Hyzer release, it flips up turns right a little goes straight and finishes straight about 40' right of where I wanted. I throw the Saint Pro, brand new off the shelf, with as close to the same release and I miss by at least 100' right. It did fade at the end but by that point in the flight didn't help much.
My first thought was that was a bad release, but several more throws and its been the same. Its practically new and has way more turn and a bit more fade than a conditioned Saint. I can use this disc, certainly just not for what I expected.

Is this just a random thing, were my expectations off? Is this particular J.E. McCray sig run less stable?

my (somewhat) limited experience would suggest that the Opto JohnE sig stamp was less HSS than a Deco.

I actually removed the Opto SP from my bag because I didn't find them that much more HSS than my Visions. For clarity the Visions I throw are a very good run that are domey, quite stable, and not flippy understable like current stock runs.

Yes the LSS on the SP was stronger than the Vision but the high speed portion of flights was so similar that I did not see the need for both in my bag especially given that I can cover more shots with the Vision.

I can't speak to other Decodye versions but the "Robot" / "DecoBot" version was better than the Opto.

I decided to go with the new run (domey) GL Spark...which is quite a bit more HSS than the SP.

Another option, but faster, would be a GL Culverin

A year and a half ago, I bought a Saint Pro from a brick and mortar shop. I had a Saint on my shopping list, I thought that "pro" was a type of plastic. So I thought I was buying a Saint.

I was not happy, but I started using the Saint Pro. Every time I throw it (which is quite often), I say "That's the disc I bought by mistake, thank god."

Saint Pros tend to have a lot of variation in stability. I have a 164g JohnE Opto that is really flippy. I also have two max weight JohnEs and they are slightly overstable with no turn at 330'.

So while I wouldn't say that it is normal for the Saint Pro to be more US than a Saint, it certainly is possible if you have a stable Saint and an US Saint Pro.

I'll have to check the weight. I saw it and said 'oh the disc i want and the color and stamp work too!"
If it keeps the fade it has a place in my bag, at least for one uphill shot it worked great on, just not what I thought it was for.

I have a Felon and a Culvrin that seem to have a good amount of overlap both working for a place in the bag... but may both lose out to the PD.

Pop top goldlines are the most os in my stockpile. I was lucky enough to pick up the blank top run in goldline a few years back. They are so nice both in look and flight that they have nearly been put in collection status.

You got a oddball.

Just as a side note, most of my strikers are more stable than my saint pros, in fact my strikers are alost as stable as my longbowman

This is an interesting mold...

I got myself a Gold SP since I wanted something to pair with my Saint for those throws where there simply isn't space for turn. I don't throw very far (around 330') and find it to be a great FD where I can afford a notable fade.

Now I know this post is premature but I like some meat on my bones when I start comparing the discs.

I now have 4 (I'm addicted to hustling used plastic) and will try to get the chance to do some serious comparing. Other than my first gold I have 2 Moonshine and one opto. The opto is the only domey one and have no weight printed on the back, does this indicate an early run?

My goal is to beat the gold one flippy to take the spot of my Frost Saint in the bag, since I have 4 SP and little patience, would it be reasonable to try the tumble dryer trick to speed things up?

No! Beating up a disc to break it in causes wobble, more glide but less penetrating speed.

Find a flatter goldline lower weight and it should be close to that goal new..

Seasoning a disc proper is done over time- gradual wear not abuse.

No! Beating up a disc to break it in causes wobble, more glide but less penetrating speed.

Find a flatter goldline lower weight and it should be close to that goal new..

Seasoning a disc proper is done over time- gradual wear not abuse.

Thank you, I will simply keep the frost Saint in the bag while trying to use my Gold SP more.

Today I accidentally put a slight anhyzer on the Gold SP, it flew so nice. Kept that angle almost the entire 280' only moving 10' to the right. Unfortunately that was 6' on the wrong side of the Mando tree but it was beautiful. :D

Still can't feel completely confident that the Saint Pro beats in to the perfect that I feel the Frost Saint is.

My fear is that it loses its fade as fast as it gains turn. Anyone managed to beat the Saint Pro into the perfect turn over driver without it getting more prone to crash and burn than a Saint?

Still can't feel completely confident that the Saint Pro beats in to the perfect that I feel the Frost Saint is.

My fear is that it loses its fade as fast as it gains turn. Anyone managed to beat the Saint Pro into the perfect turn over driver without it getting more prone to crash and burn than a Saint?

My green 174 GL is at that spot now. Hyzer flip and holds a slow turn. Doesn't come out unless I give it some major height. If I throw it flat full power it will immediately turn into a roller though.

My green 174 GL is at that spot now. Hyzer flip and holds a slow turn. Doesn't come out unless I give it some major height. If I throw it flat full power it will immediately turn into a roller though.

Mine is now quite that flippy yet, actually now it's at the spot I wanted. Perfect US partner to a fresh one. Flies incredibly well for me, like new Saint. Should compare them side by side to compare their glide. But it's close to the same.

Now I just have to figure out what my OS 9 will be... Opto is more OS than the Moonshine but not by much, the Culverin is more OS than the Opto but not by much.
Guess headwind comparison will tell if I should get myself a Firebird or not. :)