• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient's Catalyst Medium Backpack

why is that?

well we use putters every single hole. not drivers. its common to have a separate putter pocket for a reason. And yes we use drivers a lot, but i for one don't reach for a driver but maybe 6 holes on my local course. mids and putters are all i need for the most part. go and get it pouch i guess does not mean its a putter pocket. but it should be.

Yea I had to do two separate mods to get my putters to fit. They got the dimensions of the insert wrong (on mine at least).

just wanted to chime in for one of the last times (another to review my bag later) UPS got it together and my bag finally made it to texas. It's in mesquite so HOPEFULLY it will be at my door by tomorrow evening

It seems to me the top putter slot needs to be tight.. how F(*&@#$*&^ annoying would it be if your putters fell out of there when the bag was on your back-- that's JUST what you want is to lose your putter not even throwing it.

The slot was super super super tight. It was a pain to shove discs in - whether both inside the "box" or one inside and one wedged between the box and the bag itself - and if it had stayed that way it was going to wear off stamps and scuff and scrape putters.

Without the plastic slot, I've carried the bag around my house, bent over as if picking discs up from the ground or marking with a mini, leaned left and right as if weaving through trees while walking, etc. My discs have not come close to falling out.

I used the past tense because, I don't know what I did (I think I simply got the back end velcro to attach farther "back"), but today when I put the plastic "box" in it is sitting much lower in the "hole."

catalyst_15_ggis_new.jpg

(BTW, the red disc is sticking out farther on purpose. It slides in as far as the white one.)

Before, and I just now noticed I didn't take pictures of the bag with the "plastic box" inside the "hole" when I first got the bag, the top of the "box" was even with the top of the "hole" in the bag. The bottoms were even as well. There was no room on top for a disc, not without bending the top of the box down quite a bit (and given the width, that would still make it tough to jam a putter in. Y'all will have to take my word for it that I tried several times, and putzed around with it at least four or five times. Again, I'm not sure what I did today, but the "box" is sitting about 3/4" lower than it has been.

I've now scrapped my plans to keep the box out. This is better.

Of course, now I have that flap hanging there, in the way of the (smaller) main pocket area. I tried tucking it into the box but it narrows the opening and makes pulling a putter in and out more difficult than I'd like (not to mention it will get dirty pretty quickly as the lower slot would probably be where I put my approach putter - but technically that's the same). Still, tucking it in seems to be the best solution. Bummer.

So, one thing is made better (I get to use the box, and the discs aren't just flopping around in more space than they need), but I liked just velcroing the flap to the inside.

I'm considering just cutting the flap off. I probably won't ever shut it. I see no reason to shut it. It doesn't shut that well anyway… Maybe if I cut it off, I could install a zipper so I can add it back on in the future. Done right a zipper would also add a quarter inch or more so it would shut more easily if I ever wanted to do that.

Anyway, I wrote enough about the Putter Pocket before that I felt the need to add new information to correct some of my old information. Again, I wish I knew what I did - I think (again) that I just kept my fingers beneath the plastic "box" to prevent it from latching on to the front of the rear velcro, and forced it to attach farther back, so it could settle in lower in the "hole."

just wanted to chime in for one of the last times (another to review my bag later) UPS got it together and my bag finally made it to texas. It's in mesquite so HOPEFULLY it will be at my door by tomorrow evening

You're a PR rep. We know what you're going to say. I might recommend you save yourself the time and aggravation, but I don't want to tell you how to do your job or anything… :p

The slot was super super super tight. It was a pain to shove discs in - whether both inside the "box" or one inside and one wedged between the box and the bag itself - and if it had stayed that way it was going to wear off stamps and scuff and scrape putters.

Without the plastic slot, I've carried the bag around my house, bent over as if picking discs up from the ground or marking with a mini, leaned left and right as if weaving through trees while walking, etc. My discs have not come close to falling out.

I used the past tense because, I don't know what I did (I think I simply got the back end velcro to attach farther "back"), but today when I put the plastic "box" in it is sitting much lower in the "hole."

catalyst_15_ggis_new.jpg

(BTW, the red disc is sticking out farther on purpose. It slides in as far as the white one.)

Before, and I just now noticed I didn't take pictures of the bag with the "plastic box" inside the "hole" when I first got the bag, the top of the "box" was even with the top of the "hole" in the bag. The bottoms were even as well. There was no room on top for a disc, not without bending the top of the box down quite a bit (and given the width, that would still make it tough to jam a putter in. Y'all will have to take my word for it that I tried several times, and putzed around with it at least four or five times. Again, I'm not sure what I did today, but the "box" is sitting about 3/4" lower than it has been.

Of course, now I have that flap hanging there, in the way of the (smaller) main pocket area. I tried tucking it into the box but it narrows the opening and makes pulling a putter in and out more difficult than I'd like (not to mention it will get dirty pretty quickly as the lower slot would probably be where I put my approach putter - but technically that's the same). Still, tucking it in seems to be the best solution. Bummer.

So, one thing is made better (I get to use the box, and the discs aren't just flopping around in more space than they need), but I liked just velcroing the flap to the inside.

I'm considering just cutting the flap off. I probably won't ever shut it. I see no reason to shut it. It doesn't shut that well anyway… Maybe if I cut it off, I could install a zipper so I can add it back on in the future. Done right a zipper would also add a quarter inch or more so it would shut more easily if I ever wanted to do that.

Anyway, I wrote enough about the Putter Pocket before that I felt the need to add new information to correct some of my old information. Again, I wish I knew what I did - I think (again) that I just kept my fingers beneath the plastic "box" to prevent it from latching on to the front of the rear velcro, and forced it to attach farther back, so it could settle in lower in the "hole."

You're a PR rep. We know what you're going to say. I might recommend you save yourself the time and aggravation, but I don't want to tell you how to do your job or anything… :p

lol touche my friend, touche. still though I won't be able to contain my excitement!

catalyst_15_ggis_new.jpg

I'm super glad someone else figured this out, too! As I said in my previous post, I was able to get the flap tucked underneath the box without it affecting the opening much at all. I don't have my bag handy, but I don't think I velcroed the flap to the front Velcro strip for the box, I'm pretty sure I pulled it further in.

I'll echo iacas, it just kind of worked after playing around with it.

I've also had no issues with discs falling out of the GGIS.

I'm super glad someone else figured this out, too! As I said in my previous post, I was able to get the flap tucked underneath the box without it affecting the opening much at all. I don't have my bag handy, but I don't think I velcroed the flap to the front Velcro strip for the box, I'm pretty sure I pulled it further in.

I'll echo iacas, it just kind of worked after playing around with it.

I've also had no issues with discs falling out of the GGIS.

Are you able to velcro the flap with putters in it now that the opening has been fixed?

Are you able to velcro the flap with putters in it now that the opening has been fixed?

Its still a little tight and really only needs the discs to slide in another 1/2" or so. Like I said in a post yesterday, I unvelcroed the GGIS from the back of the bag and moved it down about 1" (the piece of Velcro back there is thick). This allowed the discs to slide in a bit further. Getting the box in there right really just makes it easier to get the discs out and fit better vertically.

Used the bag for 3 rounds this past weekend and I was happy with it... It was a little bit tight but I believe after more use it will stretch out a little and be good... I was able to fit everything I needed and I knocked over the bag a few times with out anything falling out...

Messenger_5817459008719182069_13869903108632754.jpg

Messenger_5817473986115051231_13869938818021139.jpg

As you can see I had quite a bit of stuff in there and even with all this stuff I had an open side pocket to fit about 5 cans of beer/soda... Over all the bag was comfortable and a good fit...

During the rounds I had put the go-to flap into the go-to slot under the box that was in there which got it out of my way... The slot was a little tight but fit my putter and the flap closed... Granted closing the flap was a little difficult but I think after it breaks in it will be all good...

The material and build quality felt nice... My thoughts are this bag is going to hold up for me... Only use will tell if it will stretch out a little bit and how durable it is...

I got my bag yesterday, and have played around with it a bit. I figured out a couple cool things that I'll post pictures of shortly, along with my +'s and -'s

Just a couple quick tricks I think will be useful for owners of this bag...

First is the GGI slots. I folded the flap inside the bottom slot, and my putter seems to slide in and out better than before. I also flipped my bottom putter upside down. That also helps the disc slide out easier.

Second is that there is a ton of room BEHIND the discs in a fully loaded bag. You can put an extra disc behind them (pictured). I can pull the disc out with one finger. Put the disc on top of the others and just push it straight back.

I'll post after work to give my pros and cons...

Attachments

• 20131218_071927.jpg
    20131218_071927.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20131218_070109.jpg
    20131218_070109.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 46
  • 20131218_070137.jpg
    20131218_070137.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 55
so i dont get what the GGI slot is. it looks to me like its just a piece of fabric separating it....but its actually a plastic box-like piece?

so i dont get what the GGI slot is. it looks to me like its just a piece of fabric separating it....but its actually a plastic box-like piece?

Yeah, you've got it. A plastic box-like sleeve is really what it is. The material is a pretty rigid.

Think toaster made of plastic and thats about what it is