• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Shall I quit putting with a Zone

you sound like someone who would like a Colt.....

That or a Bullfrog, a 1-2 in glide is unheard of and the disc mold will act like an approach putter. XT has changed, apparently I was not aware until sometime this year that it went from stiff to tad softer like late 2000's DX but still XT or 2000's DX like in grip without much wax to the mold if any. Odd that Innova is like that, but not surprising with the plastics that Innova makes.

I bag a Zone. And I putt with Rhynos. For much the same reason. Low glide, low profile. I prefer the Stiff Pro or good DX (flat top) Rhynos. I actually found several Ontario molded r-Pro that were 168-169g that are from the older preferred stiffer Pro. Also, the ones from the Factory Store are pretty good too.

...the low profile and grip are perfect for my smaller hands, but I seem to be hitting a wall. Inside of 25ft, I don't want anything else in my hand At around circle's edge, the overstability and lack of glide starts to show. ...

You could try an Innova Rat? Supposed to by a Zone clone, but at speeds they are much more neutral. I'd guess that in circle 2 though, they would have the same dump as the Zone. Might be worth a try. That and a P3 by Discmania. Same wing as the Zone, but all the ones I've seen have more shoulder and dome. Could add some glide?

If you like the feel of the profile and of Jawbreaker (<3) though, I say stick with it. As I understand it, they made it initially for MJ when he came over to Discraft, and he putted with them. Later they came out with the Ringer for him, and most recently the Ringer GT. Both of which, are very low profile putters, that I suggest you try. MJ doesn't have problems outside the circle with his. He has a flat to seemingly slight anny release to get the disc to fly straight:
https://giant.gfycat.com/LiveJoyfulBuffalo.webm

Go to 2:13 to see the angle he putts at:

You could try an Innova Rat? Supposed to by a Zone clone, but at speeds they are much more neutral. I'd guess that in circle 2 though, they would have the same dump as the Zone. Might be worth a try. That and a P3 by Discmania. Same wing as the Zone, but all the ones I've seen have more shoulder and dome. Could add some glide?

If you like the feel of the profile and of Jawbreaker (<3) though, I say stick with it. As I understand it, they made it initially for MJ when he came over to Discraft, and he putted with them. Later they came out with the Ringer for him, and most recently the Ringer GT. Both of which, are very low profile putters, that I suggest you try. MJ doesn't have problems outside the circle with his. He has a flat to seemingly slight anny release to get the disc to fly straight:
https://giant.gfycat.com/LiveJoyfulBuffalo.webm

Go to 2:13 to see the angle he putts at:

I thought MJ was always with Discraft? Did MJ switch from Discraft a one point?

I thought MJ was always with Discraft? Did MJ switch from Discraft a one point?

Picked up in 2004. He used to putt Rhynos. Switched to Discraft for the 2008 season...and the Zone came out that year.
attachment.php

Attachments

• MJ Innova.jpg
    MJ Innova.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Wardens in that rubbery classic stuff aren't that deep, warlocks are deep but the shape is pretty similar to a zone imo.

I was geonna suggest a rat but I could never imagine putting with one. They same goes for a zone though.. Pro D zone should be the least stable?

I putt with a Zone. But only if it's stupid windy. Normal conditions I much prefer a more traditional putter.

I do the same. Zones work good in the wind. What plastic do you use?

I do the same. Zones work good in the wind. What plastic do you use?

I was using jawbreaker. I only bag one Zone though and it is currently a Crystal Z FLX sparkle or whatever they call it. Kind of a flexible, squishy plastic with some glitter in it.

I was using jawbreaker. I only bag one Zone though and it is currently a Crystal Z FLX sparkle or whatever they call it. Kind of a flexible, squishy plastic with some glitter in it.

That's what I'm bagging too. Works well. It is invisible though, luckily I don't throw it very far.

P3s are nowhere as overstable as Zones. They also do have a different feel. Both are shallow, but the Zone top is flat, whereas the P3 has a dome ... but more important for putting feel (for me) is the underside of the flight plate. There the Zone has pretty much a rectangular angle between flight plate and rim, whereas the P3 has some upwards curve (even when the top is flat). This is the reason the Zone feels awkward for putting for me. Otherwise I would probably putt with a really beat in JB Zone.

This is what I suggest. As you seem to like the Zone for putting, beat one of your JB Zones a lot to make it straighter. Then use that one for the longer putts.

Besides, longer putts are more a putting technique topic, as you need to transfer more energy into your disc. Maybe that's more the problem. Although good technique lets your putts fly farther, it doesn't remove the fade and hyzer landing angle or the need for anny releases to compensate that.

Latest posts