• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shifting a concrete pad?

Jody Mitchell

Eagle Member
How about just pushing one over a few inches?

We're having a new course put in and the city workers put #5's concrete pad right in front of tree. It needs to be shifted over about 16 inches. Could a Bobcat or Backhoe just push it?

Here's the catch, they poured 2 inches of gravel into the form, then added 4 inches of concrete. Think they could dig a small 16 inch area where it needs to slide to, then push it with the tractor or would this bust it up? It's only a little over a foot. I've seen the moving teepad thread but their's had no gravel under it so I'm thinking this might be a more difficult task.

Any advice? See horrible drawing below for an idea on what I'm asking about. We wanted it through the trees, not the tree directly in front.

Before anyone suggests adding 16 inches of concrete to it, we're not allowed to manipulate the size of any teepad, they said, this was made known to us from day one and there's no exceptions. That's out of the question. Also, we can't cut the tree down either.

teepad.jpg

Frickin city workers and their rush jobs.

:wall:

you cane live with it or just threw in to the tree tell it dies and the city cuts it down. but you will not be moving that pad there well it will brake up if not down right. but i am not a concert worker so.

This tree has huge girth. It's a giant pine. About 2 ft. thick.

When the heat dies down and the city guys are out there again, I'll ask them. They might have a forklift or a fork accessory for a bobcat that can get under it, pick it up and move it over.

I dunno, it's their fault so maybe they can fix it.

This tree has huge girth. It's a giant pine. About 2 ft. thick.

When the heat dies down and the city guys are out there again, I'll ask them. They might have a forklift or a fork accessory for a bobcat that can get under it, pick it up and move it over.

I dunno, it's their fault so maybe they can fix it.

Can't they make an exception, because its their fault in the first place, and just form a 16 inch wide strip on the edge of the original pad and pour more concrete? Unless its rebarred, its gonna break into pieces moving it and you are going to end up re-pouring the pad anyway

We have moved concrete tees @ hyzer creek. They were poured in the parking lot and trailer out to thier locations. We used comealongs to move them in place after coming off the trailer. Can you pry up the pad? Or dig out under the ends 6" in. If so use a tow strap wrap it around the pad and use a comealong to pull it over the 16". I would dig out the side its moving to and put down the gravel base before you pull it.

Last edited:
Looks like a disc golfer wasn't there to supervise.......... definitely not friendly to the lefty BH.

Long story, short. We were asked to leave once we walked them through the park pointing out all 18 tee locations. They got 17 out of 18 right for the first course in this city. Not our fault, theirs, their boss was stern on having us out of their way that day. Once they found all the pad markers.

As far as it not being friendly to a LHBH, that's the reason we're wanting it shifted over, the trees are plenty far enough away to avoid injury though, it's just that the pad is not lined up with this hole's fairway. It's not in it's intended location. I didn't want to get into why it was poured this way, but how to fix it. Again, it's not mine nor any of the design team's fault, it was out of our hands.

Here's a pic of the hole and fairway.

capturezvy.jpg

The orange flag is now the front/right corner of the pad, about 8 feet back from the trees. The fairway for this hole is directly through the 2 trees and the basket is way down on the far right hand side by the bush at the end.

The orange flag is supposed to be the front center, but like I said, that's not how it was poured.

I think I'm just going to convince them to add 16 more inches of concrete to the right side of it, if they won't do it, maybe they can just let the club do it.

Even though I'm right-handed, I don't think courses should be biased towards right-handers.

It was just ridiculous for them to place it like that. I shouldn't be surprised though, it was city workers work but maybe they'll let us fix it if they don't want to.

I'm waiting on a call now from their supervisor to get the final verdict.

We have moved concrete tees @ hyzer creek. They were poured in the parking lot and trailer out to thier locations. We used comealongs to move them in place after coming off the trailer. Can you pry up the pad? Or dig out under the ends 6" in. If so use a tow strap wrap it around the pad and use a comealong to pull it over the 16". I would dig out the side its moving to and put down the gravel base before you pull it.

This is exactly what a friend suggested. He's got plenty of experience in this type of stuff so maybe that will work if they'll do it or let us do it.

Here's the options;

1 - Suck it up and leave it as is. (it's not horrible, it's just not where it was originally intended)

2 - Somehow shift it over

3 - Pour 16 inches on the right side

4 - Remove the tree on the left (More than likely a BIG NO!!!)

5 - Learn to enjoy this difficult pad position.

Option 3 is by far the best. Don't try to move it, you'll break it, or you, and still waste the time and money. Pour a 16in strip, although not beautiful is much easier, and will achieve what you want. Don't cut down a tree just because the installers were idiots. I would rather have it stay than cut down the tree or move it. You could even do a strip that small with bags and a wheelbarrow. One afternoon and done.

I agree with some others here; unless there is reinforcing steel in the pad, the likelihood of being able to move it successfully is pretty small. Plus, even in you put down a new gravel base on the right side, you'll likely get a pad that sits uneven, has washout problems or cracks quickly after a few weather cycles.

You may have a similar issue with the 16" addition as you'll have a joint running the length of the pad and since the aspect ration of the addition is so poor, it will more than likely crack across the addition as well. Then your local golfers will have something to bitch about in a year or two.

So the way I see it, I think your best bet is to ask permission to demo the entire pad and reinstall it yourself.

Or call it the signature hole of the course.

Just talked with the supervisor, he's meeting me out there in the morning, he said they'll more than likely add to it or just destroy the one there now and pour a whole new 5x10 pad.

Problem solved.

Whew. :)

Concrete Tee pads are easy to move, so long as it did not stick to ground bedrock. We have moved hole 7 at our course numerous times due to construction. Then 18 was moved to a new spot due to a fence being installed only a month ago. Never had a problem.

I recommend a forklift for the job.

PS. Our tee's are not re-enforced and are only about 3-4 inches thick. They have NO damage to them what so ever.

Just got back from out there, they moved it. To those who said it couldn't be done, I don't know why you'd say that, they dug it up, lifted and moved within 15 minutes.

cjskier's method worked 100%. They attached forks to the backhoe.

Thanks.

Just got back from out there, they moved it. To those who said it couldn't be done, I don't know why you'd say that, they dug it up, lifted and moved within 15 minutes.

cjskier's method worked 100%. They attached forks to the backhoe.

Thanks.

Thank you! First time anyone has validated anything I have EVER said on here, lol. I think too many people just answer with an assumption, instead of what they know. Glad it worked out for you guys!

Latest posts