• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Contender

Thanks for the pictures VoR. There is one more picture that shows the extra piece of material running across the top of the shoulder straps for reinforcement. I know we had some tearing issues with the other 2 runs so this should no longer be a concern. Cram a bunch of plastic in it and go play some golf. My first run worked well as a carry on bag on a flight I went on. I think I put my ipad in the top compartment.

400-600 is what Ranger bags are made out of...I hear of those ripping all the time, especially on the bottom around the corners.

Mahals, as well as most MR bags, are made of 500D... and those NEVER rip! I've seen 1 ballistic nylon Mahal and it was heavy and rigid and MR will never make another one. It's just not necessary.

Mahals, as well as most MR bags, are made of 500D... and those NEVER rip! I've seen 1 ballistic nylon Mahal and it was heavy and rigid and MR will never make another one. It's just not necessary.

Can you give me a link where it says they are made out of 500? It doesn't say it on the Mahal's specs.

In fairness, it isn't ballistic (which doesn't even seem as durable as Cordura), but it also isn't 500D

Most MR bags are made of 500D per their site. I'll ask a a rep next time I'm in that area or see one on the course as I was under the impression it's 500D.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/about-hunting-packs/hunting-pack-materials

The Proto's/First Run bags might have been made of 1000D but I think they changed that. I very well could be wrong.

The 1 Ballistic bag was made for a sponsored player here in Montana and Levi said he'd never make another.

The Contender (+) is somewhat of a let down. They defiantly downgraded the features and materials from the previous run for this bags when compared to previous runs. I did a list of pros & cons for everyone. I will also be posting a review online on YouTube eventually.

PROS:
-This bag has mega storage capacity. Over 39 drivers will fit comfortably within it. I'm sure there are ways to cram more in if you had to.

-Water proof. I've yet to put the bag on my head and go undersea exploring with it, but I think within reason, this bag could weather a light storm quite well.

-It still has that easy to grab pick-up-and-go handle made of rubber on top.

-Heavier duty top compartmen zipper. I can zip up an umbrella handle and the zips stay put. I would have like all the zippers to be that way

- Functional putter pocket.

CONS

1) Cheaply constructed.

-When I first unboxed this bag right away I noticed lots of thread burs in the stitching of this bag.

-The shoulder straps are sloppily stitched. They're also made of the same memory foam previous Contenders have. It's comfortable , but I've seen how much they compress a lot over time. When weighted down you really start to notice the poor quality? Overall, the Catalyst bag has superior straps.

Material downgrade. This defiantly does have the same durable feel of the previous bags.

2) Design disfunction.

Almost every aspect of this bag could be improved. Isn't this bag supposed to be the bigger better version of the Catalyst? It feels like they just slapped it together without improving anything from the last run.

- The side disc pockets aren't too bad, the zippers are however. When these cheap side zippers fail those front opening pockets will be worthless.

-The waterbottle holders should be in closer to the body. As is, they hang and droop on the outside corners of the bag. This puts unneeded stress on the seems that connect the bottle holder to the main body of the bag.

-The divider/ main storage ceiling lacks a function to keep it out of the way when not wanted. The velcro divider is cheaply designed. It would be nice if it was either adjustable or fully removable. Basically, there is a lot of flappy sloppiness inside the bag.

-When the hard plastic insert is left in the top storage it doesn't fit discs upright and also digs into my back. When it's taken out the bottom digs into my lower back.

-They changed to outer side pocket configuration for the worse too. I'll show it on the video review.

-Inconvenient side straps. The side straps for securing a chair or whatever are a pain in the ass and should be same as the sternum strap.

-Mini pocket fail. This is by far the least important feature of any bag, yet they still didn't get it all the way right. Even with a perfect example (putter pocket ) right above it Salient still fudged it. I think they were a little too concerned with getting their logo on it to notice. Lucky, the squandered potential of the outer side pockets has produced a small zipper compartment that perfectly fits minis.

Other Thoughts:

At the end of the day I doubt I could look someone in the eye and resell it for what "market value" is, especially after this review. Needless to say, I probably won't be reselling it. I was originally looking for a bag that I could carry an extra change of lightweight travel cloths, rain gear and two days worth of snacks for traveling abroad. Unfortunately, this bag isn't quite built for that. It will become my regular day bag and that'll probably be a role better suited for it. I'll eventually swap out the straps and mod a few things. Luckily, I live in a fabric district. This bag is absolute garbage compared to my friend's first run bag. I will be not be recommending or buying another Salient product.

Awesome review Mr. B. Glad I read it. I am getting a bit back for taxes this year and considering a backpack style bag. It sounds like my Wal-Mart DIY bag is better than this Salient bag.

Latest posts