• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Score Tallying

For a scorecard that looks like:
2 2 3 4 2 3 2 4 2

What I normally say is:
"one down, two down, cancel, cancel, three down: 24."

2 2 5 3 3 4 2 3 5 = cancel, cancel, two up: 29

2 2 4 4 3 3 1 5 3 = one down, two wait start over, cancel, cancel, cancel: 27

This is EXACTLY what I do... 'cept I probably didn't have to start over the last one since I noticed the cancellation right away. :D:D

That said, I'm thinking of switching the to the "start at 27 method" as I see that a lot lately and I can see that being easier for some to follow if they are looking over my shoulder as we count together. My "bogies cancel birdies method" is sometimes questioned.

It should be noted that I've never turned in an incorrect score for myself or anyone on my card... but I also cannot remember the last time I played in a tournament where at least one player did NOT received a penalty for an incorrect score and I played in 36 PDGA tournaments last year alone. Just can't figure out how folks get his wrong when it's pretty easy stuff.

Are you calling me crazy??

Jk. I understand that filobeo's method works out for 18-hole round scores. Since he didn't present an 18-hole round score, I took the opportunity to point out the pitfalls that can occur with some of these over-simplifications.

Ok, sorry about stating the obvious there -- and is it even possible for a bot to be crazy? :confused:

Nothing like the old tried and true method of adding 2 + 2. ;)

Here's kind of a graphic that emphasizes my point. This is a screencap of advanced stats from a course I picked in the directory that is what I would call pretty typical. All holes on here were listed as a Par 3.

9uwutc.jpg

Then I made a spreadsheet from that....

rc5uvc.jpg

On all 18 holes, a result of exactly a 3 occurred at least one third of time, with it happening over 50% of the time on several holes. Also on all 18 holes, a result of 2, 3 or 4 occured at least 80% of the time, with some holes having a result in that range over 90%. And I suspect if you looked at the advanced stats of most holes, on most courses in the directory, you're going to see a very similar spread.

This is why we simplify our math, and why every experienced DG score checker I know uses this method.

Most ball golf courses are a mix of Par 3, 4 and 5 holes. Most ball golfers rarely make these pars and make birdies even less. They often card higher numbers that can be all over the place. I suppose in that situation, its practical to just add them up. 5 plus 6 is 11, plus 5 is 16, etc.

Conversely, once a disc golfer has even an intermediate level of skill, it isn't that hard for them to be carding 3 (or better) on most of the holes they play. Once they reach that level, a 3 will probably be the most common number they card, and the overwhelming number of deviations from 3 will be a 2 or a 4. With those three numbers being represented on scorecards so much, its just easier to ignore the 3's like they're zeroes. Treat 2's as -1's, 4's as +1's, and other numbers accordingly.

Those of us who've been doing it for years, know that its the fastest and most error free method and don't have our judgment clouded by a "ball golf background" say otherwise. Unlike ball golf holes, probably 95+% of disc golf holes really are par 3, and treating the other 5% as something different screws up the efficiency of using this shortcut.

I've been playing ball golf for over 40 years, and I do the same thing as I do with disc golf, only I count my score based on +/- 4 and add/subtract from 36 for each nine holes. For most of the guys I play ball golf with, I do it +/- 5 and add/subtract from 45.

When I play Idlewild I do +/- 4. It has nothing to do with par - it is simply a quick way of adding a set of numbers and coming up with a total. IMO it's not that difficult, but I work with numbers for a living so I have a different POV than most.

Perhaps for tournaments there should be a basic math skills test and if you don't pass you aren't allowed to keep score... (ducking and waiting for hook_nuts to vilify me for dehumanizing those who are mathematically challenged).

I also add up scores based on +/- 3. BUT, still can't believe there are five pages discussing how to add up round totals. I assume all folks on this board made it past third grade.

Most ball golf courses are a mix of Par 3, 4 and 5 holes. Most ball golfers rarely make these pars and make birdies even less. They often card higher numbers that can be all over the place. I suppose in that situation, its practical to just add them up. 5 plus 6 is 11, plus 5 is 16, etc.

Conversely, once a disc golfer has even an intermediate level of skill, it isn't that hard for them to be carding 3 (or better) on most of the holes they play. Once they reach that level, a 3 will probably be the most common number they card, and the overwhelming number of deviations from 3 will be a 2 or a 4. With those three numbers being represented on scorecards so much, its just easier to ignore the 3's like they're zeroes. Treat 2's as -1's, 4's as +1's, and other numbers accordingly.

Those of us who've been doing it for years, know that its the fastest and most error free method and don't have our judgment clouded by a "ball golf background" say otherwise. Unlike ball golf holes, probably 95+% of disc golf holes really are par 3, and treating the other 5% as something different screws up the efficiency of using this shortcut.

I hear you...and I agree, it is quicker to add this way. I actually do that as a check for my total score for any golf. I guess the only thing to watch out for doing the +/- 3 scoring is to remember to add your +/- to 54 instead of the actual total par. Probably wouldn't happen too often, unless distracted.

I'm surprised there is this much discussion about score keeping too! Sorry for my contribution to the confusion! lol

the base 3 method is great, but there are some quick things to consider/confirm before final tally:

when using the base 3 method don't look at the scorecard's overall "par" especially if its printed. add the number of aces/birdies/bogies to the total number of holes.

we had a 1st of the year bag tag event here in Nashville that attracted almost 130 players (one round of golf on a 30 hole layout). and a lot of the scores were tallied incorrectly because they used the base 3 method but added/subtracted the difference by the final course par (Par 94 two par 4 holes and one par 5) instead of 90.

example here:

Disk_Golf_Score_Card.jpg

^par for the course is 60.

but using the base 3 method you will still add the difference to 54 because you're working under the assumption that every hole is 3 strokes.

I know it seems obvious to people who know, to disregard "course par" when tallying up scores for base 3 method, but people can still get confused when its printed out.

Its very easy to remember this when its a typical course number - front 9 back 9 = 18 holes, but a lot of players end up forgetting this when there are courses with unique layouts other than 18 holes. ALWAYS TAKE NOTE OF NUMBER OF HOLES AND MULTIPLY BY THREE BEFOREHAND! DISREGARD COURSE "PAR".

Last edited:
I also add up scores based on +/- 3. BUT, still can't believe there are five pages discussing how to add up round totals. I assume all folks on this board made it past third grade.

and even those that seemingly know how to can't do it without verbalizing each number

I know a lot of people say: "JUST USE A SCORING APP on YOUR PHONE" but the thing with the scoring apps is that they don't make mistakes on final tallies, but the person inputing the scores can definitely make a mistake putting a score.

there's been times during bigger tourneys where it seems like everyone is personally taking their scores down + someone takes the official score, and a guy with a smartphone app. that way you can do a little conference before handing in the card.

Going back to this.

I am that guy who always has the smartphone app, whether casual round, league, or tourney (my OCD makes me record them all). Having used this quite a bit, here are my observations with this:

1 - It IS a lot easier to fat finger a score on a phone than to write down the wrong # with a pencil...especially when I used to have an app that filled in par and I hit +/- as opposed to clicking the actual score.
2 - I have found way more mistakes than I've made. It is amazing how bad folks are at simple math. :)
3 - I now have a nice system for checking - which has the double benefit of checking other errors. After a tourney round I'll read off the scores for all 18 for myself and have a cardmate ensure they match the scorecard. That way if I fat fingered a score I'll know...and if they match...I know the phone doesn't make math mistakes.

On a side note - I have now twice found errors in tourney rounds where the actual scorecard was incorrect. One I'm pretty sure was an honest mistake where with 2 folks with the same first name where their scores were transposed (the guy who shot a 2 got a 3, and vice versa). The other I'm not so sure as the guy who had the card at the time 'forgot' to give himself his OB stroke and gave himself a 3 instead of a circle 4.

After finding these mistakes I'll never stop keeping score on my phone to supplement the official scorecard as it serves a nice double check point.

The EASIEST way to tally your score is with a pencil and paper (or scorecard if you want to go high tech). Add them all up at the end. There's your score. Its simple "rithmatic".

The EASIEST way to tally your score is with a pencil and paper (or scorecard if you want to go high tech). Add them all up at the end. There's your score. Its simple "rithmatic".

In 15 years of playing golf (Ball/Disc), I have literally never played with someone who calculated their score in this manner. If you are suggesting that adding together 18 or more digits is easier than scoring relative to par (or 3's) you are mistaken.

I didnt read all the answers yet, although I saw how I generally tally. That said in tournements at the end of a round when I am often mentally drained I use my phones calculator to list all of my scores, in a line so I can compare back and forth and hit enter. I am right 95% of the time, but no reason not to reassure myself knowing too many people penalized for a bad scorecard.

In 15 years of playing golf (Ball/Disc), I have literally never played with someone who calculated their score in this manner. If you are suggesting that adding together 18 or more digits is easier than scoring relative to par (or 3's) you are mistaken.

Generally true, though if you were with me when I'm shooting in the 70s and 80s, you'd see that "over/under 3" can be made difficult by the right player, and course.

^ For those cards (we all have them at our events, and love them just the same) I use over/under 4 instead of 3.

I do all of the above.

In casual rounds, it's over/under-3, in my head without a card. On a tough course where I'm scoring in the 70s or 80s, I've tried over/under-4, but the "3" is so ingrained that I don't make the adjustment well. Most of the courses I play, over/under-3 works fine.

In tournaments, whether as a TD or a player checking the cards, I add the numbers. I do this regardless of the course. Not because it's easier or quicker, necessarily, but because I know everyone else is using a different system, and if they're making a mistake, I won't make the same mistake. I won't be vulnerable to course par, non-standard number of holes, or losing track of how many over 3 that "11" is. And, I'm pretty good at adding a string of numbers.

i just add them up.... not relative to par, like 2nd grade math style. I even use my fingers sometimes

Latest posts