• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sarah Hokum in a car accident...

Ricky was T-boned and had his car totaled just a few months back. Why no support for him?

All he needed was a friend to start a GOFUNDME like Stuart Mullenberg did for Sarah. And then someone to post a link on here about it. And post pictures of the injuries online. And have it happen during a Major event.

Unless Sarah started it herself but put Stu's name on it, in order to rip off the disc golf community, especially those on DGCR. That's obviously what's going on here.:rolleyes:

Considering that she lives in Idaho and is currently in Pennsylvania quite possibly w/o a means to get home (I have no idea if she came by vehicle or plane) perhaps to help pay for transportation and other incidental expenses to get home. Honestly, $1500 for a trip like that isn't unreasonable.

It's not like anyone is being forced to donate money.

Good point buts it's also okay to ask where money is going. No big deal

You might be able to comment on this more intelligently if you would read the policy. But then again, you might not be able to read that well.

I'd love to know where I could find this policy. I probably wouldn't be able to read it or even understand it, but I'd like to try, at least.

You might be able to comment on this more intelligently if you would read the policy. But then again, you might not be able to read that well.

I had the personal assurance from Brian Graham, in person, and filled out all of the appropriate forms and paper work... and my hospital bills went unpaid by the PDGA.

Even though their insurance was supposed to cover it. Also the incident was caught on film with many witnesses. I unfortunately couldn't afford a lawyer, so I just ate the bills.

So no, I wouldn't count on the PDGA paying for anyone's hospital bills or expenses.

I had the personal assurance from Brian Graham, in person, and filled out all of the appropriate forms and paper work... and my hospital bills went unpaid by the PDGA.

Even though their insurance was supposed to cover it. Also the incident was caught on film with many witnesses. I unfortunately couldn't afford a lawyer, so I just ate the bills.

So no, I wouldn't count on the PDGA paying for anyone's hospital bills or expenses.

Insurance companies are in business to make money. I've been declined myself in the past.

I unfortunately foresee that Sarah playing out the tourney will be ammunition for an insurance company to argue that the accident was not as bad as it may very well have been.

I hope that I'm wrong. Sarah deserves a break.

Why have a million dollars of indemnification, if they can't cover a couple thousand dollar bill?

Insurace is the biggest ripoff imo. It can be useful but more often than not, in my eyes it seems they're just out to screw us.

Assuming that the facts surrounding the accident are accurate and also assuming that the driver that rear-ended Sarah's cars was insured, Sarah should have a legitimate claim for both A) the replacement value of her car, B) a payout under the personal liability clause for "injuries". As it pertains to "injuries" it should be easy for her to get a lawyer on a contingency basis (who will take ~ 30% of the payout) that would get all of her medial bills covered and some amount above and beyond that for "residual discomfort". Again, given the black and white causative factors involved in the accident the insurance company will likely settle the claim as long as Sarah is not aiming for an outlandish amount.

I wonder how much that dude gets paid by the PDGA...

I wonder how much that dude gets paid by the PDGA...

2014 budget payroll was split;

$461,718
Executive Director
+ 7 full time office staff
Interns .....(why are they paid?!)
Temp workers

I wouldnt call him a volunteer i guess but not sure how to find what amount of that total gets paid out per role.

Assuming that the facts surrounding the accident are accurate and also assuming that the driver that rear-ended Sarah's cars was insured, Sarah should have a legitimate claim for both A) the replacement value of her car, B) a payout under the personal liability clause for "injuries". As it pertains to "injuries" it should be easy for her to get a lawyer on a contingency basis (who will take ~ 30% of the payout) that would get all of her medial bills covered and some amount above and beyond that for "residual discomfort". Again, given the black and white causative factors involved in the accident the insurance company will likely settle the claim as long as Sarah is not aiming for an outlandish amount.

I've always been someone who considers not only what someone says, but their credibility to make an informed statement on the subject. As someone who's:
a) an Insurance Profesional
b) TD'd tournies and seems to be pretty well versed on PDGA policies and such

...I'd be very interested to hear what David Sauls has to say on the subject.

:popcorn:

... if he's inclined to say anything at all.

2014 budget payroll was split;

$461,718
Executive Director
+ 7 full time office staff
Interns .....(why are they paid?!)
Temp workers

I wouldnt call him a volunteer i guess but not sure how to find what amount of that total gets paid out per role.

yeah, I looked up their most recent 990 on Guidestar (website for nonprofits info) and had to refer back to the IRS rules. Looks like, as the "key employee," they only have to report his compensation if its over $150K.

...I'd be very interested to hear what David Sauls has to say on the subject.

:popcorn:

... if he's inclined to say anything at all.

He'll say that tort laws and insurance laws vary from state to state, and that he's only in one state, and doesn't generally deal with auto insurance there. So take it with a grain of salt.

Most likely, liability insurance (assuming it existed) will pay for her car based on its value at the time of the loss, not replacement cost. It will pay her medical bills---unless they exceed the limits on the policy. It will pay for a rental car for a limited period of time, perhaps transportation home, perhaps some lost income, and other expenses directly related to the accident. Payment for non-tangible items such as pain and suffering is less certain. The fact that she played a full day of disc golf immediately after would be evidence that she wasn't suffering too much---not proof, she could have a long-term injury, but the opposing attorney is certain to point that out.

That's my guess, not practicing law or insurance there, or know the actual facts of the case.

If you want to help and know your money is going to Sarah you can always got to her website and buy some discs. There's even a bunch of Paige Peirce Stalkers.

http://caliconnectiondg.storenvy.com/

Cali Connection is your connection to cali-themed and inspired disc golf discs, gear and apparel brought to you by two professional disc golfers who love to call California HOME, Don Smith & Sarah Hokom.

We are dedicated to bringing the disc golf community high quality, fashionable and functional apparel and gear!

I didn't snap anything of the hugs/etc when she showed up to the course, but I saw her rip a drive on the first hole she managed to play...

QJsZaw9bpT5ILuQmExOIhllXnBimk4160NRck1PVOe8=w1280-h854-no

I wonder what else she does besides disc golf. Those thighs look pretty damn powerful. I doubt that's from hurling discs.. Bicycling perhaps?