• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Shimmer and Luster Plastics

Haha, the whole Airborn site looks down. You guys crashed Airborn trying to buy shimmer and luster Destroyers! What a bunch of jerks. ;)

Not really interested in these if they are soft. Don't really have a place in my bag for that stuff. Isn't there a bunch of Star plastic out there between GStar and "good" Star already?

Does Innova have a plastic that is similar to Trilogy's fluid/ elasto blend? Is that gummy Champ? Seems like a logical thing for Innova to look into if not.

they aren't soft.
I bag S/DS and these are worthy bagmates. The Shimmers feel and are shaped like a destroyer should in my opinion. Played around with the Luster first... the ones I have are domey and stiff and the one I'm throwing is dependably beeftastic

I got a luster colossus in my BG Ams player pack. It doesn't look all that different from older champion, may be a touch more cloudy that the JL type plaster. Stiff but not rock hard, Has bubbles in the rim(for weight im guessing its still 175g).

Last edited:
I have yet to see or try but I've got a few shimmer Teebirds and Destroyers headed my way in the near future. And I could not be more pumped about it. Can't wait to see them in person and there is no question they will get bagged.

Not really interested in these if they are soft. Don't really have a place in my bag for that stuff. Isn't there a bunch of Star plastic out there between GStar and "good" Star already?

It was mostly stuff ran last year. Surely their are still plenty of soft star discs floating around shelves still, but all the more recently ran stuff has been phenomenal grippy, stiff good star. I just got a McBeth destroyer that feels like the S/DS plastic.

Luster/shimmer thus far to me (and I am a target niche/experiential market buyer) look like camo-off-the-fairway-In-shadows-hard-find. Like disscraft Ti or Lat recycled. Pretty in hand, but blends into nature. Show me some higher 'contrast' to nature and I will try some molds.

Aside: Chartreuse yellow or pepto pink Valks and I jump on em to try

^Pepto Pink. LoL. I did notice, from the pictures, they seem to run them in darker colors and had the same thought.

Just ordered a shimmer roc3. I've been wanting a Star or GStar one to complement my champ roc3's but haven't pulled the trigger. Maybe this will be the perfect in between of the two.

Does Innova have a plastic that is similar to Trilogy's fluid/ elasto blend? Is that gummy Champ? Seems like a logical thing for Innova to look into if not.

This was my first thoughts on this, also. These shimmer/luster LOOK like GStar plastic. I am already seeking firm(er) Star plastic even as Star has gone softer and softer (towards GStar), to which my Star Roc3s can attest. I'll wait until I actually handle one to judge, but if these new things are no firmer than the soft Star we've been getting lately, I won't bother.

Luster/shimmer thus far to me (and I am a target niche/experiential market buyer) look like camo-off-the-fairway-In-shadows-hard-find. Like disscraft Ti or Lat recycled. Pretty in hand, but blends into nature. Show me some higher 'contrast' to nature and I will try some molds.
Aside: Chartreuse yellow or pepto pink Valks and I jump on em to try

Agreed.
Aside: I like chartreuse and pink discs for their visibility, also.

This was my first thoughts on this, also. These shimmer/luster LOOK like GStar plastic. I am already seeking firm(er) Star plastic even as Star has gone softer and softer (towards GStar), to which my Star Roc3s can attest. I'll wait until I actually handle one to judge, but if these new things are no firmer than the soft Star we've been getting lately, I won't bother.

Agreed.
Aside: I like chartreuse and pink discs for their visibility, also.

I don't agree with this. I think you keep citing a star roc 3 that you bought from the factory store like 18 months ago or something.

The recent run of star has not been anywhere close to gstar. Some of it has been rock hard (like the thunderbirds) and the rest has been not at all what I would characterize as floppy. It reminds me of the old school star plastic.

I don't agree with this. I think you keep citing a star roc 3 that you bought from the factory store like 18 months ago or something.

The recent run of star has not been anywhere close to gstar. Some of it has been rock hard (like the thunderbirds) and the rest has been not at all what I would characterize as floppy. It reminds me of the old school star plastic.

No, not 18 months ago, and I have three soft Star Roc3s. One of them, one cannot even tell the difference between it and GStar.

I do agree that some Star runs are more firm, and the Thunderbird is a decent example. My Hannah Leatherman Tern also is in that nice firm Star plastic.

I definitely yearn for the old school Star plastic. I would say that Lat 64's Gold Line plastic is my ideal for very firm plastic, and the firm Star plastic is not far off from that and is very good.

I agree. Last year's runs were the floppy ones. The new stuff out is really stiff and awesome

No, not 18 months ago, and I have three soft Star Roc3s. One of them, one cannot even tell the difference between it and GStar.

I do agree that some Star runs are more firm, and the Thunderbird is a decent example. My Hannah Leatherman Tern also is in that nice firm Star plastic.

I definitely yearn for the old school Star plastic. I would say that Lat 64's Gold Line plastic is my ideal for very firm plastic, and the firm Star plastic is not far off from that and is very good.

not sure how you know about old school star...

Are all the star Roc 3s from the factory store? Maybe it's an older run. idk.

not sure how you know about old school star...
Are all the star Roc 3s from the factory store? Maybe it's an older run. idk.

Old school discs are still out there... there are some PFN discs out there, etc.

My soft Roc3s are not from the Factory Store; in fact, my firmest Roc3s are F2s from the Factory Store.

Anyhoo, this Shimmer and Luster discs look nice but look like GStar, and they sound softer than what I'm looking for. Those who like them, have at them and enjoy them...

SD 86 - they sound soft? feel them and I think you'll be surprised. I don't like soft discs either

also, the newest star blends in destroyers are stiff (finally!) .