• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Saint Pro

So I threw my well-loved 170-ish Opto Saint Pro waaaaaaay into the weeds where it shall rest for a very, very long time, if not forever. I've been experimenting with lighter-weight drivers, so I got a like-new 157 Opto Air. It's actually true to the flight numbers. My old Saint Pro had about the same stability as my 175 Neutron Volt, maybe a little less, but the new one is noticeably more overstable than the Volt. I'm curious to see how it will wear in.

I really like the Opto Air plastic. It's smooth and flexible, nothing like my stiff Blizzard Destroyer with the weird exposed bubbles.

So I threw my well-loved 170-ish Opto Saint Pro waaaaaaay into the weeds where it shall rest for a very, very long time, if not forever. I've been experimenting with lighter-weight drivers, so I got a like-new 157 Opto Air. It's actually true to the flight numbers. My old Saint Pro had about the same stability as my 175 Neutron Volt, maybe a little less, but the new one is noticeably more overstable than the Volt. I'm curious to see how it will wear in.

I really like the Opto Air plastic. It's smooth and flexible, nothing like my stiff Blizzard Destroyer with the weird exposed bubbles.

Does the new one have the Pop-top dome?

I find all my Saint Pros quite stable, even the slightly worn in Moonshine shows no turn on a nice clean slight hyzer release at 320'.
The Pop-top opto handles headwind almost identical to my flat Culverin.

I have been thinking about eventual overlap with the River Pro. The speed difference is only by one but I still emagine they fly notebly faster and pair really well. Can't wait to beat the first River Pro into covering the US slot...

mail call brought me an opto Mcray 2016 champ stamped one, can't wait to try it out

my OS Fairway slot is a little redundant atm, I need to trim it down for sure

Culverin, Spark, River Pro, Convict, Felon and now Saint Pro,

any thoughts on how these molds compare?

mail call brought me an opto Mcray 2016 champ stamped one, can't wait to try it out

my OS Fairway slot is a little redundant atm, I need to trim it down for sure

Culverin, Spark, River Pro, Convict, Felon and now Saint Pro,

any thoughts on how these molds compare?

There is a bit of overlap there. I haven't thrown a River Pro yet, but to me, the Saint Pro is less stable than all the others. I use a McCray opto Saint Pro for slow sweeping anhyzer shots sometimes. That's not all its good for; you can shape shots pretty well with it.

I find the Saint Pro to be rather speed sensitive, and prone to be pushed around by the wind. Learn what it can do, and enjoy.

I feel like a summary of the different Saint Pro versions stability.

From low to high HSS my guess would be:
Gold
Older McCray Opto (haven't thrown)
Newer Decodye & Moonshine
Newer McCray Opto (haven't thrown) (dome)
Older Decodye (haven't thrown)
Pre McCray Opto (high PLH and dome)

Anyone got more experience comparing them?
I guess I shouldn't sell my Pre McCray Opto, seems like the only really OS version?
Consider selling it and then just put the Spark in the utility OS slot.

I have a worn in GL that is dead straight with a soft fade. Turns if I really get on it extra hard and/or impart a less than perfect form.

Got a new McCray opto that has fit in nicely into my bag. Very stable with a strong finish but pushes out there before really hooking up. Not a pop top but domey. Use it mostly for flex lines and an occasional forehand.

I have a worn in GL that is dead straight with a soft fade. Turns if I really get on it extra hard and/or impart a less than perfect form.

Got a new McCray opto that has fit in nicely into my bag. Very stable with a strong finish but pushes out there before really hooking up. Not a pop top but domey. Use it mostly for flex lines and an occasional forehand.

I really like the 3 Saint Pros to cover almost everything I need for FDs. I love the speed 8, the holes where it's too long a mid should give you a look for a birdie.

Today I made an interesting buy! Old Golden Gold. PLH higher than the McCray Opto, from the pictures he sent me it looked like it had the same profile as the OS pre McCray Opto!

Best thing, if it is as OS as I hope, the seller have another one for for 10$. :)
Sometimes it's nice to live in Latitude land.

Gold

I guess I shouldn't sell my Pre McCray Opto, seems like the only really OS version?

Here is my rating of the high speed stability (from lowest to highest) of the models that I have thrown:
Gold Line
Moonshine
Old McCray
Pre McCray Opto (and yes, the domey ones were the most overstable)

The first three listed beat in rather fast, becoming long sweeping bombers, and eventually, rather understable. The domey pre McCrays hold their stability quite a bit longer.

Gold

Older five years or so gold line pop tops were as stable as you could find. They were typically that lava pearlescent beauts that are considered collectibles now.

I've got two blank top pearl beauties that are very stable. They both sit in a collector box. I field tested one of them and thought I better put these up. My yellow gold line lava pop top 169 gram one is the one that is in the arsenal.

Older five years or so gold line pop tops were as stable as you could find. They were typically that lava pearlescent beauts that are considered collectibles now.

I've got two blank top pearl beauties that are very stable. They both sit in a collector box. I field tested one of them and thought I better put these up. My yellow gold line lava pop top 169 gram one is the one that is in the arsenal.

I'm so glad to hear it!
The two Golden golds I'm buying are the pearly pop-tops. Sometimes you just have to be lucky. :)

I got a like-new 157 Opto Air. It's actually true to the flight numbers. My old Saint Pro had about the same stability as my 175 Neutron Volt, maybe a little less, but the new one is noticeably more overstable than the Volt.
I need to correct the above. When I wrote that I hadn't actually thrown the Volt and the Saint Pro back to back very much, and I think my old seasoned Saint Pro, while still pretty stable, had more turn and less fade than the Volt. My new Saint Pro and the Volt are flying about the same.

Oh yes!
High PLH and dome of doom.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC_0746.jpg
    DSC_0746.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 183
Hey how does the rim width compare on the saint pro vs saint? I know it's listed as 1.8 vs 1.9 but I know those measurements aren't particularly precise or consistent.

Anyone mind throwing up a measurement of a saint/saint pro in the same plastic, or maybe a side-by-side?
TY

Don't have hard measurements for you right now but seat of the pants (or palm of the hand) feeling for me is that the saint pro feels a bit wider. Could just be in my head though. Even at that, the difference is minimal.

So, i am looking for something nice and straight, for distances between 350 to 400. Convict is my go-to at the moment, but sometimes it seems to have a lot of turn and a lot of fade too. Makes a big S-curve. So something slower maybe? I have a huge gap between my midranges and my "fairway"drivers, Convict and Felons. Would Saint Pro be a good disc for me? I was thinking about a Stag, but 400 feet with a Stag sounds like a turnover. I tried Saints in the past and they didn't work.

So, i am looking for something nice and straight, for distances between 350 to 400. Convict is my go-to at the moment, but sometimes it seems to have a lot of turn and a lot of fade too. Makes a big S-curve. So something slower maybe? I have a huge gap between my midranges and my "fairway"drivers, Convict and Felons. Would Saint Pro be a good disc for me? I was thinking about a Stag, but 400 feet with a Stag sounds like a turnover. I tried Saints in the past and they didn't work.

Yeah, but you should check out a Mint Discs Alpha. It's exactly what you are looking for.

Sounds like you have decent power.. Try a longbowman or GL spark. Saint Pro definitely develops some turn as it beats in.

Sounds like you have decent power.. Try a longbowman or GL spark. Saint Pro definitely develops some turn as it beats in.
I tried a Longbowman, it was quite nice, but something was missing. Maybe some glide? It was very flat and seemed to want a bigger rip to really fly. I'll give GL Spark a try!