• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Score keeping at Events

attik34

Birdie Member
So, after suffering a scare this weekend on the quarter mile long hole 5 at swope gold, where we finished up and started to take scores only to realize that the person responsible for holding the card at this point had lost the card, I think that there has to be a better system for score keeping.

I know one of my friends said that in ball golf in high school, you'd basically pair up with someone on your card. And keep your score and theirs, and they would do the same. That way you always have something to check against, and if one person loses a card, then everyone is not screwed.

I just feel like there is something lacking in the way we approach this aspect of the game. Closing out Swope gold with an "OMG WHERES THE FREAKING CARD AT" is not fun.

Anyone got any thoughts on how to improve this?

It's really up to individual TDs to decide how they want to handle scorecards. Typically, it's just one card per group because that's the simple way to do it.

At the USDGC (and I'm sure other higher level tournaments) everyone has their own card to keep score for the group, then compare notes after. The only official score on each card is your own.

I always keep my own score on my phone. If the card ever gets lost, I know I have my scores recorded as backup.

I have always kept my own score, call it habit, OCD, whatever. But I do notice about half the folks I play with in tourneys do as well. We've lost and reconstructed a card fairly easily. I would suggest everyone keep their own score, as well as using the official tourney card.

It wont be long till there is an electronic sloution. Everybody has some scorecard app on his smartphone anyway. Why not use the technology allready there.

In my opinion, except at the highest levels, the solutions to the problem aren't worth the effort. I've been playing almost 20 years and TDing much of that time, and never lost a card nor known of a card being re-constructed. But it shouldn't be that hard, and I'd rather make the effort on the vary rare occasion, than constantly duplicate scorekeeping.

At the highest levels, with more on the line, redundancy is more easily justified.

It wont be long till there is an electronic sloution. Everybody has some scorecard app on his smartphone anyway. Why not use the technology allready there.

Perhaps, but phones get misplaced, batteries die, and clumsy fingers can screw up a card, too.

Ive played in a couple events where everyone had a scorecard but kept score for only one person. So, player A is responsible for player B's scores, player B responsible for player C and so on

Latest posts