• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

seal skin socks

Not sure how they'd hold up to constant washing. Wear a decent pair of moisture wicking socks underneath and you may not have to wash them quite as often :D

I just got a pair of these for Christmas. They ROCK! Mine are the knee high type and I have walked into shin high water to retrieve a disc and my feet were still dry afterwards. They even kept my feet dry after wearing the wet shoes the rest of the round. As stated, there is a lack of breathability so my feet sweat a little. But they stay warm and dry (of the outside water, at least).

I use them, they work well. Get the long ones if you want to just walk through creeks and such.

Im very interested in these, but not for DG. I manage a car wash, and I spend up to 10 hours a day on my feet, often times soaked from the knees down. Right now I wear tall rubber boots to keep my feet dry, and they work great - but they're heavy, clunky, and not the most comfortable things to wear. What's the durability of these Seal Skinz? I'd have to wear them every day, and wash them every night. I can't afford a dozen pairs, but if I got three or four pairs and cycled them throughout the week, how long do you think they'd hold up?

I haven't had mine for a long time so I can't give you personal info on the durability BUT I was talking to Noill Golf (who first told me about the socks) and he said after many rounds they do lose a bit of the waterproofing. I think he had his for a couple of years, though. :\

I haven't washed mine yet, I wear a pair of socks under them. :D I don't think they're supposed to get washed often...

_40016649_paris203_ap.jpg

What a stupid shirt. Everyone likes club sandwiches better than seal sandwiches.;)

What a stupid shirt. Everyone likes club sandwiches better than seal sandwiches.;)

Even dumber considering that ho probably hasn't eaten an entire sandwhich in 5 years.

Might have to look into these, my Merrells are getting a little too uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time after 2 years of use.. So i might switch to lighter shoes/heavier socks.

Pretty good

The very first course I played was all open grassy fairways (Crookston).
a2861d05.jpg

The grass was always wet with rain or dew. Your shoes (and feet) would get soaking wet very quickly. Sogging around in wet shoes is no fun. I went searching for a solution. Seal Skins looked like the answer. When I tried them they did keep my feet from getting wet but they made my feet sweat. Not horrible but not dry as it were.
Second problem: size. I wear a size 10.5 shoe. I also have a wide foot so I got the large size socks but my toes felt cramped. It felt like the socks was too small. This tightness would wear on me over a round of 18 holes.
Since I've moved on & I dont throw at Crookston as much I havent needed the socks. Except for the odd Ice Bowl or two.

They suck $hit, spend the extra 15 and just get the goretex. They breathe better and they are lighter and more comfortable

The very first course I played was all open grassy fairways (Crookston).
a2861d05.jpg

The grass was always wet with rain or dew. Your shoes (and feet) would get soaking wet very quickly. Sogging around in wet shoes is no fun. I went searching for a solution. Seal Skins looked like the answer. When I tried them they did keep my feet from getting wet but they made my feet sweat. Not horrible but not dry as it were.
Second problem: size. I wear a size 10.5 shoe. I also have a wide foot so I got the large size socks but my toes felt cramped. It felt like the socks was too small. This tightness would wear on me over a round of 18 holes.
Since I've moved on & I dont throw at Crookston as much I havent needed the socks. Except for the odd Ice Bowl or two.

Everything I've seen about them says they run small. Go 1 size larger than you think you need.

They will lose their waterproofing after a few washes but they are great for the wet grass. I wear a waterproof set of NorthFace shoes on rainy days.

Dumb Question. Why not just buy shoes with a waterproof breathable membrane? love my Keens, although they are to warm and don't breathe very well. I was thinking of buying these and using them with my nice and light trail shoes.

Am I the only one slightly freaked out by the idea of wearing seal skin socks?

EDIT: Just googled these. Relieved to find that they are not made of seals.

They suck $hit, spend the extra 15 and just get the goretex. They breathe better and they are lighter and more comfortable

Are you referring to Goretex shoes?

Yeah, those don't cut it in two feet of snow and 20 degree weather or less. :rolleyes:

ejv said:
Go 1 size larger than you think you need.

^this. No problems with mine fitting well, plenty of room, fit in my shoes fine. I did have to loosen the laces, but it's not like I wouldn't be wearing the 'skinz all winter anyways.

Dumb Question. Why not just buy shoes with a waterproof breathable membrane? love my Keens, although they are to warm and don't breathe very well. I was thinking of buying these and using them with my nice and light trail shoes.

I double up and go with with the Seal Skinz/gortex boot combo. I usually only wear them on really rainy days or on snow days. The benefit of Seal Skinz on snow days is huge when the built in gaiters on my cheap snow pants inevitably fail as any snow that gets in the top of my boot becomes a non-issue.

They are also great for sledding ;)

Am I the only one slightly freaked out by the idea of wearing seal skin socks?

EDIT: Just googled these. Relieved to find that they are not made of seals.

They're not? Damnit.. I figured each pair would come with a picture of a person clubbing the seal they made the socks out of.

Get the Rocky goretex socks instead, they are way better than seal skins.

Are you referring to Goretex shoes?

Yeah, those don't cut it in two feet of snow and 20 degree weather or less. :rolleyes:

^this. No problems with mine fitting well, plenty of room, fit in my shoes fine. I did have to loosen the laces, but it's not like I wouldn't be wearing the 'skinz all winter anyways.

No, gore tex socks. I wear them year round and they are great. They keep the feet dry, keep the chigger/ivy off of your ankles, they breathe a helluva lot better. They last me about a year or so before they start to breakdown and need to be replaced but 35-40$ a year is well worth it! And combine them with some Merrall gore tex shoes and your great. And yes they both work in snow, but 2 feet, you might need to stay at home, or at least I am

Last edited:
Get the Rocky goretex socks instead, they are way better than seal skins.

Exactly! Cabelas make some that are good too, but I still will take Rocky first

No, gore tex socks. I wear them year round and they are great. They keep the feet dry, keep the chigger/ivy off of your ankles, they breathe a helluva lot better. They last me about a year or so before they start to breakdown and need to be replaced but 35-40$ a year is well worth it! And combine them with some Merrall gore tex shoes and your great. And yes they both work in snow, but 2 feet, you might need to stay at home, or at least I am

Hmmm, I might have to look into these...thanks!

Hmmm, I might have to look into these...thanks!

Im telling you, they are greatness! I know alot of people including myself dont like spending 40 on socks but they are worth it. So comfortable they can be worn year round, even during the brutal Texas summer, and they dont stink your feet like the seal skins. And the chigger thing is big here too, and those little bastards havent figured out how to get through gore tex...yet. $hit if you dont like em and they are my size Ill take em for backup