• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] SALIENT Discs - Lock Jaw (Lid)

Aim For The Chains

FROLF OFF!
Bronze level trusted reviewer
"Grooved Top Deep Dish "

Lock Jaw is a traditional lid style putt and approach disc that classic frisbee throwers will love. The grooved rings on the flight plate make for an easy grip and neutral flight path. Great for approaches that land flat on the green or for a warm up catch disc before a tournament round. A disc anyone can enjoy.

Got a new Salient Lock Jaw (Yikun Claws) in the mail today. It's definitely got a fatter, shallower rim that isn't as vertical (don't want to say "a little beveled"). I like how the disc gets fatter where the rim meets the flightplate too. It's a little weird, but it makes it a little easier to grip. It's also flat whereas I only have domey Polecats. Can't wait to give it a toss.

KarbonLockJawvsDXPolecatProfile_zpse65330ed.jpg

KarbonLockJawvsDXPolecatDome_zps89727636.jpg

I agree with Tbirds initial review and have nothing really to add at this point until throwing it. Feels great though and curious to see how stable it is. Karbon plastic seems the same as the flat line though which definitely needs some firming up.

Too lazy to look it up... How big is the diameter? Similar to a polecat or more like a traditional lid? Could I fit one comfortably in my Grip?

More Polecat than Zephyr, diameter-wise, for sure.

I got some more throws in with this guy, and it laughed at the mild headwind it faced. I would've taken a little extra care with throwing the Polecat. Out to 200', it wouldn't turn and will fade back pretty strong. I haven't thrown a Piranha to say it compares, but it's more overstable than any of the Polecats and Rattlers I've thrown while still having a ton of glide. I really like this mold. The rim doesn't feel nearly as odd as it was in my impression anymore, and, being shallower, it fits my hands better. I'm still not sure it'll boot Polecats from my bag, but I'm looking forward to having a lid-like putter showdown.

Got mine in yesterday, never threw a lid (I don't think). So it'll be a fun experience for me. I'll have this wrapped up in a video review (with all the others) by next weekend.

I'm not usually a lid fan but this thing has a sweet stamp.

Weird. The claws I threw had nowhere near the stability of a fresh dx polecat. maybe it is the different plastic?

I'm guessing you threw one in Yikun's plastic? I haven't thrown any of their molds in their plastic to be able to help. I was surprised at the stability of mine though after your review saying it wasn't as overstable. I was expecting to compare it to a Sonic in fact.

I wonder what you'll experience if you try the Lock Jaw.

First Salient release I've been interested in. I'd like to try this puppy out.

If Salient hasn't modified the mold (which they havent) the Lock Jaw should fly just like the Claws, or at least damn close. Maybe you just got a fluke?

BTW I will be filming a "Yikun Week" for Hucking Aces soon and the Claws is one of the discs I'll be filming. If I can find a Lock Jaw somewhere at a decent price I'll throw them side by side on video for a comparison.

I've found plastic makes a pretty big difference when it comes to the lid-like putters. R-Pro vs DX Polecats are entirely different animals (lightweight Champs fly like max weight DX too), as are SuperSonics and DX Sonics (huge weight difference between the two).

If Salient hasn't modified the mold (which they havent) the Lock Jaw should fly just like the Claws, or at least damn close. Maybe you just got a fluke?

Lock jaw is a stable Lid. You can give it power and not worry about it flipping like a sonic or some of the older polecats.

Haven't thrown a pirnanha in 10 years so I can't rememebr how it flies.

Lock jaw doesn't have any tooling, some of the claws do. BTW plastic makes a huge difference in stability and how they mold up.

It is not a fluke as all the lock jaws I have heard about and the one I throw are both stable and can put up a fight in the wind but do a great job of of flying nice and straight when thrown with power.

Definitely very interested in this disc. Still curious if it will fit in a Grip without any problem though.

Definitely very interested in this disc. Still curious if it will fit in a Grip without any problem though.

its same diameter as many other putters/mids. No problem fitting it in any bag. More Shallow/sleeker profile than a sonic/polecat/birdie.

Its smaller diameter than my vectors by a good amount and shorter than a Ion.

Last edited:
Awesome!

Last question, what online retailers do you guys use to order your salient? My go tos seem to not carry Salient.

Disc Nation seems to get most of their new releases first. At gotta go gotta throw yesterday I saw lots of Salient and believe prime or infite also carries some. You can buy discs from salient directly as well pretty sure-- I purchased a "lot" of misc discs from Scott previously.