• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Dynamic] Sheriff

Quick Sheriff update. I've found the perfect Sheriffs. Metal flake optos. What wonderful bombers. They fly like Shrykes, but with 5 glide instead of 6. They'll turn over noticeably when you throw them, but they have enough fight in them to come back strong late in flight. Huge S curve flights and big distance. These Sheriffs will fly reliably 400'+ and not totally dive bomb right.

Been tossing a couple metal flake Sheriffs lately and had great success. Anyone who has found fuzion or biofuzion Sheriffs to be too flippy should definitely check these out. IMO they're the best Sheriffs I've seen yet.

They call those "Lucid sparkle", do they not? If so, I have a Lucid sparkle Sheriff, and it is more OS than the Fuzion Sheriffs, which I find to be very good distance drivers for those with less-than-professional-grade arms.

They call those "Lucid sparkle", do they not? If so, I have a Lucid sparkle Sheriff, and it is more OS than the Fuzion Sheriffs, which I find to be very good distance drivers for those with less-than-professional-grade arms.

Crap, I guess I meant lucid. For some reason I was thinking of L64's good plastic.:doh:

I've had varying luck with fuzion or biofuzion Sheriffs. They're all over the place.

Surprisingly quiet on the Sheriff front. Apparently Paige Shue isn't creating that much pop for the mold.

Anyway, I like how Sheriff is described as the beat in Raider, but the one Lucid I have is not really that. It has the same HSS, but even dumpier fade. It is almost board flat so I'm not a huge fan of the shape either.

Is the Sheriff just hugely inconsistent or is there a way to identify that beat in Raider type somehow?

I bag a Captain as well, but that gets too flippy after some time. Brand new they are close to what I'm looking for.

Surprisingly quiet on the Sheriff front. Apparently Paige Shue isn't creating that much pop for the mold.

Anyway, I like how Sheriff is described as the beat in Raider, but the one Lucid I have is not really that. It has the same HSS, but even dumpier fade. It is almost board flat so I'm not a huge fan of the shape either.

Is the Sheriff just hugely inconsistent or is there a way to identify that beat in Raider type somehow?

I bag a Captain as well, but that gets too flippy after some time. Brand new they are close to what I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure Paige hasn't played at all this year.

The Sheriff is still a good mold, but I just feel like people have moved on to other/newer molds.

Flat Sheriffs stink. You need them with dome.

IMO, the Sheriff is pretty inconsistent. I've seen everything from really flippy to really glideless/overstable with them. The Raider is way more consistent from disc to disc, IMO.

The longest (and flippiest) Sheriffs I've seen have all been Fuzion or Biofuzion. These tend to glide very well.

Captain is fun, but can flip too much at times.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Paige hasn't played at all this year.

The Sheriff is still a good mold, but I just feel like people have moved on to other/newer molds.

Flat Sheriffs stink. You need them with dome.

IMO, the Sheriff is pretty inconsistent. I've seen everything from really flippy to really glideless/overstable with them. The Raider is way more consistent from disc to disc, IMO.

The longest (and flippiest) Sheriffs I've seen have all been Fuzion or Biofuzion. These tend to glide very well.

Captain is fun, but can flip too much at times.
Thanks a lot. All that makes sense and how I would've guessed it goes.

I actually prefer Fuzion and some dome, so if I can only find one somewhere then I'll give it a go.

PS. You are probably correct about Paige. I just see the Paige Shue Sheriffs available everywhere and was wondering why there is no discussions anywhere, but again you are probably correct that the latest FOTM has taken over multiple times by now.

I have been only throwing sheriffs as my distance driver. I've been trying the different paige shue ones and I feel like I am the only one. This is what I have found out about sheriffs so far. The flippiest are definitely biofuzion, the ones I have gotten were used and if I dont put a lot of hyzer they will turn into rollers. I have some regular lucid and a fuzion one I need to try. The metallic lucid ones are my favorite, they turn just a little for me and then fade at the end. I use them as turn overs or slight hyzer straight shots. The regular lucid x sheriff with a badge really disappointed me. I think it is the same level of stability as the metallic lucid ones but doesnt seem to fade as hard at the end. Really weird. I have two domey glimmer lucid x paige shue ones that are really overstable, I threw one of my friends raptors and these domey pink sheriffs are more overstable. There is the Halloween moonshine lucid x sheriff that is in between the super overstable and the stable metallic lucid ones. Right now I am using the Halloween one as an overstable driver, the lucid metallic as my main driver, and the biofuzion as my more understable driver.

I have been only throwing sheriffs as my distance driver. I've been trying the different paige shue ones and I feel like I am the only one. This is what I have found out about sheriffs so far. The flippiest are definitely biofuzion, the ones I have gotten were used and if I dont put a lot of hyzer they will turn into rollers. I have some regular lucid and a fuzion one I need to try. The metallic lucid ones are my favorite, they turn just a little for me and then fade at the end. I use them as turn overs or slight hyzer straight shots. The regular lucid x sheriff with a badge really disappointed me. I think it is the same level of stability as the metallic lucid ones but doesnt seem to fade as hard at the end. Really weird. I have two domey glimmer lucid x paige shue ones that are really overstable, I threw one of my friends raptors and these domey pink sheriffs are more overstable. There is the Halloween moonshine lucid x sheriff that is in between the super overstable and the stable metallic lucid ones. Right now I am using the Halloween one as an overstable driver, the lucid metallic as my main driver, and the biofuzion as my more understable driver.
What kind of distance are you getting out of them? The sheriff seems to be a mold you can "easily" find all the stability's to cover your lines.

With the metallic lucid I am getting 350-360 with a slight anny release. The straight hyzer shot is closer to 330. These are conservative distances. On a wide open 500 ft hole with no ob, I was doing some big sky annys with the flippy biofuzion one and getting closer to 400. I want to try an anny release with the Halloween one to see if it has a little more fight. I get a little nervous putting too much anny on the metallic lucid because it won't always come back.

With the metallic lucid I am getting 350-360 with a slight anny release. The straight hyzer shot is closer to 330. These are conservative distances. On a wide open 500 ft hole with no ob, I was doing some big sky annys with the flippy biofuzion one and getting closer to 400. I want to try an anny release with the Halloween one to see if it has a little more fight. I get a little nervous putting too much anny on the metallic lucid because it won't always come back.

Have you tried the Captain? It doesn't seem like you quite have the arm to really smash a Sheriff. Sheriffs can be a little beefy, and can be pushed out to 450'+. At 350' you probably aren't getting much (if any) turn out of it.

Thanks for the advice. The captain is actually perfect for my average arm speed. I have a weird issue (I haven't met anyone that relates to this yet) where I throw with a lot more power in competitive rounds. I'm throwing the same lines but throwing about 50ft farther. When my discs are just right for my casual arm speed I will start turning them over from added power, not oat. That ends up making me a little nervous to throw and so I start trying to slow down my arm speed and then the discs acts more overstable then I am used to. No idea why I do this. I learned I have to throw discs that are a little too overstable for my casual self, that are riding hyzer and land about 20-30 ft short. This way in a competitive round they will end up going further before fading out and not turning over. I'm going to go to a field tomorrow and throw the sheriffs for distance and see what my distances really are, average and max and I'll let you know. Based on what I find maybe there is a better disc to do this with.

I should also add that my goal isn't really to get more distance by turning something over. I might be approaching it completely wrong, but I try to only throw straight lines that dont ever risk turning over and then hyzer out as soon as they slow down. I know getting the full s shot can get more distance but I find those shots to be inconsistent for me, for whatever reason.

By all means, throw something that will turn over and S curve. Just make sure it's a disc with enough late fade to come back at the end of flight.

You don't always NEED the disc to turn/flip, but on long, open holes you can pick up 50' easily by doing so.

Finally got out to a field to see what my actual distances are. I threw the blue metal flake one on average 375ft, my longest was 387. The flight was straight release, slight turn, and small fade. Those throws were probably 10-15 feet off the ground. With the flippier biofuzion one I had a tough time finding the right angle and ended up turning it over more often than not. I think if I hit the right line I could get a lot more distance with this one. My longest with the biofuzion was 403ft and was my longest measured throw ever.

Finally got out to a field to see what my actual distances are. I threw the blue metal flake one on average 375ft, my longest was 387. The flight was straight release, slight turn, and small fade. Those throws were probably 10-15 feet off the ground. With the flippier biofuzion one I had a tough time finding the right angle and ended up turning it over more often than not. I think if I hit the right line I could get a lot more distance with this one. My longest with the biofuzion was 403ft and was my longest measured throw ever.

You might try to throw a little higher. You'll gain more distance that way. The thing is, you have to keep the disc from stalling.

I know when I'm throwing well/far, my best throws are probably more like 30-40' off the ground.

Sheriffs are ridiculously far flying, but seem to be pretty wind sensitive. It was a good disc for me, but eventually was taken out of the bag because its too much of a tweener. Whereas beat in lucid trespasses are my controlled turnover or woodsy hyzer flip disc, but raider is more of my max distance bomber. I found that having a beat in lucid trespass, hybrid trespass, lucid x trespass, and lucid raider-my drivers are pretty covered. I didn't really feel like the sheriff fit in anymore. I'm in NC, so I play a lot of woods golf, so the Trespass variations make more sense in my bag than the Sheriff.

I also had a lucid x sheriff (the one with the big badge on it) which turned out to be more stable than I had anticipated. Which is dumb on my part because I know what a big difference LX plastic makes. I was a little disappointed in it, but it flew similar to my lucid x trespass which is pretty stable.

Latest posts